Calhoun and Ollie both on with BIG Mike | The Boneyard

Calhoun and Ollie both on with BIG Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Saw they tweeted that KO will be on at 4pm didn't say anything about Calhoun

Reaction Score
Calhoun saying that he would return to coaching in the right situation. No NBA aspirations but he'd think about coming back to the college game.

Reaction Score
Here is what he said. The right college, the right situation, if he could take an assistant that would be the next coach. That's a rare situation because who's gonna let him choose the next coach? Only UCONN would do that IMO and that was pretty close.

g_smith

made my username before I noticed the UConn theme
Reaction Score
Calhoun saying that he would return to coaching in the right situation. No NBA aspirations but he'd think about coming back to the college game.

He just said 2 days ago he had no interest in BC. And that he's only willing to talk basketball. But now he's saying he does have interest in coaching in general... Come on JC just enjoy retirement.

Reaction Score
He clearly misses the game, I wish he said what he really feels about BC.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Think about it. Sampson to Houston, Brown @ SMU, Calhoun to USF. Suddenly the AAC has street cred.

Reaction Score
Here is what he said. The right college, the right situation, if he could take an assistant that would be the next coach. That's a rare situation because who's gonna let him choose the next coach? Only UCONN would do that IMO and that was pretty close.
I think other schools might consider. I mean, Larry Brown has a similar thing going on to this.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
As much as I respect the guy, I think he should enjoy his UConn legacy, which in college coaching surpasses Larry Brown, and coach rec league kids if he needs to coach. With his health history, I can't imagine his wife liking the idea of him coaching big time any more, unless it's to stop him kvetching around the house.

Reaction Score
JC pretty much announced he is open for business. Obviously Larry Brown has inspired him to be receptive to the idea of coming back.

The school that should do it is St Johns, fire Lavin bring in JC. JC would take that job in a nano second and turn it around quickly. Pikiell would be the obvious coach in waiting.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He's 23 wins away from 900.

Depending on where he coached, how long he coached, he could get himself into the mid-900s. Probably not to 1000, but still, I never thought he would retire until he passed Bob Knight.

Reaction Score
why couldnt these discussions happen last year? when we were irrelevant and not on the cusp of 2 games till the final four?

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Same league?

If you believe that the AAC is our long term home, Calhoun helping raise the profile of the conference is a net benefit to UConn. Right now the AAC has taken a huge first step towards positioning itself above the big east. You have Buzz leaving Marquette, Creighton and Nova both exited and nova at the hands of an AAC team. Stevens left Butler. What is the marquee program in the Big East right now? Gtown? They are in a vulnerable position.

Brown has SMU cookin with gas, Sampson to Houston is a shot in the arm, even Manning looks like he might be a net positive at Tulsa. Calhoun to USF would be buzz worthy. Its a rising tide raises all boats scenario.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
He just said 2 days ago he had no interest in BC. And that he's only willing to talk basketball. But now he's saying he does have interest in coaching in general... Come on JC just enjoy retirement.
I don't see where he's been inconsistent. He's said all along that he's interested if the right thing comes along. And he has confirmed that BC is not the right thing.

And I don't see how anyone who understands anything about the guy could be remotely surprised by this. He loves the game and he's still passionate as hell about it, and now that he's healthy he has a lot of energy to spare, too. Did you see him watching the Villanova game? Did he look relaxed to you? He looked pretty intense to me. He can almost taste another Final Four and I'm sure it's driving him crazy because he knows he has a lot to give, but it's Ollie's team now and he can't be as involved as he would like to be because that wouldn't be right for our situation.

You have to know that he's seen what Larry Brown is doing, and although somewhat different, he's also taken note of Pat Riley's position in Miami and Phil Jackson's new deal with the Knicks. I think he'd like something like that for himself at the college level. That's why he wants the assistant-in-waiting deal, so he can do all things he wants but lay off some of the daily grind of the season on another coach, in exchange for that coach getting his pearls of wisdom and the program benefiting from his cachet.

Not sure what programs would consider this arrangement, but I'm not surprised at all that he's interested.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score

Exactly why I thought USF. Because there was no feasibly opportunity on the table 2 days ago he closed down the conversation, but he went into more detail about it today than he has previously on national media and on the same radio show he was on 2 days ago. Did something change? Is he laying the foundation for the move so he doesn't look hypocritical? If he thought the opportunities this year were over, maybe he starts to close down the conversation, but all of a sudden a second chance?

Reaction Score
Well put 8893, I don't understand why EVERYTHING is an affront to UConn recently. ESPN, NCAA polls, seedings, writers, tv and now even the coach who built the program is somehow perceived as harming the program. UConn fans are upset because the greatest coach most of us have ever seen wants to exercise his skill & passion?!

Not only does he obviously have the right, but Jim Calhoun has earned the right to go and coach any damn thing he wants to. UConn fans should say nothing but thank you coach.

g_smith

made my username before I noticed the UConn theme
Reaction Score
I don't see where he's been inconsistent. He's said all along that he's interested if the right thing comes along. And he has confirmed that BC is not the right thing.

And I don't see how anyone who understands anything about the guy could be remotely surprised by this. He loves the game and he's still passionate as hell about it, and now that he's healthy he has a lot of energy to spare, too. Did you see him watching the Villanova game? Did he look relaxed to you? He looked pretty intense to me. He can almost taste another Final Four and I'm sure it's driving him crazy because he knows he has a lot to give, but it's Ollie's team now and he can't be as involved as he would like to be because that wouldn't be right for our situation.

You have to know that he's seen what Larry Brown is doing, and although somewhat different, he's also taken note of Pat Riley's position in Miami and Phil Jackson's new deal with the Knicks. I think he'd like something like that for himself at the college level. That's why he wants the assistant-in-waiting deal, so he can do all things he wants but lay off some of the daily grind of the season on another coach, in exchange for that coach getting his pearls of wisdom and the program benefiting from his cachet.

Not sure what programs would consider this arrangement, but I'm not surprised at all that he's interested.

I think I'm just kind of surprised. Since I've only really gotten into following basketball as much as I do now in the past two years, I thought retirement meant done. But now with Larry Brown doing what he is I guess it does make sense that someone who bleeds basketball as much as Calhoun does would want to continue.

Reaction Score
Personally, I hope Jim Calhoun doesn't coach full time in the future. I would be worried about his health. That said, if he wants to coach again, I say it's his choice and I will support his decision. For all he done for UConn he has earned the fans' support if he decides to coach again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom