Charleston, SC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Charleston, SC

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
Figured after seeing the thorough reviews Fishy got for Newark, I would pick the Boneyard's brains about Charleston, SC.

Headed there in a few weeks with the girlfriend.

Anyone been? Recommendations for things to do, restaurants...open to anything.

Thanks!
Was down there last year. If you like Thai, then Basil is a must.

For a low key evening, 1000% check out The Black Fedora. It's a murder mystery theater. Interactive with the crowd, staff is super friendly and they serve drinks... so you really can't lose.

Also, there's a few diners that were on Diners Drive ins and Dives. We tried a couple. Can't go wrong there either.

Reaction Score
Battery is awesome.. just walk down King street as well in the downtown area. Also Oku is a sushi place by day and a pretty cool bar at night. I would also recommend going to Fat Hen for brunch, its on Johns Island about 20 minutes from downtown. Not sure if you're into history but fort sumter is pretty cool to check out and its right on the beach. Also a restaurant called Basil has some of the best thai food ive had

Reaction Score
Been going to CHS for 15 years. I recommend a great new Italian restaurant called Le Farfalle. If you are out on Isle of Palms or Sullivan's Island try Poe's on Sullivans Island for an array of interesting burgers and beers. Magnolias was the trendy place on East Bay street in the 1990s and early 2000s and took a backseat to Husks and others as Charleston became a foody city. However, Magnolias has had a bit of a rebirth and is much better than SNOB. Hominy for lunch/brunch is always fun. I never liked Poogan's or Pearlz. FIG never disappoints and Hall's for steaks is pricey but high quality. Walk the Battery and adjoining streets at night. It is a step back in time. It is a great time to be in Charleston as you avoid the summer crowds.

Reaction Score
Been going to CHS for 15 years. I recommend a great new Italian restaurant called Le Farfalle. If you are out on Isle of Palms or Sullivan's Island try Poe's on Sullivans Island for an array of interesting burgers and beers. Magnolias was the trendy place on East Bay street in the 1990s and early 2000s and took a backseat to Husks and others as Charleston became a foody city. However, Magnolias has had a bit of a rebirth and is much better than SNOB. Hominy for lunch/brunch is always fun. I never liked Poogan's or Pearlz. FIG never disappoints and Hall's for steaks is pricey but high quality. Walk the Battery and adjoining streets at night. It is a step back in time. It is a great time to be in Charleston as you avoid the summer crowds.

Magnolia's has extremely good fried chicken. Poogans is a good example of lowcountry cuisine but if you are just doing 1 meal of mid price LC cuisine, go to Hominy. It is very easy to eat well in the city because even the tourist traps have very good food. Just don't go to Hyman's Seafood or anywhere on Market Street and you will be safe.

The heart of the College of Charleston campus is very beautiful and is blocks away from many of the restaurants mentioned above.

Go to Marion Square on a warm day and you will see swarms of co-eds 8 and up sun bathing but that might be a hard sell to your gf.

Last edited:

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Most of what's above is right on target. Also, think about plantation tours at Belle Hall in Mount Pleasant, and the Birds of Prey Center in Awendaw. If you're into the Civil War, check out the CSS Hunley (submarine). Palmetto Breeze is a catamaran that runs tours of the harbor daily. Wonderful way to spend early evening sipping a beer and running with the dolphins.

As for restaurants, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a great one. Hall's is terrific, but very expensive. Husk requires reservations made weeks in advance. Try McCrady's (one of General Washington's hangouts). Martha Lou's Kitchen has the best fried chicken ever made. Red's Ice House on Shem Creek is a favorite watering hole around here and you can watch the dolphins and manatee there too. Get over to Sullivan's Island. Poe's has terrific burgers, and across the street drop into Dunleavy's for an afternoon libation. Bill and Jamie are from New Milford. Big Sox fans, but don't hold that against them. They're pretty cool anyway.

BTW, don't worry about the flooding. Charleston floods if you spit on the street twice.

Reaction Score
Can't walk to the beach too easily
Yep. The best beach is about 40 minutes away on Kiawah. If spending a week at the beach, I'd go there. But if just doing Charleston the city, Sullivan's Island is fine for a half-day trip as it's about 20-minutes away. Do a plantation tour (Boone Hall or Middleton are my preference, but Magnolia and Drayton are also options). If into old houses downtown, Calhoun Mansion is the best, but you could probably suffice on simply walking around the Battery park and the streets. As far as restaurants, you can't go wrong with most of them. Fig and Husk are good standbys, but really you could find great food at a couple dozen places. Tattooed Moose is a great bar outside the main areas as well.

Reaction Score
Am playing golf at Kiawah next month...couldn't get reservations at Husk or Fig. Any thoughts on Fat Hen and/or Stars?

Reaction Score
Fat Hen does excellent brunch. Haven't been for dinner though I've heard great things. I don't know much about Stars though. And Fig at the bar could be a good option in lieu of reservations.

Reaction Score
Fat Hen does excellent brunch. Haven't been for dinner though I've heard great things. I don't know much about Stars though. And Fig at the bar could be a good option in lieu of reservations.

There's a million places better to eat than Stars. I'd grab a drink there but wouldn't have a meal. Trendy, fashionable clientele type place. At least it used to be.

Reaction Score
Fat Hen is great if you are coming from Kiawah and don't want to drive to the city. I do not prefer it over several places on the peninsula. Although the wine list nice and the Pluff Mud Pie is a great dessert

Reaction Score
Planning a mid-March trip to Charleston/Savannah.

The idea:
  • One-way flight into one city spend 1 or 2 nights into Savannah or Charleston.
  • Take Amtrak from said city to other city. Spend 1 or 2 nights in next city.
  • One-way flight from new city.
Not planning on renting a car.

Thoughts?

Reaction Score
I'm doing a Charleston-->Savannah-->Charlotte-->Clemson trip for the football game in a few weeks (I see my trip getting a little worse each stop haha). Can't wait though. Been to Charleston multiple times, can't go wrong there at all. If you want real BBQ, hit up Rodney Scott's. He learned it from his father and it's old school low-country style. None of that poser stuff. 82 Queen is a great restaurant that I don't think has been mentioned (next to Poogan's). High Cotton another great spot (but like others have mentioned you really can't go wrong at most places). 5 Church is a cool place for brunch (its in an old church, worth it for the ambiance by itself). The Gin Joint is a great little cocktail spot as well for before/after dining.

Never been to Savannah though, so happy to get some recommendations for there!

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
We're driving our camper van down to CHarleston & Savannah October 19th for a week (have to finish up tax season). Appreciate the thread as well.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
If you go to Charleston and don’t eat dinner at Hall’s you’re seriously missing out.

Savannah is awesome. Stay close to the river- it’s worth it.

Reaction Score
If you go to Charleston and don’t eat dinner at Hall’s you’re seriously missing out.

Savannah is awesome. Stay close to the river- it’s worth it.
How about two nights in each city?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Planning a mid-March trip to Charleston/Savannah.

The idea:
  • One-way flight into one city spend 1 or 2 nights into Savannah or Charleston.
  • Take Amtrak from said city to other city. Spend 1 or 2 nights in next city.
  • One-way flight from new city.
Not planning on renting a car.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are (a) good trip plan (b) rent a car. Do you you have to? No. But you might want to stop in Beaufort on the way (for example) and some things aren't as accessible without a car. It really depends on what you want to do. I think Beaufort is worth a stop. There are some interesting eco-tourism related things and historical things outside the core cities. You're a NY guy so I get the instinct to go carless. But as someone who has spent a lot of time in that corridor, I wouldn't. Note: neither airport is particularly close to the city (another reason a car is a good idea). I honestly think you'd spend more on Ubers than renting a car.

Savannah: I would not stay too near the river, I'd stay nearer the historic district if you can find an affordable spot. The river is tourist-trap central and it is still a short walk. Bay St. > River St. The on-off tours are a pretty good way to get around Savannah. They start from the western edge of the city near SCAD. I'd take one that goes out to Bonaventure cemetery.

1-2 nights is tricky. How much of the day do you have? If you arrive in the afternoon, I'd do two nights in the first place, then leave in the morning for the next place. Might get by with one night in the next place if you fly out late enough. If you have a car, a stop in Beaufort can consume some additional time. You could also drive the slow way and avoid I-95, going by Parris Island. It's pretty country.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
How about two nights in each city?
Can definitely do two in each. They’re very similar places: Old, historic cities with lots of food and drink options. Savannah is less “ritzy” of the two- Charleston’s shopping scene is elite- but they’re both great cities.

I don’t know what your budget is or if you have points or whatever. But I’m a Marriott guy and have stayed at the Grand Bohemian and Marriott Savannah Riverfront, they’re both great. Walkable to all the restaurants and shops on River St and also close to the other attractions/parks in the city. Keep in mind for both Savannah and Charleston you have to drive ~20 minutes outside the city to get to any real “beach”.

Charleston it’s very worth staying on or as close to King St as possible. That’s where the majority of shopping/restaurants/bars are based/close to. You can stay outside the city but traffic is awful and there’s really nowhere to park. Your trip will be much more enjoyable if you can pop out of your hotel or Air BnB and just walk everywhere.

If you are looking for more specific food places feel free to send a PM with what type of cuisine and budget range you’re looking for. Charleston and Savannah are both stocked with copious amounts of amazing restaurants. You won’t be disappointed.

Reaction Score
You should be aware that train travel off the Northeast Corridor (or somewhere with robust commuter service) is a different ballgame than what you may be used to. I think there are only one or two long distance trains that stop there each day, and because they are long distance, there are plenty of chances for them to get hung up with freight or any number of things along the way. You might want to monitor the website to get some sense of how reliable the schedule performance is. (and check to see if the times work for you) Also I don't think the stations are immediately downtown so you will need Uber at both stops. May want to give some consideration to Hawk's suggestion on the rental car.

Have only been in Charleston for maybe two hours, thirty years ago so I only know what I read. Feel like I got some sense of low country culture from a few of Pat Conroy's books (liked "Prince of Tides" and "Lord's of Discipline") and a little of Savannah from John Berendt's "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil"). A little pre-trip reading might make it more fun.

On the other reading front there was an article in the NY Times this week about how there are all manner of pedal bars, and party busses (including a trailer pulled by a tractor) clogging the streets of Nashville, which has apparently become the bachelorette party capital of the country. In the comments section, there a couple from Charleston complaining that since the reality show "Southern Charm" the same thing was starting to happen in Charleston. (not saying its good or bad - just a data point you may want to be aware of)

Reaction Score
I live between Beaufort and Savannah and feel Charleston is a much nicer city with more to do and better restaurants. Savannah has its nice "squares" but outside that area it feels more run down and industrial. Beaufort is a nice stop on the way between the two and Parris Island is an interesting place to visit.
If you drive in Georgia beware of speed traps, especially on I-95.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I live between Beaufort and Savannah and feel Charleston is a much nicer city with more to do and better restaurants. Savannah has its nice "squares" but outside that area it feels more run down and industrial. Beaufort is a nice stop on the way between the two and Parris Island is an interesting place to visit.

Bluffton perhaps? :) Do you agree on taking a car? The Ace Basin shuttle between the cities is now shut down as well.

I agree Savannah is more gritty, but there is some appeal to that for a young person. Not sure what @Hey Adrien! wants to do. Drink, eat and party? Visit the Juliette Gordon Low birthplace because he longed to be a girl scout? Hit up the Ace Basin to see Dolphins and wildlife (dolphins aplenty on the Beaufort river cruise as well)?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Bluffton perhaps? :) Do you agree on taking a car? The Ace Basin shuttle between the cities is now shut down as well.

I agree Savannah is more gritty, but there is some appeal to that for a young person. Not sure what @Hey Adrien! wants to do. Drink, eat and party? Visit the Juliette Gordon Low birthplace because he longed to be a girl scout? Hit up the Ace Basin to see Dolphins and wildlife (dolphins aplenty on the Beaufort river cruise as well)?

x3 on differences between Charleston and Savannah. Charleston is great and is definitely more gentrified for the shopping, cleanliness and layout. Savannah still has great food and restaurants and a ton of history. It's just a bit more grimy.

I would definitely get a car to get between the two cities. Beaufort is a great little town with some neat food around Bay St. Old Bull Tavern has a rotating menu with some good stuff. You also get Port Royal and Ladys Island. I wouldn't spend any time at Hilton Head, Bluffton or Okatie.

If you are going to Savannah, heading east to Tybee Island will definitely slow down your pace and allow you to relax.

Reaction Score

I agree Savannah is more gritty, but there is some appeal to that for a young person.
Appeal to that for old people too.

I'm with you on getting a car, a lot of the appeal to that area is driving around the low country and finding a good place to eat along the way.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom