Chief Brief’s - St John’s Edition | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Chief Brief’s - St John’s Edition

Reaction Score
I don’t think that would have happened with Sanogo in the game. Where I don’t agree with the critics is that Hurley has this smartest person complex. Like most successful people, he can have a healthy confident attitude sometimes but generally speaking, he can be self demeaning and can make fun of himself. He can see the humor in things. Inflexible at times in the short term - of course and that’s what he needs to work on. I wish he would ripe up Game plans more and ride the hot hand. But, one poster is correct - I expect more time for Adama next game but it will be Dan’s decision not ours. As Chief mentioned, I got a 4 letter word earful when I suggested something to Calhoun once but did see evidence he thought about it later but if I was stupid enough to inquiry again I am sure whatever changed had nothing to do with what I said! A friend of Chief had the famous “call off the dogs” comment to Calhoun at the Q game against Tom Moore. Of course, he responded what the “F” do you want me to do (think we are so much better we can’t help leading by 40 points) but then did put in the walkons that snowy day at the fairly empty XL, after pouting on the bench for 30 seconds. By then, it was his decision not hers, however there’s no doubt he thought she was right. In fact, he took her advice another time after that. Chief also knew that Pat was the boss off the court. So if it was a female he liked and respected - he might be more likely to listen and change fairly quickly on a people thing - and that was really about his relationship with Tom Moore.
One of the traits hurley has that made him the coach he is today is his stubbornness. Sometimes it’s not a great quality. He will adjust as time goes on

Reaction Score
And that’s a result of us not playing our bigs at that time.
Agree, also when your getting blown by on the outside and the weak side defender has to show we were giving them the weak side offensive rebound opportunity.

C

Chief00

One of the traits hurley has that made him the coach he is today is his stubbornness. Sometimes it’s not a great quality. He will adjust as time goes on
True, oftens one’s best traits are also their worse traits. It’s a balancing act. Suggest the coaches built a RE-SET or two into their in game routine. Could be a brief coaches huddle at start of one of official TV timeouts and a longer one at halftime - with the question - what do we need to do different than our game plan.

Reaction Score
Really, stop the whining about the best player out. This was a winnable game but the coaching was bad. Two game changer. We have a 14 point lead and NO to until it dwindles to 1 point. Later in the last minute we have a 4/11 shooter in the game who is a 60%FT shooter. He then iron outs TWO ft in the last minute. As a guard he shouldn't be in the court with those numbers in the last minute of a winnable game

C

Chief00

Really, stop the whining about the best player out. This was a winnable game but the coaching was bad. Later in the last minute we have a 4/11 shooter in the game who is a 60%FT shooter. He then iron outs TWO ft in the last minute. As a guard he shouldn't be in the court with those numbers in the last minute of a winnable game
You kind of answered your own question but not in the way you planned. Why was that 60% foul shooter in the game? Bouknight being out perhaps? Cole, Adams, Martin and Whaley FT% are unacceptable. Hurley right now is playing with two key guys above 71%. That explains a lot. Adama is at 50% but just 1 for 2 - so I leave him out. Akok is just beginning to get in the mix, so leaving him out as well.
FT’s %
Gaffney - 90%
Polley - 84%
Bouknight - 80% but out
Cole - 71%
Adams - 68%
Martin - 59%
Whaley - 54%

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Coach's son would be a better chance than a firm 60% FT shooter in the final minute. And not stopping a run till the lead is all gone is not new. He coached like that at RI. ebb and flow of the game is really important and that is a flaw of this coach

C

Chief00

As is customary with a game at Noon, Chief is officially closing this Briefs discussion. Chief would like to thank everyone for their wonderful participation. The OP is always just the starting point. Thank you, Chief

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom