2023 Recruiting: - Cam Spencer | Page 11 | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: Cam Spencer

Reaction Score
Does the microwave scorer necessarily have to be a shooter? Because Solo can 100% fill that microwave role off the bench if we’re just talking about scoring and he can be a two way player.
We want to surrond Clingan with 4 shooters so it can open the inside like it did for Sanogo last year. Problem last year was Andre wasn't a shooter but we found a way to keep him on the basline helping out Sanogo when doubled team to be a release.

Reaction Score
We lose one great shooting starter in Hawkins and one great shooting bench player in Joey. We lose one really bad shooting starter in Jackson and one bad shooting bench player in Alleyne. Sanogo proved to be a very good shooter but he took threes infrequently.

If we get Spencer our shooting should be really good again. Karaban and Spencer are knockdown shooters, Newton is a very good shooter and Ross looks like a knockdown shooter.
Don't disagree with your observations except for Alleyne.. Had many key buckets during the late season winning streak and the Tournament.. Was he off the charts? No.. But he turned momentum in games on more than a couple occasions with timely buckets when other guys couldn't buy a bucket. Can you throw stats/data to challenge his value?? I'm sure you can..

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
We want to surrond Clingan with 4 shooters so it can open the inside like it did for Sanogo last year. Problem last year was Andre wasn't a shooter but we found a way to keep him on the basline helping out Sanogo when doubled team to be a release.
I mean yeah, that kind of shows it’s not as necessary. Solo will 100% be a better shooter and all around scorer than Andre too. Lol

What this team may lack in shooting from last year can make up for with their ability to dribble drive and penetrate to create their own shots.

Reaction Score
I mean yeah, that kind of shows it’s not as necessary. Solo will 100% be a better shooter and all around scorer than Andre too. Lol

What this team may lack in shooting from last year can make up for with their ability to dribble drive and penetrate to create their own shots.
Ball isn't know as a shooter, you even said he is more known as a scorer, and he is a Freshman. I rather have a proven upper classmen shooter to add to the starting lineup.

Reaction Score
Does the microwave scorer necessarily have to be a shooter? Because Solo can 100% fill that microwave role off the bench if we’re just talking about scoring and he can be a two way player.

There are a million ways to skin a cat but I don't think it would put the same type of pressure on a defense. As to the first part - the Knicks were 3rd in O Rating or something this year. For all we know, Johnson could blossom and our team could be an offensive rebounding juggernaut. Just that we had such a nice formula last year that's its hard not to try that style again.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
There are a million ways to skin a cat but I don't think it would put the same type of pressure on a defense. As to the first part - the Knicks were 3rd in O Rating or something this year. For all we know, Johnson could blossom and our team could be an offensive rebounding juggernaut. Just that we had such a nice formula last year that's its hard not to try that style again.
We also did have the best motion shooter and screen runner in college basketball to build that offense around. Just not sure about trying that again without that kind of almost generational talent to do it with.

I’m very uncomfortable with the idea that we can’t prioritize a top recruit like Solo Ball on this roster and need to grab a guy to play over him because Solo isn’t a 40% 3 pt shooter when there’s so many other things he does well that can help winning.

Reaction Score
I don’t think anyone is. It’s very high expectations to replace one of the best shooters in college basketball and a guy who was shooting 50% from three during OOC for anyone.

I’m just not sure why we would be so certain that the freshman aren’t going to be ready to step up and be serviceable.
Think about how elite a shooter Hawkins is. Then think back to freshman Hawkins, coming to UConn with a dynamite rep as a shooter. The next big thing. How’d that play out?

Not saying that Ross and/or Stewart won’t be great shooters their freshman year. Hoping that one of them is. Just saying that its not always, or even usually, the case.

Whereas a 4th or 5th year college transfer can usually be counted on to play to their past performance level. Just a surer bet.

Secure Dog

Blue Collar = Blue Blood
Reaction Score
We also did have the best motion shooter and screen runner in college basketball to build that offense around. Just not sure about trying that again without that kind of almost generational talent to do it with.

I’m very uncomfortable with the idea that we can’t prioritize a top recruit like Solo Ball on this roster and need to grab a guy to play over him because Solo isn’t a 40% 3 pt shooter when there’s so many other things he does well that can help winning.
It is tough for freshman. Look at Hawk he went from a freshman who could not stay healthy, but you could see had a beautiful shot to and I agree a “a generational talent” by the time his sophomore season was finished. I love this classes overall talent and I am hopeful Castle plays like a FOY, or if he over achieves maybe POY conference. But it’s so hard on freshman when you ask them to be a main piece not a role player. I have watched enough tape on Spencer that clearly shows he would be a + addition and slot nicely into the three on offense. It will be interesting to see who guards the other teams three. Castle has the size but he is a freshman.

Reaction Score

It’s a win/win situation imo and we have a great staff to adjust our style according to the personnel. Spencer and Timberlake are very, very good and they are the only players we have been in the mix for so that probably says something about how the staff views Solo. It’s not like they are casting a wide net for marginal talents at the 2.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
It is tough for freshman. Look at Hawk he went from a freshman who could not stay healthy, but you could see had a beautiful shot to and I agree a “a generational talent” by the time his sophomore season was finished. I love this classes overall talent and I am hopeful Castle plays like a FOY, or if he over achieves maybe POY conference. But it’s so hard on freshman when you ask them to be a main piece not a role player. I have watched enough tape on Spencer that clearly shows he would be a + addition and slot nicely into the three on offense. It will be interesting to see who guards the other teams three. Castle has the size but he is a freshman.
Hawkins came out the gate hot though. He did not originally struggle right out the gate. He actually looked like one of the most talented players on the team. It’s why his sophomore breakout was such an easy bet because it was always just about him getting playing time and touches.

There are a lot more examples of guys who thrived their freshman year and stepped up with the playing time they had than otherwise. I’ve provided video proof of this on the board before. Lol

I can’t think of an example outside of Deandre Daniels where we’ve given a freshman ample playing time and they didn’t come through for us.

Secure Dog

Blue Collar = Blue Blood
Reaction Score
Hawkins came out the gate hot though. He did not originally struggle right out the gate. He actually looked like one of the most talented players on the team. It’s why his sophomore breakout was such an easy bet because it was always just about him getting playing time and touches.

There are a lot more examples of guys who thrived their freshman year and stepped up with the playing time they had than otherwise. I’ve provided video proof of this on the board before. Lol

I can’t think of an example outside of Deandre Daniels where we’ve given a freshman ample playing time and they didn’t come through for us.
Here’s to hoping you are right and we get an AK type surprise from one of the fresh if we do not bring in any other transfer. Spencer does worry me a bit when it comes to culture, only from the NIL side. I respect the heck out of Pikiell and if this guy could play for him, he should be squared away as a team mate.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Here’s to hoping you are right and we get an AK type surprise from one of the fresh if we do not bring in any other transfer. Spencer does worry me a bit when it comes to culture, only from the NIL side. I respect the heck out of Pikiell and if this guy could play for him, he should be squared away as a team mate.
Spencer does seem good. This isn’t a knock on him as a player. I’m just not sure if he’d be better in March than one of the higher ceiling freshman guys. And I worry about situations similar to Hawkins freshman year. I’m more of the opinion that thinks this class of guys is just that good.

Reaction Score
Hawkins freshman stats were 33.3 3p%; 35.3 fg%; and 5.8 ppg. I wouldn’t label that “hot out of the gate”.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
@BigErnMcCracken whats funny? Do you have examples of freshman who struggled outside of those I listed? Genuinely curious if I may have missed any which is possible.

Reaction Score

After the Auburn game (his first against a good team), here are his next 8 ORTGs in games against top 100 teams (less than 100 is bad):
83, 57, 27, 91, 30, 23, --, 54.

He started and played over 20 min in the 27 and 91 games due to Martin's injury. This is why your "Hawkins should've played more as a freshman" takes make no sense.

Last edited:

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Hawkins freshman stats were 33.3 3p%; 35.3 fg%; and 5.8 ppg. I wouldn’t label that “hot out of the gate”.
I’d say

5 points and 3 steals in 8 mins
11 points on 62/50 in 13 mins
16 points on 72/100 in 15 mins

A pretty hot 3 game start to your career. Why he tailed off is something that’s debatable, but he did show the flash right out the gate originally. Those ups and downs are expected. Jeremy Lamb had those really bad stretches but by March he was one of the best players on the floor after being able to play through them.

Alex can say the same thing after he got cooked in December/January defensively but was one of the best defenders in the Big East down the stretch because he was allowed to play through those mistakes and learn. If we brought in a high floor low ceiling player just for that stretch, we don’t get the Alex we saw in March.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
After the Auburn game (his first against a good team), here are his next 8 ORTGs in games against top 100 teams (less than 100 is bad):
83, 57, 27, 91, 30, 23, --, 54.

He started and played over 20 min in the 27 and 91 games due to Martin's injury. This is why your "Hawkins should've played more as a freshman" takes make no sense.
He was big against Auburn. His defense was abysmal. His ball handling wasn’t much better. Later in the year he got some minutes because he committed to playing D and his shooting showed up. How soon we forget.

I don’t think much has changed for Hurley. You don’t defend you don’t play. Fortunately, I expect Ball will defend from day 1. Interested to see what Ross and Stewart do.

Reaction Score

I can’t think of an example outside of Deandre Daniels where we’ve given a freshman ample playing time and they didn’t come through for us

Maybe, just maybe, that’s because if they weren’t ready to contribute as true frosh they didn’t play a lot? See, e.g., Marcus Williams, Jeff Adrien and Donny Marshall.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Maybe, just maybe, that’s because if they weren’t ready to contribute as true frosh they didn’t play a lot? See, e.g., Marcus Williams, Jeff Adrien and Donny Marshall.
I’m not old enough for Donny but the rest are terrible examples.

Marcus Williams was averaging 4 assists a game his freshman year in 14 minutes on a championship team before being suspended for academic reasons.

If you think Jeff Adrien wasn’t a big contributor to 2006 then you just have a bad memory there. He was a soldier from day 1 and first off the bench for Boone and Hilton. He was over ready to play.

These examples are going to be hard to find because there almost are none. This board has created this myth based on just 2021.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Marcus Williams was averaging 4 assists a game his freshman year in 14 minutes on a championship team before being suspended for academic reasons.

If you think Jeff Adrien wasn’t a big contributor to 2006 then you just have a bad memory there. He was a soldier from day 1 and first off the bench for Boone and Hilton. He was over ready to play.

These examples are going to be hard to find because there almost are none. This board has created this myth based on just 2021.
The word you keep using is “bench”. I don’t doubt some of these guys will be contributing off the bench. Starters are rare. Right now we are missing a starting SF. It’s a need.

Reaction Score
I also don’t think we’re giving this guy enough credit…..

Big question on offense will be how much his 3pt% and consistency have improved. He should be a low TO guy who can put pressure on the rim from day 1. With Newton, Karaban and Castle, he won't be expected to be a great passer (and isn't).

That all hinges on adjusting on defense. But it's hard for me to imagine he won't eventually coming from Brewster amd with that length/athleticism.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
The word you keep using is “bench”. I don’t doubt some of these guys will be contributing off the bench. Starters are rare. Right now we are missing a starting SF. It’s a need.
I can understand that more. I don’t agree but can understand it more rather than guys won’t be ready.

A 6’7 do it all athlete like Jayden Ross can be better than a 6’4 in unathletic Cam Spencer in March if you let him.

Remember when we wanted to bring in Landers Nolley last year for experience at the 4 and had to settle for freshman Alex Karaban instead?

Reaction Score

Scott Burrell was ready as a freshman. Donyell Marshall too. Josh Boone and Charlie Villanueva also. Obviously no freshman will be as ready as they will be as sophomores or juniors.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom