Cancel the Olympics? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Cancel the Olympics?

Reaction Score
While this is true, it is astounding to me that Japan’s vaccination number is 8%!
The majority of the Japanese people in their homeland of Japan are wholistic and natural health people. They refuse to have untested or incompletely tested medicine that is not made from natural sources, AND being vaccinated is completely voluntary. I would suspect that most of those '8% of the population' who are vaccinated in Japan are less than third generation Japanese nationals who accepted the risk of the vaccine.

Keep in mind the three major vaccines are still emergency use declarations, and on the normal process of getting vaccines certified, the phase 2 trials are not completed, and phase 3 most likely cannot be completed due to so many of the possible 'control' population have either previously had the virus (and recovered or have shifted to "longhaul" such as Asia Durr {keep praying for her full recovery to full strength & endurance}} or have been vaccinated.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I fully expect this thread to be lively long after the Olympics. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
In my first day in a philosophy class at UConn, the professor asked the infamous "if a tree falls in the woods..." question. I looked up at him and said yes. He said but can you prove it? I said sure and at his invitation did a math style proof on the board with the givens that objects can't occupy the same place and that air occupies space, as does the tree, and that sound was the movement of air. The professor stared at it for a good what seemed liked a good a five minutes and then when someone in the class said "Uh professor?" He said "Class dismissed" and kept staring at the board. People looked at me like "WTH dude" and I was like "He shouldn't have asked if he didn't want the answer."

(I may have broken him since the next class we had a different professor who taught the class for rest of the semester. Good times.)
AWESOME!!!! I would have high fived with you at the end of the first class AND the start of the second class!

Nicely done! Physics trumps Philosophy every time!!!

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Sound is the impression that the bones in your ear places upon your brain based upon the vibrations they receive. If there are no ears to receive the vibrations created from a fallen object ( in or out of a vacuum) there will be no “sound”.

Sound can be detected by instrumentation that detects vibration. Human ears need not be present for sound to be generated. It's a physics thing.
Physics vs metaphysics, perspective wins again

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
You gave a philosophy professor a math/physics style explanation. :eek:
Very courageous
Not at all. Now giving a math professor a philosophy style explanation... that takes courage.

Reaction Score
Submariners tend to take sound seriously.

It is not a philosophical discussion, but rather a matter of life and death. 4 dimensional water space [time being the fourth dimension] is a physics domain, philosophers need not apply as they would end up killing their crew by talking them to death instead of "fighting the ship."

"Less talk, and a lot more action" as the song goes {pretty sure that that song was talking about something else entirely.....}

CL82

Reaction Score
It's really definitional. Is sound the movement of air or the impact of that movement on a human ear drum? The latter is kind of silly standard since we know animals can hear, but that is how the question is traditionally posed. I used the former definition as a given in my proof, so the proof was largely irrelevant. The givens decided the issue. The professor wasn't sophisticated enough to spot it otherwise he would challenged me on the givens.

Reaction Score
It's really definitional. Is sound the movement of air or the impact of that movement on a human ear drum? The latter is kind of silly standard since we know animals can hear, but that is how the question is traditionally posed. I used the former definition as a given in my proof, so the proof was largely irrelevant. The givens decided the issue. The professor wasn't sophisticated enough to spot it otherwise he would challenged me on the givens.
I concur with your assessment of your professor, and I am in the same 'boat' as David Hume [273-ish years ago], except that I am NOT in favor of burning books NOR cancelling discussion:

In the 18th century, David Hume took a strong position, arguing that all genuine knowledge involves either mathematics or matters of fact, and that metaphysics, which goes beyond these, is worthless. He concludes his Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding (1748) with the statement:

If we take in our hand any volume [book]; of school metaphysics, for instance; let us ask, Does it contain any abstract reasoning concerning quantity or number? No. Does it contain any experimental reasoning concerning matter of fact and existence? No. Commit it then to the flames: for it can contain nothing but sophistry and illusion. Hume, David (1748). An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding. §132. - see wikipedia for more dissenting opinions; this reference is good enough for me...
But my question would be is metaphysics illusion or dillusion?

I am pretty sure technology being the application of science has moved forward by controlled experiment [those things that don't work do not gain much market share without government intervention] rather than by thinking philosophically about it. Brainstorming has its place at the beginning [however metaphysical process disrupts true brainstorming with follow on questions as ideas are "thrown out into the 'creative' space], but then action (experimentation: a.k.a. research & development [R&D budgets, etc.]) must take the stage...

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

It is not a philosophical discussion, but rather a matter of life and death. 4 dimensional water space [time being the fourth dimension] is a physics domain, philosophers need not apply as they would end up killing their crew by talking them to death instead of "fighting the ship."

"Less talk, and a lot more action" as the song goes {pretty sure that that song was talking about something else entirely.....}
my bud was the chief engineer for a nuclear sub. now, he's building quite the sweet little empire in western mass in the cannabis industry, while helping out eversource to keep our lights on. i've never heard him talk aboot philosophy, but his gf has some kind of pizza/restaurant thing going on. smart people.
and to think some people are getting paid to stare at their bellybuttons, and then write/talk aboot it. as the late, great philosopher known as 'the scooter' once said, 'holy cow!'
i always hear that hot hokum known as the 'i ching' as 'itching', as in 'itching for a beat down.' lol.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
forests? sounds? this question was answered years ago. dopey philosophers, they never know what's going down, and they can't dunk.

I love your sentiment!

When "the hills are alive..." it's really frightening. Time to go to higher ground [Mountains] and make your stand.

I say the lumberjack was making more noise before the trees were felled in the forest.

California might need to do some forest management and talk less, particularly before the Santa Anna winds come through again.

I used to be able to dunk, but now I need two hip replacements, so I am extremely gravitationally challenged....

Reaction Score
my bud was the chief engineer for a nuclear sub. now, he's building quite the sweet little empire in western mass in the cannabis industry, while helping out eversource to keep our lights on. i've never heard him talk aboot philosophy, but his gf has some kind of pizza/restaurant thing going on. smart people.
and to think some people are getting paid to stare at their bellybuttons, and then write/talk aboot it. as the late, great philosopher known as 'the scooter' once said, 'holy cow!'
i always hear that hot hokum known as the 'i ching' as 'itching', as in 'itching for a beat down.' lol.
This post was gave me the best laugh of the day [so far....]. Thanks for brightening my day! :)

Reaction Score
While this is true, it is astounding to me that Japan’s vaccination number is 8%!

I read yesterday that the number was 23%. I am trying to find the link but cannot. Maybe it was adults only or some portion of the population making both numbers accurate?

Edit: found this link - Japan: the latest coronavirus counts, charts and maps

Looks like 29% is vaccinated based on the number of doses administered. Still not high but closer to 3.5 times that of 8%

CL82

Reaction Score

Attack or boomer?

Reaction Score
Attack or boomer?
Attack; was on the duty submarine for the Pacific back in the day... SSN = "Saturdays, Sundays, and Nights!" not part time submariners, just the "black and blue crew." When we went to sea, we had what we had, which was more than enough.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom