CFP expansion = el muerto | Page 2 | The Boneyard

CFP expansion = el muerto

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
That's half the bracket. Do you think that a basketball tourney of only these schools would be viable? Intriguing thought.

It really depends on how you define viable.

Reaction Score
You make an interesting case. I just looked at the 2019 March Madness bracket, the last one before the pandemic disruption. 31 P-5 schools made that tourney, 34 if you include teams joining the Big 12 (CFU, Cincy, Houston).

That's half the bracket. Do you think that a basketball tourney of only these schools would be viable? Intriguing thought.

It would be worth far less than the current one, at least at first. But could the P-5 (or P-4) schools have a tournament, generate less gross revenue but materially increase their payout per team? YES.

Reaction Score
Why would the SEC allow playoff expansion to happen? Scarcity is good for them. But bad for nearly everyone else.

We are going to end up with a 32 team college football league that is like the NFL and the sport will degrade itself.

Reaction Score
@ UGA Championship Celebration today:

The bottom line is that given their prowess, commitment the top SEC schools have to winning, the addition of two more potentially top 20 programs (OK and TX) and other factors the SEC will likely get more than their "share" of CFP spots; 1-2 in a final four, 2-4 in a final 8, and another one in a final 12. They'll always be the best or second best in terms of participants and it seems they want to grow it so they grab more cash. The question remains if they over-dominate and the rest of the country/conferences tire of it will they actually have killed the golden goose. It might not be Sankey's issue but maybe his successor's one day.

Reaction Score
It would be worth far less than the current one, at least at first. But could the P-5 (or P-4) schools have a tournament, generate less gross revenue but materially increase their payout per team? YES.
How are they going to materially make more money if they would have to finance the championships for the P4/P5 in every other sport except football?

Reaction Score
How are they going to materially make more money if they would have to finance the championships for the P4/P5 in every other sport except football?
Because four or five conferences, all with staffs that run their own championships, would not need much, if any, additional infrastructure to run championships for a 60 team or so super league. It’s not like they’re going to be paying enforcement staffs to investigate their members

Reaction Score
Because four or five conferences, all with staffs that run their own championships, would not need much, if any, additional infrastructure to run championships for a 60 team or so super league. It’s not like they’re going to be paying enforcement staffs to investigate their members
I don’t think you understand what the money is spent on. For example, the NCAA pays for all the travel expenses for all of the teams and per diems. It probably makes up 70%+ of the championship expenses. And, they have to rent facilities, have officials,…

Reaction Score
I don’t think you understand what the money is spent on. For example, the NCAA pays for all the travel expenses for all of the teams and per diems. It probably makes up 70%+ of the championship expenses. And, they have to rent facilities, have officials,…
But the power conferences will just spend less on the championships for minor sports. They don’t care about them. And there will be smaller tournaments in almost all of the non revenue sports.

Reaction Score
But the power conferences will just spend less on the championships for minor sports. They don’t care about them. And there will be smaller tournaments in almost all of the non revenue sports.
I state facts about what the money is spent on and you come back with speculation about how colleges feel about sports besides basketball and football and won’t spend at the same level. I don’t buy it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The entire education industry is on the verge of going over a cliff, and these P5 idiots think they are playing the long game by squeezing the NCAA. The NCAA is irrelevant long-term. College football's problems are much bigger than the NCAA. If I was one of the P5 commissioners I would want to be cashing in as much as possible as fast as possible. I would expand to 16 for next year.

Reaction Score
I state facts about what the money is spent on and you come back with speculation about how colleges feel about sports besides basketball and football and won’t spend at the same level. I don’t buy it
That makes no sense as a matter of logic. You are stating what the NCAA does. We are in agreement on what it does. I am hypothesizing that the P-5 could break away. Your response was I’m speculating on what they might want to do. Newsflash — we are both speculating on what the P-5 would do if it broke away. We can only speculate because it hasn’t happened yet. But saying that if they walk away from an organization they would run the new organization the same way is not a logical conclusion.

Reaction Score
That makes no sense as a matter of logic. You are stating what the NCAA does. We are in agreement on what it does. I am hypothesizing that the P-5 could break away. Your response was I’m speculating on what they might want to do. Newsflash — we are both speculating on what the P-5 would do if it broke away. We can only speculate because it hasn’t happened yet. But saying that if they walk away from an organization they would run the new organization the same way is not a logical conclusion.
And saying that the P5 would deemphasize championships to save a buck is not a logical conclusion.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
The bottom line is that given their prowess, commitment the top SEC schools have to winning, the addition of two more potentially top 20 programs (OK and TX) and other factors the SEC will likely get more than their "share" of CFP spots; 1-2 in a final four, 2-4 in a final 8, and another one in a final 12. They'll always be the best or second best in terms of participants and it seems they want to grow it so they grab more cash. The question remains if they over-dominate and the rest of the country/conferences tire of it will they actually have killed the golden goose. It might not be Sankey's issue but maybe his successor's one day.
I'm pretty sure the SEC isn't worried about what happens if interest wanes or ratings drop at this point. They already have their $3 Billion deal all set. That won't change if things diminish for the rest of the CFB world.

Reaction Score
The answer here is very simple and they already are getting it. TV money. And do you think a súper league wouldn’t generate more money?

And as it has already been laid out in this thread, without having to share revenue with Directional State U, their margins for whatever championship they develop will be wider.

Honestly, the only hope for the G5 now is to exit the NCAA first and find a way to straight up pay players. I don’t know if that’s possible. The only other thing to do would be to structure some significant NIL deals somehow.

Reaction Score
I suppose this also gives us a timeline of any hope of relevance. We have 4 years (unless the Super League had a relegation system, but it won’t).

Reaction Score
And they won’t be giving money to Wesleyan and SCSU or paying for their post season tournaments. The current NCAA tournament pays for all that.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Why anyone would advocate for a bigger CFP is beyond me.

Clearly an expanded playoff would feature more blowouts and bad match ups.

Trying expansion as a way of disrupting SEC dominance and hoping for upsets to gin up excitement reeks of people in debt playing 3 card Monte as a plan to financial solvency.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure the SEC isn't worried about what happens if interest wanes or ratings drop at this point. They already have their $3 Billion deal all set. That won't change if things diminish for the rest of the CFB world.
I hear you on that, but if the CFP continues to wane in interest (it's been doing that for the past handful of years) then it hurts the SEC because it hurts college football overall.

If college football fans overall keep losing interest, then it is going to force the SEC to really go after the NFL model including expanding further and breaking away from the other ~ 100 schools.

And that becomes the big, longer term bet that we appear to be headed for - albeit perhaps not for another 5-10 years.

It's a bet because no one knows how fans will react to a AAA/minor league football model within the collegiate environment and in turn whether it will reduce/maintain/increase media rights deals.

Reaction Score
The big stadium SEC, B1G, etc. schools will not agree to an expanded playoff until they are certain it will not jeopardize the value of the regular season to their fan bases. As an example Bama has sports revenue in the range of 200 million. About 50 Million comes from the SEC payout. Most of the rest comes from revenue derived from game days at Bryant-Denny.

Reaction Score
The big stadium SEC, B1G, etc. schools will not agree to an expanded playoff until they are certain it will not jeopardize the value of the regular season to their fan bases. As an example Bama has sports revenue in the range of 200 million. About 50 Million comes from the SEC payout. Most of the rest comes from revenue derived from game days at Bryant-Denny.

I doubt expanding to 12 would hurt the regular season, more than likely it would make it more interesting as two loss teams currently out of the picture would still have a shot. The expanded playoff would also make the conference championship games far more important than they are now. In the early 90's when MLB only had four teams in the playoff they realized it was killing the regular season as most teams were out of it by early August.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom