OT: - Chainsaws | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Chainsaws

Reaction Score
I use a chain saw blade sharpening bit that you put in a Dremel,5 bucks at Wally world.havent bought a blade in a couple years,a new blade in 15 minutes

Reaction Score
The other good thing about wearing jeans is if you walk on a yellowjacket nest you will get a few less bites.

My kids tease me about wearing my socks over my pants legs. Yes, I am may look like a dork; but, after several instances of jackets trying to fly up my pants, I really don't care what I look like.

And I agree about being safe overall. If you are feeling ligh headed and you arms have gone to jello, take a break. A chainsaw is an unforgiving tool even when used properly. As soon as I saw that my blade was pinched, I shut down the motor. May be a harder to get loose; but its better than having the chain break and snap back at you. Didn't some poor soul in Newtown die the other day using a concrete saw to cut-up a tree (not smart) and it kicked back hitting him in the neck?
If it's White Faced Hornets they will sting you right through your clothes. Most aggressive bee, hornet or wasp there is, and they are big suckers. Had a nest of them in my backyard a few years ago.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
16" is good for homeowner. Not too long not too short. I have a Stihl 16" gas powered. It is excellent and I use a low kickback chain. Be sure to keep the chain sharp. I am glad that you are okay and dragging limbs into or out of a gulley on a hot humid day is certainly a great stress test! Take care and be careful.
Just asked her—it’s 14”. I little small I guess but it was fine for this job.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
I see a lot of people using all arm power running chainsaws. The spikes by the handle are called dogs. Start by making your cut and pushing the dogs in the log then using them like a lever. It’ll take a ton of pressure of your forearms. They’ll also lower the risk of kickbacks.

Reaction Score
If it's White Faced Hornets they will sting you right through your clothes. Most aggressive bee, hornet or wasp there is, and they are big suckers. Had a nest of them in my backyard a few years ago.

Saw them (FYI, folsk call them Bald Faced Hornets here in Jersey) chase a neighbor going after their nest a good 1/2 up the street once at my grandmother's house. Nasty F'ers. If I see them, I'm shooting a flare gun or tossing a M-80 at their nest (and have a water hose nearby, just in case).

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Saw them chase a neighbor going after their nest a good 1/2 up the street once at my grandmother's house. Nasty F'ers. If I see them, I'm shooting a flare gun or tossing a M-80 at their nest (and have a water house nearby, just in case).

Think I told this story on BY before, but here it goes.

Early 80's I was in back yard hitting a baseball or something. Ball went through some tree limbs and I went to get it. Ball had hit a nest of them Hornets. I took a bunch of stings and had to do the stop, drop and roll.
Mom cured me up by rubbing a fresh cut onion and some milkweed on it.

That night my dad took me out back with a pole with a t-shirt soaked in gasoline tied around it. As it got dark we watched the hornets go in to meet for night and then my dad lit the t-shirt and we burned that meet down.

Yep, nasty sonsofbiches.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom