OT: Cam Newton to the Pats. | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: Cam Newton to the Pats.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Nope. I'm saying that maybe, just maybe, it really was Brady that was the reason they won.

I don't believe that. They won just fine with Bledsoe and Cassel.

I think there are some factors at work:
  • Patriots had the most players opt out. The opt out came late enough that you couldn't replace those guys with free agents
  • QB is new to the system and then got Covid
  • Defense and OL, already thin, have lost a lot of players to injuries or IR. All three TEs are hurt right now.
  • Dead cap space is hugely high and while BB oversold that excuse, it did limit them from trying to get anything but cheap fill ins.
Even then they had close losses on the road in KC and Buffalo. The Denver and SF games are what stand out as aberrations.

If Belichick doesn't reload and win next year, then maybe I'll entertain those doubts. Brady went to a team that was already stacked with talent.

Reaction Score
I think there are some factors at work:
  • Patriots had the most players opt out. The opt out came late enough that you couldn't replace those guys with free agents
  • QB is new to the system and then got Covid
  • Defense and OL, already thin, have lost a lot of players to injuries or IR. All three TEs are hurt right now.
  • Dead cap space is hugely high and while BB oversold that excuse, it did limit them from trying to get anything but cheap fill ins.

So, I'll play.

• You could argue those players wouldn't have opted out if Brady came back. The prospect of playing with Brian Hoyer may have made that decision easier.
  • Again, Brady there solves this issue too.
  • Again, and this is a thin one....maybe Gronk still comes back to NE? Again, a thin one.
  • Dead cap space is Belichick's fault. Dead cap space is player money to a contract that didnt' work out in their favor. I don't know the specifics of the dead cap, but that's the general school of thought.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So, I'll play.

• You could argue those players wouldn't have opted out if Brady came back. The prospect of playing with Brian Hoyer may have made that decision easier.
  • Again, Brady there solves this issue too.
  • Again, and this is a thin one....maybe Gronk still comes back to NE? Again, a thin one.
  • Dead cap space is Belichick's fault. Dead cap space is player money to a contract that didnt' work out in their favor. I don't know the specifics of the dead cap, but that's the general school of thought.

The biggest chunk of dead cap we have is Brady. The next biggest is Antonio Brown, who we only signed because Brady wanted him (just convinced Tampa to make the same mistake). Brady decided to leave before the last Super Bowl win. It had nothing to do with “weapons”.

Opt outs were mostly by guys who had new babies at home and were worried about the disease.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Brady has thrown 3 INTs tonight so far...

He killed my fantasy team, even though I had the Saints D.

Reaction Score
Arians made comments today hinting that Brady missed Evans open all night. I don't think Brady and Arians are where they need to be as a pair. Brady isn't on the same page with WR's, seems Arians is frustrated with some choices. Maybe a weird preseason and no preseason games is a factor?

All I know is, with the talent they have on offense, to score 3 pts against an average Saints D is inexcusable.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
All I know is, with the talent they have on offense, to score 3 pts against an average Saints D is inexcusable.
Too bad you can't have fun just rooting for your team. I'm sure you saw where Belichick said leaving the Jets was "one of the great moments of my career."

Reaction Score
Too bad you can't have fun just rooting for your team. I'm sure you saw where Belichick said leaving the Jets was "one of the great moments of my career."

Are you out of your mind? I'm a prisoner of my team. They haven't brought me joy in 40+ years of following them. Why on earth would you think it's possible to "have fun" being a Jets fan?

I mean, they're halfway through a season, have 0 wins and have already ruined Trevor Lawrence's NFL career.

Reaction Score
Are you out of your mind? I'm a prisoner of my team. They haven't brought me joy in 40+ years of following them. Why on earth would you think it's possible to "have fun" being a Jets fan?

I mean, they're halfway through a season, have 0 wins and have already ruined Trevor Lawrence's NFL career.
Make your life easier. Just realize it's just a business and a rich man's toy to abuse. They're not clubs, they are franchises. The abuse can even lead to higher revenues. Exhibit A: the Dallas Cowboys.

The Wilpons had some fun abusing the Mets' fanbase. Cohen has different goals on his mind, because he's a fan of the franchise/sport and wants to win.

I remember letting go of the Whalers before they moved. When their move was announced, wasn't even bothered much. While others were crying and still do.

Reaction Score
Make your life easier. Just realize it's just a business and a rich man's toy to abuse. They're not clubs, they are franchises. The abuse can even lead to higher revenues. Exhibit A: the Dallas Cowboys.

The Wilpons had some fun abusing the Mets' fanbase. Cohen has different goals on his mind, because he's a fan of the franchise/sport and wants to win.

I remember letting go of the Whalers before they moved. When their move was announced, wasn't even bothered much. While others were crying and still do.
  • Last week, the Jets "franchise" had 4 plays in the 4th quarter.
  • Against the Bills, the "franchise" had 4 net yards in the 2nd half.
  • Down 2 scores earlier in the year, they ran 37 year old Frank Gore into the middle on 2nd and 26. When asked about it later, Gase said that play gave us the best chance against the defense at the time.
  • They are 32nd in the league in virtually every team offensive category there is.
  • Can't miss prospect Trevor Lawrence is being told by his coaches and by anyone with a microphone to stay in school another year....like Peyton Manning did when he was a Jr and the Jets had the #1 overall pick.
I could go on all day. What else can I discuss? Coaches? Draft picks? Players they let go?

Reaction Score
  • Last week, the Jets "franchise" had 4 plays in the 4th quarter.
  • Against the Bills, the "franchise" had 4 net yards in the 2nd half.
  • Down 2 scores earlier in the year, they ran 37 year old Frank Gore into the middle on 2nd and 26. When asked about it later, Gase said that play gave us the best chance against the defense at the time.
  • They are 32nd in the league in virtually every team offensive category there is.
  • Can't miss prospect Trevor Lawrence is being told by his coaches and by anyone with a microphone to stay in school another year....like Peyton Manning did when he was a Jr and the Jets had the #1 overall pick.
I could go on all day. What else can I discuss? Coaches? Draft picks? Players they let go?
Just as much a franchise as running a McDonald's. Location for fanbase, management of the franchise, and talented employees, most being easily discardable.

The Patriots won 6 titles with master burger flipper Tom Brady. Seems to have more trouble with flipping burgers for the Buccaneers.

That GOAT acronym for the best burger flippers represents this, whether I like it or not... It's amazing people have no idea, been into heavy metal for almost 40 years.

Reaction Score
Just as much a franchise as running a McDonald's. Location for fanbase, management of the franchise, and talented employees, most being easily discardable.

The Patriots won 6 titles with master burger flipper Tom Brady. Seems to have more trouble with flipping burgers for the Buccaneers.

That GOAT acronym for the best burger flippers represents this, whether I like it or not... It's amazing people have no idea, been into heavy metal for almost 40 years.

I guess.....coming from the guy with 18,000 posts on a college basketball message board. Lots of time spent somewhere that's following a franchise.

Reaction Score
I guess.....coming from the guy with 18,000 posts on a college basketball message board. Lots of time spent somewhere that's following a franchise.
I've already acknowledged this is a waste of time. And my posts are usually short. UConn grad, sorry. And all UConn sports programs are covered here.

There's also the Cesspool. Your focus has been the basketball program, not mine. I went to way more football and hockey games.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Like I said, too bad.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm already missing my weekly dose of schadenfreude from the peanut gallery. Did something happen?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I’m not a pats fan, but cam without covid and this season is probably looking very different

Reaction Score
Looks like the Patriots actually do have the better coaching staff. Arians has serious issues, too. It's laughable how arrogant some become for success in running a circus show.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom