Caitlyn Clark | The Boneyard

Caitlyn Clark

Reaction Score
Since I already compared Paige to Pistol Pete (about the highest praise you can give someone about there offensive skill set) I want to make another one that maybe hard to live up to. After watching Ms Clark at Iowa play she reminds me of Sabrina Ionescu. She plays with a calm in control style. She has her head up all the time and sees the floor very well. Not a surprise that at one point she was rated number 1 in the class. This should be another thread but for fun a couple more comparisons. Give our Ms Muhl some knee pads and her relentless style reminds me of Jen Rizzotti. Ms Edwards has a build and skill set of a young Swin Cash. If they end up anywhere near them we will be all right the next few years.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Since I already compared Paige to Pistol Pete (about the highest praise you can give someone about there offensive skill set) I want to make another one that maybe hard to live up to. After watching Ms Clark at Iowa play she reminds me of Sabrina Ionescu. She plays with a calm in control style. She has her head up all the time and sees the floor very well. Not a surprise that at one point she was rated number 1 in the class. This should be another thread but for fun a couple more comparisons. Give our Ms Muhl some knee pads and her relentless style reminds me of Jen Rizzotti. Ms Edwards has a build and skill set of a young Swin Cash. If they end up anywhere near them we will be all right the next few years.
I believe this is a repeat comparison thread, so I have to lookup another dead horse meme...
My 2 cents worth...Paige compares with Paige. Nuff said.

Reaction Score
I’ve watch ever one of Clark’s games she is no Sabrina. She can shoot I’ll give her that. If the ball isn’t in her hands she cannot score. Very few of her points come within the offense because after she gives it up she stand still. She forces a lot which is not surprising for a freshman. Her defense is non existence and she literally pouts every time something doesn’t go her way. If she showed this body language with Geno she would never step on the court. She is talented but she picked a safe school where she knew she could do exactly what she did in high school. lets see what happens when she plays a good defense team.

Reaction Score
Agreed on the body language. I saw one instance where a teammate missed her open at the 3 point line and she basically rolled her eyes and shook her head in frustration. The player ended up making a nice drive and dish for a wide open layup by another teammate.

I’ve only watched one of her games, so I’m not sure how common this is. She is very talented, but gave me the impression that she wants to win but also wants to win individual awards. Nothing wrong with that, just polarizing opposite from what I’ve seen from Paige.

Reaction Score
EW is built like Swin Cash on steroids. EW is much more buff than Swin. If NM can be half of Jenn, I'd be happy and I think she can be much more than that! :)

Get you comparisons in now on PB, because soon, there will be NO comparison!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Agreed on the body language. I saw one instance where a teammate missed her open at the 3 point line and she basically rolled her eyes and shook her head in frustration. The player ended up making a nice drive and dish for a wide open layup by another teammate.

I’ve only watched one of her games, so I’m not sure how common this is. She is very talented, but gave me the impression that she wants to win but also wants to win individual awards. Nothing wrong with that, just polarizing opposite from what I’ve seen from Paige.
I don't know if what you say is true, but for me her most impressive game was her last one against admittedly a woefully poor Western Illinois team. Clark shot an abysmal 3-15, but had 13 rebounds, 10 assists and 3 steals. That doesn't sound like a me first player to me.

Reaction Score
I don't know if what you say is true, but for me her most impressive game was her last one against admittedly a woefully poor Western Illinois team. Clark shot an abysmal 3-15, but had 13 rebounds, 10 assists and 3 steals. That doesn't sound like a me first player to me.

I also admit to only having seen one game. Just my initial impression, could be completely wrong.

Reaction Score

As I mentioned before in another thread bashing Clark, her non-scoring season stat is pretty much in the same ballpark as Paige. She can be on my team any time.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I’ve watch ever one of Clark’s games she is no Sabrina. She can shoot I’ll give her that. If the ball isn’t in her hands she cannot score. Very few of her points come within the offense because after she gives it up she stand still. She forces a lot which is not surprising for a freshman. Her defense is non existence and she literally pouts every time something doesn’t go her way. If she showed this body language with Geno she would never step on the court. She is talented but she picked a safe school where she knew she could do exactly what she did in high school. lets see what happens when she plays a good defense team.
:eek: I didn't realize there were players that can score "without the ball in their hands".

JordyG

Reaction Score
As I mentioned before in another thread bashing Clark, her non-scoring season stat is pretty much in the same ballpark as Paige. She can be on my team any time.
I remember raving about her on the BY while watching her play in the U 19's when she was on the same team as Paige. I thought she was a terrific outside shooter, although I thought she more consistently took the shot when there were other options available for her teammates. She didn't really give herself the opportunity then to show her all around game so I'm glad she's showing it now. Unfortunately for her I don't think there is a chance in hell of her showing it in a FF game, but she has a slim (extremely slim) chance of showing her stuff in and E8 game.

JordyG

Reaction Score
:eek: I didn't realize there were players that can score "without the ball in their hands".
It's the new COVID-19 BB. Haven't you heard? You don't take the shot and you score well with your peers.

Reaction Score
She may be one of the women who play their best against the best, but play down to the competition. Hopefully, [if all the games are played] we will see by January 21st, after they play Northwestern, Ohio State, and Maryland. If Iowa wins two out of three, they will be back in the top 25. We will also see how Iowa plays as a team....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
How quickly we forget that the classes of 2020 and 21 are loaded with some very good PGs. In 2020 alone 7 of the top 14 ESPN ranked players were PGs. Clark is among them and was competing for the top PG spot in the class since 2017 against Paige. She is a terrific player and my fear when I realized that she was not UCONN bound was that she would end up at ND. I’m very glad to have Paige for UCONN but there are some other terrific PGs out there. Clark was leading Division 1 in scoring.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Pao-Pao from Oregon is turning heads as well. I have seen 3 of their games and she's fairly impressive as a freshman starter on that team.
Just because there are other good players on other team in the country, does not mean we are slighting our own, basketball is getting deeper in talent (finally) and that's a good thing. As has been noted on many threads, Paige has played with virtually all of these other top players and has consistently stood out, I suspect that will continue and that's our good fortune... :)

Merry Christmas to all of you! Thanks for getting me and many of through the year and I look forward to more games to discuss and analysis to perform. Please be safe, healthy and happy!

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
How quickly we forget that the classes of 2020 and 21 are loaded with some very good PGs. In 2020 alone 7 of the top 14 ESPN ranked players were PGs. Clark is among them and was competing for the top PG spot in the class since 2017 against Paige. She is a terrific player and my fear when I realized that she was not UCONN bound was that she would end up at ND. I very glad to have Paige for UCONN but there are some other terrific PGs out there. Clark was leading Division 1 in scoring.

And for quite some time, I was hoping Caitlin Clark would end up at ND. Then something happened (or simply didn't) and she stayed in-state at Iowa. The comment made here is that she's playing much the same way she did at Dowling Catholic HS is pretty apt up to this point: Caitlin, with help from her center, and everyone else gets a few. It will work against a lot of teams, but the challenge for the Iowa coaching staff is to get some more top recruits to help Clark.

Believe me, I sometimes shape my head at how Clark and Maddy Westbeld could've worked together. :( But que sera sera. I'll have too wait and see how Maddy works with Olivia Miles, another top PG, and Sonia Citron.

That will be the last post of the day before wishing one and all a Merry Xmas and fabulous holiday weekend. And, as the late, great John Prine would sing, "I guess I wish you, All the Best."

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
...Believe me, I sometimes shape my head at how Clark and Maddy Westbeld could've worked together. :( But que sera sera. I'll have too wait and see how Maddy works with Olivia Miles, another top PG, and Sonia Citron.
In to a 3 Leaf clover? Or did you mean "shake" of which I hope you do come out of your stupor... :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, you are always a pleasure to discuss Hoops with even if you are the "enemy" but a friendly one... "frenimy". Wishing you and yours the best this holiday season. :D (green for the Irish).

Reaction Score
And for quite some time, I was hoping Caitlin Clark would end up at ND. Then something happened (or simply didn't) and she stayed in-state at Iowa. The comment made here is that she's playing much the same way she did at Dowling Catholic HS is pretty apt up to this point: Caitlin, with help from her center, and everyone else gets a few. It will work against a lot of teams, but the challenge for the Iowa coaching staff is to get some more top recruits to help Clark.

Believe me, I sometimes shape my head at how Clark and Maddy Westbeld could've worked together. :( But que sera sera. I'll have too wait and see how Maddy works with Olivia Miles, another top PG, and Sonia Citron.

That will be the last post of the day before wishing one and all a Merry Xmas and fabulous holiday weekend. And, as the late, great John Prine would sing, "I guess I wish you, All the Best."

Us UConn faithful wish you all the best as well.

Reaction Score
Dillon77 said:

They have some pretty good front court players coming in next spring, and they will be with Clark for three years. Should be three good years for Iowa and Bluder.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I believe Clark will play well against the better teams.

JordyG

Reaction Score

I know there are few if any ND fans here on the BY, but my issues were always against Muffet. I hold no such feelings against Niele and was probably one of the very, very few on this forum that wanted Clark to go to ND so that the rivalry would continue. Why she suddenly changed her mind we'll probably never know. However, you guys got who I consider the second best guard in the 2021 class in Olivia Miles, I don't care what the new Hoopgurlz says. I've watched the 2109 U16 in total 2 or 3 times and Miles was consistently head and shoulders the best player on the floor every game. Great catch for you guys...and Happy Holidays to you, yours and your ND faithful.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom