Chay Shegog... What does this say about UNC? | The Boneyard

Chay Shegog... What does this say about UNC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Quote:
"“I had heard how intense it is. In college you will have some players who will put everything out on the floor, just one or two players. But in the pros, you have everybody giving 110 percent. Eveyrody is going beyond the level they’re expected to go and you just have to really push yourself to match their intensity because it’s not like college where you could get away with slacking off.”

:eek: OMG!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
That's because UConn is more physical, not because they outwork other teams. Sylvia Hatchell said so, and thus it must be true.

Reaction Score
BUT THEY LET THE KIDS PLAY WITH NO STRUCTURE! RUN AND GUN! THE KIDS LOVE IT! FAB 5 HERE WE COME!!! :confused:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
...and she just proved why UConn players are so successful in the pros. And make up HALF the Olympic team.
And why D, Sue, Swin ... all have multiple WNBA titles and international titles.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
How many UCONN alums have multiple WNBA titles?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Well, the good thing about 16-17 year olds is that they are 16-17 years old (ah for those days). But it's double down for why it's also the bad thing when it comes to making life decisions. That being said, Hatchell's kids have beaten our kids a few times, not to say as well that Chapel Hill ain't a bad place to go to college.

Reaction Score
At some colleges, you could get away with slacking off. But when the other team doesn't, you could lose by 50. And they did.

That's because UConn is more physical, not because they outwork other teams. Sylvia Hatchell said so, and thus it must be true.

BUT THEY LET THE KIDS PLAY WITH NO STRUCTURE! RUN AND GUN! THE KIDS LOVE IT! FAB 5 HERE WE COME!!! :confused:

Well, the good thing about 16-17 year olds is that they are 16-17 years old (ah for those days). But it's double down for why it's also the bad thing when it comes to making life decisions. That being said, Hatchell's kids have beaten our kids a few times, not to say as well that Chapel Hill ain't a bad place to go to college.

May I also add UConn's record against North Carolina presently stands at 7-5 with UConn having won the last five games. The only time in this series that the better team may have lost was back in 1994.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Shegog is a great example of a player with great potential, but who underachieved in college, probably due to inadequate coaching. I have been impressed with her natural ability a few times, and in the right situation, she could develop into a very good pro.

One situation that would be great for her is to make the Sun roster and back up Tina.. I am assuming the Sun has reasonably good post coaching, and if they do, that combined with daily workouts against Tina would be great for Shegog.

Reaction Score
Shegog is a great example of a player with great potential, but who underachieved in college, probably due to inadequate coaching. I have been impressed with her natural ability a few times, and in the right situation, she could develop into a very good pro.

One situation that would be great for her is to make the Sun roster and back up Tina.. I am assuming the Sun has reasonably good post coaching, and if they do, that combined with daily workouts against Tina would be great for Shegog.

DD & Company get to experience this great coaching and work ethic first hand. It is hard for me to see such talented players lose out in the end. Guess we will just wait and see

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
....How bout we change a couple of words:

Quote:
"I had heard how intense it is. In high school you will have some players who will put everything out on the floor, just one or two players. But at UCONN you have everybody giving 110 percent. Everybody is going beyond the level they’re expected to go and you just have to really push yourself to match their intensity because it’s not like high school where you could get away with slacking off.”

-- Kiah Stokes

Kiah has had the benefit of this lesson quite a bit earlier in her career than Shegog! :D

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Quote:
"“I had heard how intense it is. In college you will have some players who will put everything out on the floor, just one or two players. But in the pros, you have everybody giving 110 percent. Eveyrody is going beyond the level they’re expected to go and you just have to really push yourself to match their intensity because it’s not like college where you could get away with slacking off.”

:eek: OMG!

laughingshaq.gif

Reaction Score
I noticed on Ms. Deshields twitter account, she felt the need to tweet that Shea Ralph stopped following her.

Very classy of her.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I imagine Shea has better things to fill her twitter feed than posts of 17 year olds who neither aren't nor ever will play for her. Definitely an odd thing to comment on.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Back on topic. I thought that Shegog was a talented offensive player.... but not really as strong on the boards as one might expect from a player of her size and talent. She definitely led the ACC in elbows both thrown and connected..... let the WNBA be on notice. The ACC will definitely be a safer place in her absence.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is a pretty bad commentary on her college - no question WNBA is a step up in competition from college, but I don't remember any rookie before saying it was a change in effort/intensity.

Reaction Score
I'm no expert evaluator, but I saw Shegog in HS and a lot in college. I thought she had the physical gifts to be an All-American, but it never really happened for her. That quote is really revealing. Thanks for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom