Canadian National Team - Aaliyah Edwards (merged threads) | The Boneyard

Canadian National Team - Aaliyah Edwards (merged threads)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
TORONTO – UConn women's basketball sophomore Aaliyah Edwards was named to the Canada Basketball Senior Women's National Team roster for the FIBA Women's AmeriCup 2021. This is the fifth time Edwards has been named to the Canadian Senior National Team. She played for the senior squad four times in 2019, including the 2019 AmeriCup.

The AmeriCup will run June 11-19. The top four finishing teams will advance to compete in one of four FIBA Women's Basketball World Cup 2022 Qualifying Tournaments, which will take place in Feb. 2022.

Canada will compete in Group A along with Brazil, Colombia, Virgin Islands and El Salvador. Group B will consist of USA, Puerto Rico, Argentina, Dominican Republic and Venezuela.

Reaction Score
These type of things will be happening for Aaliyah for the foreseeable future. A favorite to watch for myself, I wish her well in all her endeavors.
My only hope is she does not do to the US what Kia (another favorite of mine) did back in "15" in The Pan Am games. ;)

Glad she is in group A and the USA in group B look forward to seeing Canada and the US in the championship game. That with Aaliyah having a great game but Canada taking the loss. :D

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Assuming there is an Olympics in Tokyo this summer are Aaliyah and Kia pretty much locks to make the team?
Any realistic chance of them both starting?

Or Kia starts and Aaliyah is in the regular rotation frontcourt-wise?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Aaliyah has the highest efficiency value for Canada.

And not all her shots were at the basket. Knocked down 16 foot baseline and FT jumper.

1623538312103.png

Reaction Score
Assuming there is an Olympics in Tokyo this summer are Aaliyah and Kia pretty much locks to make the team?

The coach would like to be able to make four changes to the roster at least with Kia and the other two WNBA players Achonwa and Carleton as well as finding a way to get Kim Gaucher there, which would require allowing her to bring her baby:
Canada's Kim Gaucher facing difficult decision on path to Olympic dream - Sportsnet.ca

It is hard to know how the coach might integrate the WNBA players as I could see Carleton and Achonwa coming off the bench, but Kia is probably a starter. Aaliyah is probably safe right now, but outplaying Amihere in this tournament is a good idea as there may only be one frontcourt spot available after Ayim, Raincock-Ekunwe, Achonwa, and Alexander have their say.

Reaction Score

The coach said after the game that the team will look a lot different at the end of the tournament. Today's starting lineup will probably change.

Reaction Score
There are three "teenagers" on the Canadian WBB at the AmeriCups tournament;
Aaliyah Edwards 18 (youngest ) listed at 191 cm 6'3" UCONN, listed as Forward
Merissah Russell 19 listed at 5'11" Louisville, Guard
Laeticia Amihere 19 listed at 186 cm 6'1" South Carolina, Forward
and, not a teenager , but of interest :
Shaina Pellington 22 listed at 5'11" U. of Arizona Guard
Somebody will NOT make the move to the Olympic Squad due to needing room for Natalie Achowa and others including
MAYBE KIM Gaucher age 36 who has a new daughter ,Sophia, born March , 2021, the new TEAM MASCOT!!
TEAM CANADA now uses the Raptors Training Camp in TAMPA (prior to the Olympics). Kim is Breast Feeding!!!
Does she go to Japan ( her dream ) or NOT ?? Kim has gone to multiple Olympics . So has Miranda Ayim
Note There is an 18 year difference between KIM and Aaliyah and also an 18 difference between Sophia and Aaliyah.!
My guess is one of the spots is UP FOR GRABS , i.e. between Aaliyah and Laeticia This TOURNAMENT is IMPORTANT FOR
MORE THAN ONE REASON!! GO UCONN!! GO Aaliyah !!! " Oh, Canada"!!!!
THE NBA WAS NEVER LIKE THIS!!! WATCH THE GAMES!, Who gets more PT?, READ the Stats!, know the +/- ratings, who is more ""

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
There are three "teenagers" on the Canadian WBB at the AmeriCups tournament;
Aaliyah Edwards 18 (youngest ) listed at 191 cm 6'3" UCONN, listed as Forward
Merissah Russell 19 listed at 5'11" Louisville, Guard
Laeticia Amihere 19 listed at 186 cm 6'1" South Carolina, Forward
and, not a teenager , but of interest :
Shaina Pellington 22 listed at 5'11" U. of Arizona Guard
Somebody will NOT make the move to the Olympic Squad due to needing room for Natalie Achowa and others including
MAYBE KIM Gaucher age 36 who has a new daughter ,Sophia, born March , 2021, the new TEAM MASCOT!!
TEAM CANADA now uses the Raptors Training Camp in TAMPA (prior to the Olympics). Kim is Breast Feeding!!!
Does she go to Japan ( her dream ) or NOT ?? Kim has gone to multiple Olympics . So has Miranda Ayim
Note There is an 18 year difference between KIM and Aaliyah and also an 18 difference between Sophia and Aaliyah.!
My guess is one of the spots is UP FOR GRABS , i.e. between Aaliyah and Laeticia This TOURNAMENT is IMPORTANT FOR
MORE THAN ONE REASON!! GO UCONN!! GO Aaliyah !!! " Oh, Canada"!!!!
THE NBA WAS NEVER LIKE THIS!!! WATCH THE GAMES!, Who gets more PT?, READ the Stats!, know the +/- ratings, who is more ""
Game 1 Aaliyah vs Laeticia, both played very well but Aaliyah showed far more diversity to her game hitting from outside, defending all over the court and was excellent forcing the pace driving the ball up after her rebound. She played more minutes and came in earlier so I think she is higher on the pecking order.

Game 2 against Brazil at 12PM will really tell the tale as they go against top flight posts

Reaction Score
I know Aliyah is wearing number 3 for uconn and her favourite number is 24 so she didn't pick it cause anna number was 24 so after anna gone can she change he rnumber from 3 to 24 or she can't!

Carnac

Reaction Score
Amihere is listed as 6'4" on the SC Roster site. Frankly, I think she is more of 6'4".
I agree! Amihere is taller than 6'1". Aaliyah Edwards is listed at 6-3, although I'm betting she's closer to 6-4. Here they are standing next to each other, what do you think? :rolleyes: They appear to be the same height to me.

1623607673374.png

1623607936206.png

Aliyah Boston is listed at 6'5". Here Amihere appears to be as tall as Boston (perhaps Boston is only 6-4). Amihere IS NOT 6'1"!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know Aliyah is wearing number 3 for uconn and her favourite number is 24 so she didn't pick it cause anna number was 24 so after anna gone can she change he rnumber from 3 to 24 or she can't!
It is possible. Players have changed numbers through the years. I took a quick look at the roster for this coming year and she is still listed as #3.

As a side note, for the constant chatter about size, this is the tallest overall squad I've seen in years! Also peaked my interest that Dorka is now 6'5" at UConn and Caroline is listed at 6'2" which is the closest to her actual size I've seen. She's been listed at an outdated 5'10" for years...

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Aaliyah took a brutal collision in the lane and effectively had her nose rearranged. Seems okay on the sideline (no blood) but I think she may not play much. Did not come back in the 1st half On the other hand, Amihere is playing really good. Pellington too. How did OK lose so much? Dos Santos from Brazil did a split trying to aggressively defend and looks like she injured her groin. Did not look good.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Canada holds off Brazil 71-67. I was pleasantly surprised that the Canadian Coach played Aaliyah in crunch time . Not much offense but her defense was sound . But I take back what I said about Canada being the favorite. US will probably dust them by double digits. Canada is a turnover machine

Carnac

Reaction Score
It is possible. Players have changed numbers through the years. I took a quick look at the roster for this coming year and she is still listed as #3.

As a side note, for the constant chatter about size, this is the tallest overall squad I've seen in years! Also peaked my interest that Dorka is now 6'5" at UConn and Caroline is listed at 6'2" which is the closest to her actual size I've seen. She's been listed at an outdated 5'10" for years...
Yes. During the 2014-2015 season, Brianna Pulido wore No. 24. The next year she changed to No. 2 to accommodate freshman Napheesa Collier who wanted that number. So yes, it can be done. :)

Reaction Score
For what it's worth to the discussion, Natalie Achonwa was injured this weekend...

Extent of injury unknown but appeared to be a knee issue (according to information on the Bench).

Reaction Score

I think she may stick with #3 when she plays at UCONN. I remember an interview her mother had with someone where she noted that "3" had a special meaning to the family.

I've noticed with Canada's teams during FIBA, players are usually assigned their number. Aaliyah wearing 24 is a little unusual but I like it. :D

Reaction Score
For what it's worth to the discussion, Natalie Achonwa was injured this weekend...

Extent of injury unknown but appeared to be a knee issue (according to information on the Bench).
I watched the game and it didn't look good from the one replay. Fortunately she was able to walk off the court. Hoping I was reading too much into it though.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I watched the game and it didn't look good from the one replay. Fortunately she was able to walk off the court. Hoping I was reading too much into it though.
UPDATE: The Minnesota Lynx will be without two key players indefinitely because of injury. Forward Natalie Achonwa has an MCL sprain in her right knee. Guard Aerial Powers has a tear of the ulnar collateral ligament in her right thumb that was confirmed by an MRI, the team announced Monday. Both injuries occurred during Saturday night's 80-64 victory over the Los Angeles Sparks, the Lynx said.

Prayers for Natalie and Aerial. Goodness knows Natalie has already had her share of knee injuries to last her the rest of her athletic career.

GIF by reactionseditor

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom