Chances that Williams and/or Ono select UConn??? (In your opinion) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Chances that Williams and/or Ono select UConn??? (In your opinion)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Ezi plays for the professional WNBL in Australia. Anyone know how that works? Does she not take a salary?
Correct. My understanding is that she is unpaid and, thus, retains her amateur status. She is considering college in the U.S. and apparently doesn't want to preclude that, at least not yet.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
based on that recent article I posted, Ezi has really not even decided if she wants to play college ball forgetting about the fact that many Australian players prefer to stay on the west coast when they do decide to play here.I'm viewing her as a long shot for next season
Correct about Ezi being unsure about college ball. It's a very different situation, relative to American kids, in that she has an option other than college ball. If she chooses college ball, I like our chances, though.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Ezi's brother attends school in Georgia, so the family is not opposed to traveling another 3000 miles. Wallace of Baylor is an Aussie who didn't get off the plane on the west coast. If the next Lauren Jackson is going to travel thousands of miles to play basketball in the states what's a few more hours if it means playing for the best coach in the game.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
These are the other UCONN interest and contacts that I can recall and the source of the information for the class of 2018.
Unofficial visit to UCONN:
Charli Collier-BY Photo with her, Shea and baby Brunelle at UCONN practice facility.
UCONN made in home visits with:
Sedona Prince-Texas newspaper
Shakira Austin- Austin tweet indicating great home visit with Texas and UCONN
NaLyssa Smith-BY Photo with Geno and Marissa in Smith house
Charli Collier-BY Photo with Geno and Marissa in Collier house
UCONN staff watched these player play at HS or AAU
Queen Egbo-McGraws Bench
Olivia Owens-Local news paper article and Geno Photo
Jordan Nixon-BY AAU Tournament
Amaya Brown- BY recruiting page which has deleted
Honesty Scott-Grayson (Long time ago when she was a freshmen at Blair with AEH)
Danielle Cosgrove - BY posting confirmation by @CoachBill
International
Ezi Magbegor UCONN in pursuit per several recent tweets and articles

If UCONN ends up striking out in this class it will not be from a lack of effort in recruiting because UCONN has evaluated all of the top post players in the class and a few guards as well.
Nice list! I would have liked Cosgrove and Smith (plus Collier).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Ezi's brother attends school in Georgia, so the family is not opposed to traveling another 3000 miles. Wallace of Baylor is an Aussie who didn't get off the plane on the west coast. If the next Lauren Jackson is going to travel thousands of miles to play basketball in the states what's a few more hours if it means playing for the best coach in the game.
Ezi wants to be an Olympian and has an opportunity to play for the best coach in Olympic history. Plus, she'll have an in with the G.O.A.T.

Reaction Score
Dr. Leigh Ann Curl, M.D., orthopedic surgeon at Johns Hopkins and head physician for both the University of Maryland and the Baltimore Ravens played hoops at UConn just before the Geno era. She was the UConn valedictorian. A UConn education didn’t exactly hold her back.

And I have no doubt this was brought to her attention....cross your fingers.

Reaction Score
Since Ono wants to be a Dr.,Duke's seven year b.s.,md program should be very attractive to her.She is supposedly an excellent student.I agree with a prior poster that she may just be a perfect fit for Stanford or Duke.If she comes to Uconn that may mean she is putting a strong emphasis on basketball as well as a better than average academic program.I would be 15% on her coming to Uconn.I would be 50% on Williams.Did anyone hear if they or anyone else visited Uconn this weekend?

Accelerated medical programs require extra commitment beyond the normally extremely tough pre-med track. I doubt anyone could participate in such a program and play a major D-I sport. Admissions are also extremely competitive with single-digit admittance rates and a very limited number of slots. With so may great candidates, I don't see a committee (each program has an admissions committee separate from normal undergraduate admissions) being willing to gamble a precious slot on someone already committing to a strenuous athletic program. If she wants to go that route and is capable of being admitted dropping basketball would be the price.

Edit: I just checked and it doesn't appear that Duke has an accelerated BS/MD program such as those I described. They do have a PHD/MD program (get both in 7 years), but a candidate would apply for that as they are completing a traditional pre-med program.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Speaking of UConn WBB players turned doctors, we shouldn’t forget future Dr. Briana Pulido, who will undoubtedly have to remove her 3 national championship rings prior to performing surgery some day.

Reaction Score
I read somewhere that E. Williams was in that program just a few years ago.

Reaction Score
I read somewhere that E. Williams was in that program just a few years ago.

Williams bio said she was a Psych major. That's not the cleanest way to med school because of the number of additional chemistry and biology classes required, but she could still have been on a regular pre-med track.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
based on that recent article I posted, Ezi has really not even decided if she wants to play college ball forgetting about the fact that many Australian players prefer to stay on the west coast when they do decide to play here.I'm viewing her as a long shot for next season

If she comes all the way across the globe to visit Storrs I think we'll know there's a legit chance.

Reaction Score
0%
Williams is going to Texas or South Carolina
Nelson-Ododa is going to FSU or South Carolina
There is, of course, no way to know, but I think this is probably correct. I just don't get a "feeling" that either of these two thinks she's a match for UConn.

Reaction Score
Speaking of UConn WBB players turned doctors, we shouldn’t forget future Dr. Briana Pulido, who will undoubtedly have to remove her 3 national championship rings prior to performing surgery some day.
I really hope Dr. Pulido can come back to Storrs as a professor and help the women basketball in the future.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
These are the other UCONN interest and contacts that I can recall and the source of the information for the class of 2018.
Unofficial visit to UCONN:
Charli Collier-BY Photo with her, Shea and baby Brunelle at UCONN practice facility.
UCONN made in home visits with:
Sedona Prince-Texas newspaper
Shakira Austin- Austin tweet indicating great home visit with Texas and UCONN
NaLyssa Smith-BY Photo with Geno and Marissa in Smith house
Charli Collier-BY Photo with Geno and Marissa in Collier house
UCONN staff watched these player play at HS or AAU
Queen Egbo-McGraws Bench
Olivia Owens-Local news paper article and Geno Photo
Jordan Nixon-BY AAU Tournament
Amaya Brown- BY recruiting page which has deleted
Honesty Scott-Grayson (Long time ago when she was a freshmen at Blair with AEH)
Danielle Cosgrove - BY posting confirmation by @CoachBill
International
Ezi Magbegor UCONN in pursuit per several recent tweets and articles

If UCONN ends up striking out in this class it will not be from a lack of effort in recruiting because UCONN has evaluated all of the top post players in the class and a few guards as well.

If UConn does whiff on the Class of 2018 does that make UConn more attractive, less attractive or have no impact on the decision-making process for Class of 2019 recruits? Has UConn ever gone 0-for in the Geno era?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If UConn does whiff on the Class of 2018 does that make UConn more attractive, less attractive or have no impact on the decision-making process for Class of 2019 recruits? Has UConn ever gone 0-for in the Geno era?
IMO it would make UCONN more attractive based on the presumption that the number one criteria for selecting a college is available playing time.
Having said that though, minutes in the post have been available at UCONN since Kiah Stokes graduated in 2015. And just to illustrate the point, if not contradict myself even further last year:
Lauren Cox @Baylor 13.4 MPG
Natalie Butler @Uconn 15.9 MPG
Tori McCoy @tOSU 16.9 MPG

Last edited:

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
IMO it would make UCONN more attractive based on the presumption that the number one criteria for selecting a college is available playing time.
Having said that though, minutes in the post have been available at UCONN since Kiah Stokes graduated in 2015. And just to illustrate the point, if not contradict myself even further last year:
Lauren Cox @Baylor 13.4 MPG
Natalie Butler @Uconn 15.9 MPG
Tori McCoy @tOSU 16.9 MPG
Thank Coco. I appreciate the feedback.

Reaction Score
UConn has a Special Program in Medicine that might interest ONO. Those that complete the program earn a BS/BA and a MD.

...I'm keeping my fingers crossed that both Williams and ONO come here!

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Based on recent recruiting battles, it just seems par for the course that Christyn's finalists will be UConn and Texas.

That being said, anyone have a guess as to when she will announce her two finalists? I believe she stated that it would be around a week after her UConn visit. I have a feeling it will be tomorrow, 10/19.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Based on recent recruiting battles, it just seems par for the course that Christyn's finalists will be UConn and Texas.

That being said, anyone have a guess as to when she will announce her two finalists? I believe she stated that it would be around a week after her UConn visit. I have a feeling it will be tomorrow, 10/19.
Nov. 10 is the date.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom