Charleston, SC | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Charleston, SC

Reaction Score
x3 on differences between Charleston and Savannah. Charleston is great and is definitely more gentrified for the shopping, cleanliness and layout. Savannah still has great food and restaurants and a ton of history. It's just a bit more grimy.

I would definitely get a car to get between the two cities. Beaufort is a great little town with some neat food around Bay St. Old Bull Tavern has a rotating menu with some good stuff. You also get Port Royal and Ladys Island. I wouldn't spend any time at Hilton Head, Bluffton or Okatie.

If you are going to Savannah, heading east to Tybee Island will definitely slow down your pace and allow you to relax.
Need to have dinner at Sundae Cafe in Tybee as well. Their Ribeye steak with flash fried oysters and tasso hollandaise on top, blue cheese bread pudding on the side is one of my favorite meals ever. Maybe not what you would expect from a restaurant in a gas station parking lot.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Need to have dinner at Sundae Cafe in Tybee as well. Their Ribeye steak with flash fried oysters and tasso hollandaise on top, blue cheese bread pudding on the side is one of my favorite meals ever. Maybe not what you would expect from a restaurant in a gas station parking lot.

You had me at flash fried oysters. And then you through in tasso. If I'm in a coastal environment at a restaurant and I see fried oysters, I'm trying them. Not the most complicated dish but it is a technical dish and if you can do fried oysters right, I'm confident in the rest of the menu.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Another one for some fun. Whether in Savannah or Charleston stop by the Byrd's Cookie stores. They're made in Savannah but Charleston has a shop. You'll go in see some nice mini sized cookies and have great intentions of getting them as gifts or maybe a snack for later on. An hour later, you'll be back because you plowed through the whole bag(s).

Gourmet Cookies, Key Lime Coolers, Cookie Gifts, Cheese Biscuits, & Cookie Gift Baskets | Byrd Cookie (byrdcookiecompany.com)

Make great gifts too.

Reaction Score
You had me at flash fried oysters. And then you through in tasso. If I'm in a coastal environment at a restaurant and I see fried oysters, I'm trying them. Not the most complicated dish but it is a technical dish and if you can do fried oysters right, I'm confident in the rest of the menu.
Totally agree, lightly fried oysters and lightly fried whole belly clams are about as good as it gets for me.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
x3 on differences between Charleston and Savannah. Charleston is great and is definitely more gentrified for the shopping, cleanliness and layout. Savannah still has great food and restaurants and a ton of history. It's just a bit more grimy.

I would definitely get a car to get between the two cities. Beaufort is a great little town with some neat food around Bay St. Old Bull Tavern has a rotating menu with some good stuff. You also get Port Royal and Ladys Island. I wouldn't spend any time at Hilton Head, Bluffton or Okatie.

If you are going to Savannah, heading east to Tybee Island will definitely slow down your pace and allow you to relax.

In Beaufort, the Saltus River Grill is very good. Saltus River Grill - Saltus River Grill Somehow I never tried the Old Bull, mostly I buy beer at Bill's liquors and drink them at my parent's house. But their backyard isn't what it was now...no water or dock.

The Foolish Frog in Frogmore is a really good seafood choice on St. Helena Island. Frogmore is where Joe Frazier is from and for people interested in history, you can visit the Penn Center, site of the Penn School, the first school for freed slaves. MLK taught there for a time in the 60's. Plan a Visit — Penn Center. That whole area is fascinating, with some folks still speaking Gullah. A whole lot of history that people from New England probably don't think about. Another one I didn't know until I went to the museum was Santa Elena | Learn South Carolina's earliest colonial history at Santa Elena History Center (santa-elena.org)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
In Beaufort, the Saltus River Grill is very good. Saltus River Grill - Saltus River Grill Somehow I never tried the Old Bull, mostly I buy beer at Bill's liquors and drink them at my parent's house. But their backyard isn't what it was now...no water or dock.

The Foolish Frog in Frogmore is a really good seafood choice on St. Helena Island. Frogmore is where Joe Frazier is from and for people interested in history, you can visit the Penn Center, site of the Penn School, the first school for freed slaves. MLK taught there for a time in the 60's. Plan a Visit — Penn Center. That whole area is fascinating, with some folks still speaking Gullah. A whole lot of history that people from New England probably don't think about. Another one I didn't know until I went to the museum was Santa Elena | Learn South Carolina's earliest colonial history at Santa Elena History Center (santa-elena.org)

I've eaten at Saltus and I would also recommend Breakwater and Wren as two other local restaurants with rotating menus of fresh local food.

Reaction Score
Charleston is a great place, but I love Savannah.
Charleston, South Carolina by step2me
I visited both on the same trip and was more impressed by Charleston.

One thing about Savannah was that historic area more overlapped with the city so you'd end up with a parking garage or grocery store next to something historic. Really hurt the feel/ambiance for me. In contrast Charleston was district with historic and old/rich homes bordering a nice downtown.

Also tip for Savannah: don't use cabs. I took the train from Charleston to Savannah, got in late, and was all set to get an uber but there was a cab right there. He paired me up with another rider to "give me a deal," without pointing out that she was going far further away and in the opposite direction but he took her first because well, you know, it's the South and she's a lady. So a 2 mile trip at 10pm took me 10 miles, 40 minutes, and $15. Later a local friend told me this was not uncommon.

Southern historical sites are very interesting for Northerners. I wasnt used to thinking about slave quarters, and we're at a time now where all these places are rethinking how to present those uncomfortable facts and bringing those stories more to the forefront.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Planning a mid-March trip to Charleston/Savannah.

The idea:
  • One-way flight into one city spend 1 or 2 nights into Savannah or Charleston.
  • Take Amtrak from said city to other city. Spend 1 or 2 nights in next city.
  • One-way flight from new city.
Not planning on renting a car.

Thoughts?
I did that and had no problem getting around in either place. Both great areas for walking around. Though see my note above about not taking cabs from the train station.

I stayed at Kings Courtyard in CHSC. A little expensive (but nowhere near the top price) but maybe if you get it far enough in advance.... Close enough that easy walking access but not prime location/luxry.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I'm headed down in about a month. Time to see my parents. Can't wait on these things anymore, you never know. Flying to CHS and renting a car to get to Dataw Island. @Chin Diesel I'm going to try to check out Old Bull Tavern. My dad mentioned a brewery in Bluffton too, Southern Barrel.

My wife has friends in Mt. Pleasant. Does anybody know a decent spot for lunch and a beer that is convenient to the airport and Mt. Pleasant on the north side? Probably best to avoid going to far into the city. COAST and Holy City Brewing seem close.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm headed down in about a month. Time to see my parents. Can't wait on these things anymore, you never know. Flying to CHS and renting a car to get to Dataw Island. @Chin Diesel I'm going to try to check out Old Bull Tavern. My dad mentioned a brewery in Bluffton too, Southern Barrel.

My wife has friends in Mt. Pleasant. Does anybody know a decent spot for lunch and a beer that is convenient to the airport and Mt. Pleasant on the north side? Probably best to avoid going to far into the city. COAST and Holy City Brewing seem close.

Enjoy. Old Bull Tavern should be good. Never been to the Southern Barrel brewery but I've definitely picked up six packs of their cans at local mom and pop package stores- Damn Yankee IPA and their Helles Lager are real good.

1634154581702.png

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

@HuskyHawk , just noticed your comments about Bill's liquor. Are you talking about the one on Ladys Island? If so, that's my go to spot for beer when I go to Beaufort.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
@HuskyHawk , just noticed your comments about Bill's liquor. Are you talking about the one on Ladys Island? If so, that's my go to spot for beer when I go to Beaufort.

Yep. My folks are about ten minutes from there, technically in St. Helena (Dataw Island). It's a very nice shop, knowledgeable wine people and some good beer options. They used to fill growlers there too but I think stopped for Covid. Their recent Knob Creek Single Barrel store pick is outstanding as well, I brought one home on the plane and will grab another if they still have it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom