Can’t believe anyone ever doubted whether we hired the right guy | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Can’t believe anyone ever doubted whether we hired the right guy

Reaction Score
Actually no. There WERE actually people on this board, multiple in fact, questioning Hurley early on. As if correcting the mess that Ollie created would happen overnight. We are now competing and recruiting at an elite level.....just over two years in .

its borderline miraculous
The truth is this place wouldn't be 'The Boneyard', if that didn't happen.

Reaction Score
The people who questioned the hire when it happened were crazy but it was at least understandable given where UConn was as a program. The people who were questioning Hurley still this season on the other hand are insane

Reaction Score
I don’t understand how JC has become this myth who never lost a basketball game. JC simply doesn’t lose against a top 10 team when he’s up late? Uhm...what? We had plenty of heartbreakers. Miami comes to mind - up 4 with less than 10 seconds on the clock and they didn’t even need OT to come back and win.

I get that Hurley is still improving in areas but we gotta stop holding him to this impossible “JC would never let that happen” standard.
First, it wasn’t a knock. Second , of course he should be compared to the best of the best. That’s the whole purpose in any competitive endeavor. Yes, JC lost games, and even had some shaky seasons. But, he was a master in-game tactician that helped win a lot more games than he lost. If Hurley can keep improving in that area he can be legendary too.

Reaction Score
We could have gotten Shaka instead of Ollie, some people thought he was coming here.

It all worked out, got a National Championship and now have the perfect coach to bring us back to the top
And that’s relevant to hiring Ollie’s REPLACEMENT how??

Reaction Score
There are people that wrote Dan off after the first year when he inherited a losing culture. He has completely turned around the attitude of the team and it is reaping rewards, especially with the Marquette display. In Dan I trust since day 1!!!!

Reaction Score
I'm just nervous that Hurley isn't here for the long haul, but these days there are probably no lifer coaches in college basketball anyway. I don't even think Pikiell would've been a lifer here if the NBA came calling. I see us getting back to elite level in a year or two, Hurley leaving and we have another hit or miss hire with our next coach.

Where do you think Hurley is going? How many jobs actually exist that would be upgrades for him in terms of where he can get the players he needs to win?

Reaction Score
Actually no. There WERE actually people on this board, multiple in fact, questioning Hurley early on. As if correcting the mess that Ollie created would happen overnight. We are now competing and recruiting at an elite level.....just over two years in .

Unless you provide names, it never happened.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
First, it wasn’t a knock. Second , of course he should be compared to the best of the best. That’s the whole purpose in any competitive endeavor. Yes, JC lost games, and even had some shaky seasons. But, he was a master in-game tactician that helped win a lot more games than he lost. If Hurley can keep improving in that area he can be legendary too.
I don't remember Hurley making an error in the end game against Creighton. What should he have done differently?

Reaction Score
I'm just nervous that Hurley isn't here for the long haul, but these days there are probably no lifer coaches in college basketball anyway. I don't even think Pikiell would've been a lifer here if the NBA came calling. I see us getting back to elite level in a year or two, Hurley leaving and we have another hit or miss hire with our next coach.
I don’t think that’s something you need to spend time worrying about right now.

Reaction Score
Well I was on the list calling for Ollie's head and Hurley to be hired at least a year and a half before it happened. It was obvious that Hurley would be a better hire with his history of growing programs and his Northeast ties.

Reaction Score
Well I was on the list calling for Ollie's head and Hurley to be hired at least a year and a half before it happened. It was obvious that Hurley would be a better hire with his history of growing programs and his Northeast ties.
I got you beat, I wanted UConn to hire Hurley in 2012.

Reaction Score
I don’t understand how JC has become this myth who never lost a basketball game. JC simply doesn’t lose against a top 10 team when he’s up late? Uhm...what? We had plenty of heartbreakers. Miami comes to mind - up 4 with less than 10 seconds on the clock and they didn’t even need OT to come back and win.

I get that Hurley is still improving in areas but we gotta stop holding him to this impossible “JC would never let that happen” standard.
Exactly. Donyell Marshall missed foul shots just like RJ Cole. It happens. Neither is a reflection on the coach.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score

To be fair, it did take him a while to see the potential in Whaley. And in-game decisions and adjustments are on the right track but still have some room to improve.

But the recruiting? And the D? And getting them to play 40 minutes of UConn ball?

giphy.gif

Reaction Score
He’s doing great. There are 4 aspects of great coaching (1) recruiting (2) teaching and motivating, (3) system and strategy and (4) in-game management. He is doing great on 1-2, and 3 and 4 remain works in progress but getting better. As observed, JC simply doesn’t lose against Creighton with 22 seconds on the clock up 4. In the same token, we’d be down 17 with 4 minutes left with KO at the helm. So, yeah, hard to complain.
I think you blacked out a number of games we lost in that exact same manner under JC

Reaction Score
I think any criticism of Hurley's in game management is completely subjective at this point. There is not enough evidence to show he is clearly above average, and there is no evidence (as far as I'm concerned) that he is below average.

I think where he has excelled where KO failed tremendously, is on game prep. Which I think matters more than in game adjustments.

Reaction Score
I think any criticism of Hurley's in game management is completely subjective at this point. There is not enough evidence to show he is clearly above average, and there is no evidence (as far as I'm concerned) that he is below average.

I think where he has excelled where KO failed tremendously, is on game prep. Which I think matters more than in game adjustments.
And CLEARLY in recruiting. Which is the lifeblood of any program. Calipari can't coach a lick, but his recruiting is off the charts. (yeah, I know, bags of money, blah, blah).

Reaction Score
I always thought JC was a really good talent evaluator. We had our share of good (not great) recruits who turned out to be very good players. Maybe all programs do. It looks like Bouk may be a similar player. Good (not great) recruit who is actually a pretty great player.

So it's nice to see similar things out of Hurley.

Reaction Score
He’s doing great. There are 4 aspects of great coaching (1) recruiting (2) teaching and motivating, (3) system and strategy and (4) in-game management. He is doing great on 1-2, and 3 and 4 remain works in progress but getting better. As observed, JC simply doesn’t lose against Creighton with 22 seconds on the clock up 4. In the same token, we’d be down 17 with 4 minutes left with KO at the helm. So, yeah, hard to complain.

Reaction Score
I was younger and more emotional about loses back then. My frustration peaked after this game. There may have been other games where I was equally upset, but never more upset. Couldn't believe what I just watched.

I'm actually pretty content about our recent stretch of national irrelevance. It's allowed me to dial back some of the emotion. I'm a much more composed fan.

Reaction Score

Darius Rice at their new Convocation Center (now Watsco) in 2003. I was at that game. Took a lot of abuse on the way out.

Reaction Score

Further, just look at Miami's record going into that game...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom