Can We Schedule Penn State @ Yankee Stadium?? | The Boneyard

Can We Schedule Penn State @ Yankee Stadium??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
After watching the Pinstripe Bowl this past Saturday, I couldn't help but be impressed with the Penn State turnout. They truly turned Yankee Stadium into a home game for their Nittany Lions. It got me to thinking about Jim Delany's continual comments about expanding eastward, in large part, to bring B1G games closer to millions of alumni who work/live on the east coast.

Then, naturally, I got to thinking about how UCONN can play a role in this.

UCONN brought some 16-18K fans to a garbage game against Army this past November; a battle of two putrid 2-win teams. UCONN fans have travelled quite well to past bowl games and in road games against Notre Dame and Michigan. So...is it time for Warde Manuel and/or Susan Herbst to approach the State and ask for them to ease up on their legislated home game venue requirement?

According to the State of CT, all UCONN football home games must be played at Rentschler Field until the year 2017. While that law can be eased (rumors surfaced that they were going to relax this law in order for UCONN to sign a long-term series with Notre Dame), it still exists. And yes, Michigan did just come to Rentschler Field to satisfy their contracted return trip of a home and home. BUT, that series was signed when 1) UCONN played in a BCS conference and 2) UCONN was very competitive, frequently going to bowl games. Our AAC sentence requires us to schedule creatively if we want to put "needle moving" games on the docket.

In the spirit of all this...I think it is time for Warde (and the State of CT) to "sacrifice" a home game and aggressively approach Penn State about a game at Yankee Stadium. As the "home team", UCONN could control a large chunk of the gate (sure to be a sellout), boost their average per-game attendance for the year, and offer season ticket holders a chance to see UCONN play a marquee OOC game (since our AAC conference schedule does not do much for most UCONN fans). Make no mistake, there WILL be more PSU fans in attendance than UCONN fans. But there will also be MUCH more UCONN fans at this game than what BC brought to the Pinstripe Bowl. Electric atmosphere anyone???

The offer is simple: we sacrifice the home game so they don't have to, but we share the gate. Even if we share it 50/50, we'd likely still make more money on the game than any regular season game at the Rent that would bring 25-30K through the gates. If Penn State says no thanks, then we keep going down the B1G school rolodex until we find an interested party. OSU? Michigan? Michigan State? Wisconsin? Nebraska? All of these games would also sell out.

Our 2015 home slate is, to put it nicely, God fahqing awful. The best games on the 2015 season (and the ones that I plan on spending thousands of dollars to attend despite knowing full well that we are going to lose) are road games at Missouri and BYU. We desperately need juice. We also desperately need to demonstrate that UCONN football carries a pulse in big games. Without the help from a bowl game, UCONN has only played in one "needle moving" game in the past 4 years. The reasons for UCONN to want to schedule such a game are obvious. Why would Penn State do it (or OSU, Michigan, MSU, UW, UNL)? For the very reason that Jim Delany wants to move eastward: a VERY large alumni fanbase on the east coast. These fans will get a chance to go High Points Stadium at Rutgers but tickets will be limited, dependent on how many tickets outside of the school's normal 5-7K allotment are available. At Yankee Stadium, they could offer their huge fanbases a venue with 20-30K open seats in the best city in the world.

Sure, UCONN might lose the game if it's played sooner than later. But what we'd lose on the field, we'd win in the stands. 20+K fans making up a truly electric atmosphere in a city that UCONN has always demonstrated tremendous presence in. The game would serve as yet another reminder that eastward B1G expansion should include UCONN.

Here's hoping that Warde and the State of CT have already begun the process to schedule such a game or series of games.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised (as a matter of fact, I'd be irritated if they weren't) if they weren't working this with any and every east coast team.

Reaction Score
According to the State of CT, all UCONN football home games must be played at Rentschler Field until the year 2017. While that law can be eased (rumors surfaced that they were going to relax this law in order for UCONN to sign a long-term series with Notre Dame), it still exists. And yes, Michigan did just come to Rentschler Field to satisfy their contracted return trip of a home and home. BUT, that series was signed when 1) UCONN played in a BCS conference and 2) UCONN was very competitive, frequently going to bowl games. Our AAC sentence requires us to schedule creatively if we want to put "needle moving" games on the docket.

Is this a law, or just a policy? (Serious question.)

I'd love to schedule Penn State there, but I think PSU could sell out Yankee Stadium if they played some worthless school without any fans of their own (oh, wait...). They don't need our help to sell the place out.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Is this a law, or just a policy? (Serious question.)

I'd love to schedule Penn State there, but I think PSU could sell out Yankee Stadium if they played some worthless school without any fans of their own (oh, wait...). They don't need our help to sell the place out.

I think it's law. I found an article from years ago stating that the General Assembly had given its "blessing" to UCONN to play home games away from the Rent to schedule the 10-game Notre Dame series. Any "home" game away from the Rent would need their blessing as well as the blessing from state legislators. I think it has something to do with the original funding pact to build the Rent.

And I agree with you - Penn State would sell out Yankee playing against anyone. I would prefer that that sellout come against us though. ;)

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
We would need a larger venue than Yankee Stadium for a matchup with Penn St (I would love to see a three game set with a visit to Beaver Stadium and two split gate/neutral site games; one at the Meadowlands and one at Foxboro).

I have been arguing for games such as this on our schedule for about a decade. There can be nothing but good drawn from expanding our reach closer to both NYC and Boston.

Reaction Score
After watching the Pinstripe Bowl this past Saturday, I couldn't help but be impressed with the Penn State turnout. They truly turned Yankee Stadium into a home game for their Nittany Lions. It got me to thinking about Jim Delany's continual comments about expanding eastward, in large part, to bring B1G games closer to millions of alumni who work/live on the east coast.

Then, naturally, I got to thinking about how UCONN can play a role in this.

UCONN brought some 16-18K fans to a garbage game against Army this past November; a battle of two putrid 2-win teams. UCONN fans have travelled quite well to past bowl games and in road games against Notre Dame and Michigan. So...is it time for Warde Manuel and/or Susan Herbst to approach the State and ask for them to ease up on their legislated home game venue requirement?

In the spirit of all this...I think it is time for Warde (and the State of CT) to "sacrifice" a home game and aggressively approach Penn State about a game at Yankee Stadium. As the "home team", UCONN could control a large chunk of the gate (sure to be a sellout), boost their average per-game attendance for the year, and offer season ticket holders a chance to see UCONN play a marquee OOC game (since our AAC conference schedule does not do much for most UCONN fans). Make no mistake, there WILL be more PSU fans in attendance than UCONN fans. But there will also be MUCH more UCONN fans at this game than what BC brought to the Pinstripe Bowl. Electric atmosphere anyone???

The offer is simple: we sacrifice the home game so they don't have to, but we share the gate. Even if we share it 50/50, we'd likely still make more money on the game than any regular season game at the Rent that would bring 25-30K through the gates. If Penn State says no thanks, then we keep going down the B1G school rolodex until we find an interested party. OSU? Michigan? Michigan State? Wisconsin? Nebraska? All of these games would also sell out.

Our 2015 home slate is, to put it nicely, God fahqing awful. The best games on the 2015 season (and the ones that I plan on spending thousands of dollars to attend despite knowing full well that we are going to lose) are road games at Missouri and BYU. We desperately need juice. We also desperately need to demonstrate that UCONN football carries a pulse in big games. Without the help from a bowl game, UCONN has only played in one "needle moving" game in the past 4 years. The reasons for UCONN to want to schedule such a game are obvious. Why would Penn State do it (or OSU, Michigan, MSU, UW, UNL)? For the very reason that Jim Delany wants to move eastward: a VERY large alumni fanbase on the east coast. These fans will get a chance to go High Points Stadium at Rutgers but tickets will be limited, dependent on how many tickets outside of the school's normal 5-7K allotment are available. At Yankee Stadium, they could offer their huge fanbases a venue with 20-30K open seats in the best city in the world.

Sure, UCONN might lose the game if it's played sooner than later. But what we'd lose on the field, we'd win in the stands. 20+K fans making up a truly electric atmosphere in a city that UCONN has always demonstrated tremendous presence in. The game would serve as yet another reminder that eastward B1G expansion should include UCONN.

Here's hoping that Warde and the State of CT have already begun the process to schedule such a game or series of games.

I agree with you 101% here Mr Dooley. My only concern is the ol' "why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free" analogy coming true with conference alignment and UConn/Big 10 if we do stuff like this, but we probably have no choice and must do it.

Reaction Score
If UConn plays Penn St at Yankee, can UConn count all of the fans wearing blue in the stadium as UConn fans just as BC is counting everyone at the Pinstripe Bowl who sat in the 'BC' sections as BC fans even if there were wearing blue and singing the Penn State fight song?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Mr. Conehead said:
If UConn plays Penn St at Yankee, can UConn count all of the fans wearing blue in the stadium as UConn fans just as BC is counting everyone at the Pinstripe Bowl who sat in the 'BC' sections as BC fans even if there were wearing blue and singing the Penn State fight song?

I was wearing my blue UConn hoodie. Actually saw a few UConn fans representing. One BC fan with a UConn shirt and BC hat?????

Reaction Score
I think it's law. I found an article from years ago stating that the General Assembly had given its "blessing" to UCONN to play home games away from the Rent to schedule the 10-game Notre Dame series. Any "home" game away from the Rent would need their blessing as well as the blessing from state legislators. I think it has something to do with the original funding pact to build the Rent.

And I agree with you - Penn State would sell out Yankee playing against anyone. I would prefer that that sellout come against us though. ;)

The relevant statutory discussion of the requirement to play home games at the Rent is discussed in C.G.S. Sect. 32-654(a)(1)(K):

(K) A memorandum of understanding with the university setting forth the material terms of proposed lease, license or other use arrangements regarding university events at the stadium facility, including at a minimum the material terms of the commitment of the university regarding the playing of home football games at the sportsplex, including arrangements with respect to the allocation of event revenues and expenses, other revenue derived as a result of the university’s upgrades to Division IA football status, rental or use charges, day of game expenses, event scheduling, ticket operations, event management and operations and responsibilities for maintenance, repair and insurance and sources of revenue to be used by the university to cover capital and operating expenses resulting from the university upgrade to Division IA football[.]

Reaction Score
There are no rules I'm aware of that restrict UCONN in any way when it comes to the scheduling of neutral site or away games.

Scheduling home games for UCONN away from Rentschler field? Finding an opponent to agree to such a thing for revenue sharing purposes would probably be harder to find than getting around any outdated state regulations regarding use of Rentschler field.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
At least for me, I felt like football at a baseball stadium was a big let down.

Sightlines were awful and it just didn't do anything for me.

Much rather try and get a game at giants stadium or Foxboro.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This was a thing when ND wanted no part of the Rent (pre CR II). It wouldn't be an issue today. They'd pass whatever they'd need to pass to get UConn a marquee opponent like PSU.

Reaction Score
The problem with Yankee Stadium is no games until after mid-October, just in case Yanks make the World Series. They will not allow the field to get chewed up during the baseball season. Not sure PSU would want to play us that late in the season.

Reaction Score
The problem with Yankee Stadium is no games until after mid-October, just in case Yanks make the World Series. They will not allow the field to get chewed up during the baseball season. Not sure PSU would want to play us that late in the season.

actually, they'd probably play it safer than that and have the game only after Nov 1st

Reaction Score

Much rather try and get a game at giants stadium or Foxboro.

True and the same goes for soccer. It's the name and location that bring events and fans there. Marketing 101. If football was to be played there every day, it would loose its cache and fans would quickly realize they are paying premiums prices for less than a premium football (or soccer) environment.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Pole.jpg

It was fine. I was almost on the 50!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I was being sort of tongue-in-cheek since I wasn't expecting 50-yard line seats to be obstructed view. And did you notice that top support is perfectly on the hash mark? It was comical how many plays started in that 5-yard strip.

Reaction Score
PSU would never play a split gate game at Yankee stadium. Venue is way too small for that school.

Reaction Score
PSU would never play a split gate game at Yankee stadium. Venue is way too small for that school.
ND agreed to play BC at Fenway Park. Yankee Stadium is much larger than Fenway Park. And ND has as many, if not more, fans than Penn State does. Besides, its not the attendance at these games that drives the revenues to these schools. Its primarily the TV revenue distributions. So if Penn State thinks they can make a good buck playing Uconn in a football game, they'd even play them at Hamden High School if they thought that'd do it for them. The size of the stadium is of little to no consequence in these matters.

Reaction Score

Im not sure what people expected in terms of a BC showing. They sold their allotment and easily had 15k in the stands (of a sellout attendance of 49k). When your playing a school with an enrollment of 45.5k at State College (and an enrollment number upwards of 90k+ with the statewide system, and people who go to the satellite campuses are part of the PSU FB fanbase) vs. one of 8k, its of course going to be a one sided event, its just an inevitable number game.

Anyone that thinks that uconn would have a better showing is nuts (and to think that uconn had 16-18k vs army is equally as nuts, especially when the 300/400 levels were closed and at a minimum Army brought 5k cadets which would mean only 4k-6k Army fans based on an overall attendance of 27k ? i dont think so).

Reaction Score
Tennessee filled their spot when they postponed our series with...UAB who isn't a team anymore. We should give them a call first.

Reaction Score
We have 5 wins the last 2 years and currently can't even beat SMU and Army, but by all means, let's continue to beef up our non league schedule so we enter AAC play at 1-3 or 0-4 every year.

Reaction Score
Im not sure what people expected in terms of a BC showing. They sold their allotment and easily had 15k in the stands (of a sellout attendance of 49k). When your playing a school with an enrollment of 45.5k at State College (and an enrollment number upwards of 90k+ with the statewide system, and people who go to the satellite campuses are part of the PSU FB fanbase) vs. one of 8k, its of course going to be a one sided event, its just an inevitable number game.

Anyone that thinks that uconn would have a better showing is nuts (and to think that uconn had 16-18k vs army is equally as nuts, especially when the 300/400 levels were closed and at a minimum Army brought 5k cadets which would mean only 4k-6k Army fans based on an overall attendance of 27k ? i dont think so).
NM

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member