Caroline discusses her injury | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Caroline discusses her injury

Reaction Score
The New England prep system is known for tutoring highly skilled male basketball players into college scholarships but they exist to get the children of the affluent into Ivy League universities. I knew a guy in college who attended Deerfield Academy in N. Central Mass. The curriculum is very strong and they monitor each student's progress very closely. I think Molly Bent had to repeat a year of high school when she transferred in.

Reaction Score
The New England prep system is known for tutoring highly skilled male basketball players into college scholarships but they exist to get the children of the affluent into Ivy League universities. I knew a guy in college who attended Deerfield Academy in N. Central Mass. The curriculum is very strong and they monitor each student's progress very closely. I think Molly Bent had to repeat a year of high school when she transferred in.

Ducharme had to repeat 7th grade because Nobles and Greenough does not allow 8th grade transfers. Her options were to either do what she did or else to continue in her public high school and wait another year before entering as a ninth grader. She opted for the former.

Reaction Score
Ducharme had to repeat 7th grade because Nobles and Greenough does not allow 8th grade transfers. Her options were to either do what she did or else to continue in her public high school and wait another year before entering as a ninth grader. She opted for the former.
Thanks for the explanation.

Reaction Score
I was looking at Caroline's HS highlights, and it looks like she played a lot of point forward. Some of my favorite plays from Caroline this past season, were when she grabbed a rebound and pushed the ball, or drove and dished it off to one of the bigs. With Evina gone, and the new hip(!), I'm wondering if she will get to handle the t ball more in the full court and be a facilitator? Also, and I know it was HS (distance was closer), and I can't find her hs shooting percentage but she seemed a bit smoother shooting threes.
Alternatively, her crazy rebounding stats her jr and senior year, I'm wondering if she may be suited to play the 4 like Maya or even Morgan Walker at times. It just feels like UConn's most explosive lineup if healthy next season may be PB, Lou, Azzi, Caroline, and then AE or Dorka at center.

Reaction Score
Was Geno disrespectful of the Big East?

"Big East coaches are awaiting approval for a proposal that would cut conference games from 20 to 18 starting in 2023-24. “That gives us an opportunity to add two more really good games,” Auriemma said." ;)
It is somewhat disrespectful, but also true. The dropped Big East games would probably be replaced by a ranked opponent offering much more competition.

Reaction Score
I agree. Caroline opens up a lot of options for us. A 4+1 lineup could be pretty awesome with Caroline/Aubrey/Ayanna taking turns at the wing.

Reaction Score
I’d pictured Lou/Azzi/Paige/Nika rotating through the 1-3, and Aaliyah/Ice/Dorka/Amari in the 5

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
I was looking at Caroline's HS highlights, and it looks like she played a lot of point forward. Some of my favorite plays from Caroline this past season, were when she grabbed a rebound and pushed the ball, or drove and dished it off to one of the bigs. With Evina gone, and the new hip(!), I'm wondering if she will get to handle the t ball more in the full court and be a facilitator? Also, and I know it was HS (distance was closer), and I can't find her hs shooting percentage but she seemed a bit smoother shooting threes.
Alternatively, her crazy rebounding stats her jr and senior year, I'm wondering if she may be suited to play the 4 like Maya or even Morgan Walker at times. It just feels like UConn's most explosive lineup if healthy next season may be PB, Lou, Azzi, Caroline, and then AE or Dorka at center.
Lotta firepower in tht lineup, but defensively how do you thk they would match up against an 2 big 3 guard aggressive offense?

Amashutcha

Basketball enjoyer
Reaction Score
Lotta firepower in tht lineup, but defensively how do you thk they would match up against an 2 big 3 guard aggressive offense?
The other team's probably also asking how their 2 bigs can guard a 5-out offense.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Geno thinks Paige and Azzi are strong on D, and we know Aubrey will be, and Caroline can do D as well. And then there’s Nika. I suspect our D will be up to the task.
There's not one of the players tht you mentioned, maybe with the exception of Aubrey (whn healthy) tht I would want matched up with a strong physical 4 or 5, just a recipe for foul trouble. Imo

Reaction Score
There's not one of the players tht you mentioned, maybe with the exception of Aubrey (whn healthy) tht I would want matched up with a strong physical 4 or 5, just a recipe for foul trouble. Imo
I don’t disagree. But I’m pretty sure we have other players besides Aubrey to cover a physical 4-5. Why would you think we’d use the guards for that? That would be weird.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
I don’t disagree. But I’m pretty sure we have other players besides Aubrey to cover a physical 4-5. Why would you think we’d use the guards for that? That would be weird.
I was responding specifically abt the explosive offense mentioned

Reaction Score
Indeed, and if your point is that a 5-out offense wouldn’t be our strongest defensive set, who’d disagree? Surely this isn’t what we’d use for an entire game. But for a few minutes here and there, it could be very disruptive (even demoralizing) for opponents. If we run 4 guards and Aaliyah, we wouldn’t be doing it to shut down their big lineup. The point would be to force them to try to run with us, and that would surely mean putting in a smaller lineup.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Indeed, and if your point is that a 5-out offense wouldn’t be our strongest defensive set, who’d disagree? Surely this isn’t what we’d use for an entire game. But for a few minutes here and there, it could be very disruptive (even demoralizing) for opponents. If we run 4 guards and Aaliyah, we wouldn’t be doing it to shut down their big lineup. The point would be to force them to try to run with us, and that would surely mean putting in a smaller lineup.
1. For a few minutes...cool, could be very disruptive.
2. Every combination Geno puts on the floor. Is out there to shut the opponent down, you don't play solid D you come out.
3. Most teams don't wanna run with Uconn, they would rather slow the game down muck it up and keep the score down.
3. Mismatches down low...lots of FOULS
But I understand ur point

Reaction Score
1. For a few minutes...cool, could be very disruptive.
2. Every combination Geno puts on the floor. Is out there to shut the opponent down, you don't play solid D you come out.
3. Most teams don't wanna run with Uconn, they would rather slow the game down muck it up and keep the score down.
3. Mismatches down low...lots of FOULS
But I understand ur point
Coach could (will) use a one big set to run the opponents bigs into the ground-gas them out-resulting in foolish fouls and reaching ( as opposed to positional) defense.
Keep switching it up, forcing short benched teams into a flow they are I’ll prepared to match/counter.
Think front wheel- all wheel-four wheel drive transmissions.
JMHO

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Was Geno disrespectful of the Big East?

"Big East coaches are awaiting approval for a proposal that would cut conference games from 20 to 18 starting in 2023-24. “That gives us an opportunity to add two more really good games,” Auriemma said." ;)
No, just brutally honest. He is more interested in scheduling teams that will help UConn prepare for post-season play. The bottom feeders in the Big East will not do that. Those are the cold hard facts. If any Big East school (coach) takes offense, then improve the quality of your program and recruit better players thereby gaining the respectability you feel you deserve.

Reaction Score
I've seen interviews with Megan Duffy, Denise Dillon, Anthony Bozella, Doug Bruno, all saying essentially this, that Having UConn in the Big East is good for the conference and will challenge them all to raise their level of play. Here's one with Denise Dillon on just this point:

Reaction Score
Just watched a great highlights compilation for Lou’s last year at Fairfield and I am impressed by her offensive skill set. Its better than I thought. She’s got a lot of the same skills Caroline does, plus a nifty turnaround jumper. If those two split the minutes at the 3, were gone see a lot of production from that position.

I have a feeling at the end of this season we’re gonna really regret we only have Lou for one year.
At the end of this past season, UConn had one of the best motion offenses I remember. When Paige came back, things slowed down to allow her to play. With Paige and Azzi now healthy, Caroline coming back and Lou getting minutes, predict that motion offense and UConn passing will be best in country. Should be particularly effective against SC's bigs who will need to more around more than what they are used to.

Reaction Score
It can be used for more than "just a few minutes." OFC a lot depends on Ducharme and Lou playing well, but in 2020-2021 the Huskies got to Final Four and were a top 4 team by having Evina predominantly play the 4.

UCONN beat Stanford this past year with Liv getting 30 minutes and Edwards 19. Who played the 4 in those other minutes beating a tremendous team? It was Evina (maybe Ducharme played some 4 instead of Evina but still a "small" 4).

It's absolutely fine if UCONN were to have Ducharme play the 4 if she and Lou are playing very well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom