Carolyn Ducharme an upgrade at No.33? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Carolyn Ducharme an upgrade at No.33?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It is truly amazing that people can come to this kind of conclusion (based on 2 games that she is forced into action) even though I am sure that Caroline will be a very good player at Uconn. I am afraid to see some of the same people throwing her under the bus if she goes into a slump the next 3-4 games. Just think of what people were saying about CW after the first ND game and what they are saying now.
Just wait until poor Caroline has an average or poor game. Human beings do that, especially freshmen ones. Then she’ll have tire tracks on her back from being thrown under the bus while whoever has a good game will be the next superstar.

Reaction Score
And how do they compare after their first three freshman games? Is the comparison to a four- year star or a three-game played freshman?
Why compare to the first three games...why not through the first eight games? Besides Samuelson on a team with Stewart, Tuck, Jefferson, Nurse and Williams (starters), did they really need Samuelson to score?

1640445311881.png

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Why compare to the first three games...why not through the first eight games? Besides Samuelson on a team with Stewart, Tuck, Jefferson, Nurse and Williams (starters), did they really need Samuelson to score?

View attachment 72076
Outstanding research! These numbers are amazingly close. Even their minutes in the first 8 games are similar. (I presume you are showing 8 games, even though UConn has played 9 games this year, because Caroline Ducharme did not get into the South Carolina game?)

So Lou has many more assists and many fewer fouls, probably because she was playing almost entirely on the perimeter, whereas Caroline Ducharme has mixed it up between outside and inside. Lou also has more steals, but Caroline Ducharme leads by 5-0 in blocks.

The fact that Lou shot only 27% from 3 in her first 8 games, and still became a renowned 3-point shooter before she graduated, could tell you something about judging players by their early performance.

All told, I think this is an auspicious statistical debut for Caroline Ducharme.

Reaction Score
Some of us projected Caroline to be a starter level player this year before she had played a minute of basketball in college. It has nothing to do with what she did the game before. As with all sorts of sports, people are sometimes amateur analysts. Just as Nike projected Le Bron to be a superstar before he had played a minute of NBA basketball, giving him a roughly $90 mil shoe contract, people with some knowledge of the sport can project players given the data available to them. Of course any of us can be wrong but at least some of us projected her to be what she appears to now to be and at least some of us expect her to have some bad games going forward. It happens to everyone eventually. Caroline appears to have a very intelligent and mature approach to her game and I don't expect her to get overly discouraged. She has already overcome huge obstacles in her development with solid success.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Some of us projected Caroline to be a starter level player this year before she had played a minute of basketball in college. It has nothing to do with what she did the game before. As with all sorts of sports, people are sometimes amateur analysts. Just as Nike projected Le Bron to be a superstar before he had played a minute of NBA basketball, giving him a roughly $90 mil shoe contract, people with some knowledge of the sport can project players given the data available to them. Of course any of us can be wrong but at least some of us projected her to be what she appears to now to be and at least some of us expect her to have some bad games going forward. It happens to everyone eventually. Caroline appears to have a very intelligent and mature approach to her game and I don't expect her to get overly discouraged. She has already overcome huge obstacles in her development with solid success.
Dogs Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

I wonder if those that were projecting Caroline as a starter had advance knowledge (data) of Paige's and Aubrey's injury and if those same people are projecting that Caroline will remain a starter once they return from her injury? BTW the initial Adidas offer to LeBron was larger than the Nike offer.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

View attachment 72076
It really probably should be Samuelson's first 9 games to Ducharme's 8 - since they were both healthy and on the bench for all of the games. The fact Caroline Ducharme didn't get in one of them is immaterial. Samuelson happened to start the ninth as Stewart was out for that game. The team played #7, 23, 3, and 11 in those first 9 games in 2015, and have played 23, 1, 24, and 6 this year so fairly comparable.

The assist to TO numbers and steals/blocks are interesting. But to some degree that is also a reflection of teammates and how games are played - easier to get assists with players shooting well and streaking on fast breaks than when they are struggling and the team is playing more half court.

Again, Caroline has played one good game against one quality opponent as a freshman - would like a larger sample size before making any comparisons - we already know how Lou turned out as a freshman and as a 4 year college player - very well! Caroline has all of that in front of her. Calling her an 'upgrade' at this point suggests the poster expects her to be something more than a 3 time AA on a team that lost 2 games over her last 3 regular seasons and went 21-3 in post season play. She has already lost more regular season games than Lou lost in her career! :eek::cool:

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
I really, really like Caroline. I'm happy she's blossoming.

But, truth be known, she's not my favorite #33.

7821EBFA-1995-47CD-94BD-44757AC8CE7C.jpeg

She will never, ever be better than José Canseco.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Thanks, you're right.

I misremembered the box score/conflated Caroline's game witht the talk about Christyn's 28 point game against ND her freshman year.

24 pts, 8 reb are the correct totals for Caroline v. Louisville.
In the Army we would call it a "BRAIN FART", everyone does it once in a while, even me. Merry Christmas @Orangutan.;)

Reaction Score
It's not like one good game puts you in the starting lineup if everyone is back this year, although next year when the seniors are gone I expect her to start. This season a few more good games will force Geno to use her even if the other players returned.

She would be the obvious choice to back up Evina when she returns to the 3, and could also see time at the 2 and occasionally at the 4, but mainly be a regular in the rotation, big game or not.

Reaction Score
She should start even when Paige comes back. If she doesn't start I bet she gets starter level playing time. By the time March is here she is one of the go to players who can help us win. I'd start her over Azzi right now and couldn't a strong case be made for her over Evina and Christin already? She's a key player. I get that it would be very disruptive to bench a senior who might be a top 10 draft pick but she might help the team more. She probably doesn't start when Paige gets back but I bet she could get drafted right now if she were eligible. She could draw out opposing bigs if she were a forward and someday that might come in handy as well. If we are behind, I'd consider going with Dorka or Liv and 4 guards, including Caroline late in a game.

Reaction Score
I expect that later this season UConn's backcourt is going to be Bueckers & Fudd, two of the best outside shooters in wcbb. They may not both start but they will play together a lot. It's nice to have another great shooter ready to come in when one of them is resting.
Ducharme showed she was capable of getting hot and that alone is nice but she also showed that she is not afraid to take shots she likes, that she actually looks for good shots. A great attitude on the court. All business. Tough.

Reaction Score
I expect that later this season UConn's backcourt is going to be Bueckers & Fudd, two of the best outside shooters in wcbb. They may not both start but they will play together a lot. It's nice to have another great shooter ready to come in when one of them is resting.
Ducharme showed she was capable of getting hot and that alone is nice but she also showed that she is not afraid to take shots she likes, that she actually looks for good shots. A great attitude on the court. All business. Tough.
You make a good point! One of the things I like best about Caroline is that she is unafraid, (in fact eager) to take shots whenever she is open! Too many of our players in recent years seem to be afraid to take the big shot even if they are open. Caroline is not like that. She seems to know that being afraid to fail simply guarantees you a safe mediocrity and she’s not looking to be mediocre.

Reaction Score
So we’re just gonna change her name? Henceforth just call me Dmoggie!

Reaction Score
coach played her like 40 minutes, thinking 'ok, let's see what u got.'
after the game, coach be like 'hot dang!'
she's a keeper.
Ykpppp
As a freshman, Lou wasn't driving or doing a lot of ball handling. In a short period of time...Ducharme figured out how she could get playing time and separate herself from other guards...which was to be willing to come off the 3 point line and drive. This team really needed more people to drive and force defenses to rotate. Her length also separates her.

Reaction Score
you need to consider who the teammates are and what is your job
like staying out side and help keep the lanes open with one team and going to the hoop with another.I just don’t get why at this stage there is a need to compare a. Current player vs an ex player.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
The whole argument is pointless. Caroline has played very well since she got the chance, and shows every indication of continuing to do so, which is all that really matters.

Reaction Score
Assuming Paige is back by the end of the year and starts who of the original starters does CD replace?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Assuming Paige is back by the end of the year and starts who of the original starters does CD replace?
Evina...give her a well deserved rest and then she and Nika can be spark plugs off the bench. But there will be plenty of threads on who will the starters be when Paige and Azzi are both available...guaranteed!!!!!

Reactions: PvP
Reaction Score
I really like CD’s skill set. Pretty well rounded. Once she found herself, gotta like her initiative. She reminds me of the true small forwards of the 60’s and 70’s. She may go 3 for 12, but can still help the team in so many ways.

As an aside….loved her running floater today.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Not including Paige, how many UConn freshmen took more shots than the rest of her teammates over a three-game period? Sometimes Paige did not. Right there shows me Caroline is comfortable with her role and her confidence is growing every game. The thought of Caroline, Paige, Edwards, Dorka, Fudd, Muhl, DeBerry and Ono playing together is exciting. If only CW and Westbrook start playing well, the season could end well for UConn. I would think that Caroline's play would be inspiring to the seniors.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom