Caitlin tonight..you be the judge

Tonight Iowa plays Purdue on FS2 at 8:45..Last week I saw Caitlin play for the first time.I expected to see a gunner that threw up tons of shots and that's why she had such a high average.I was surprised that she wasn't that at all..although it was one of her worse shooting games 3/18 she had 18 points ..7 rebounds..and 14 assists! I admit I was rooting against her cuz I want Paige to win the freshmen of the year award but watching her I can't really see much difference between the two.She passes as well as Paige(6.9 to 6.1) and dribbles as well and rebounds better.I actually shook my head a couple of times because she was playing almost exactly like Paige plays.
Not to mention she doesn't have the teammates Paige has..Don't get me wrong I still like Paige better I guess I was kind of shocked how much she reminds me of Paige the way she plays.
Here is my view; Paige deserves the award. Caitlin is an incredible talent, and really not much different than Paige. The reason I vote for Paige is that she plays for UCONN and must respond to the pressure of that history. Iowa, by contrast, has no history to " live up to." ( no disrespect, but they have had "some success" but not a lot ). Caitlin will help make some history for Iowa but so will Paige for UCONN. UCONN is the number two team in the nation, per some, and Iowa is I don't know what. Being the best for the best is more difficult than being the best for an also ran. Talent for talent, Caitlin is nearly a twin for Paige. An extraordinary player. But Paige should be freshman the year, and Caitlin next.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Iowa’s style of play leads to many more possessions per game. The fact that Clark has more assists, and more turnovers, should be viewed in that context. If you were to compare the two per possession I’m pretty sure Bueckers would have the higher assists number.

Despite their offensive similarities there is more separation between the two in regards to defense.
Where are you seeing that Iowa has more possessions per game than UCONN?

I couldn't find this based on a quick Google search, but looking at possession based numbers I found:

Field Goal Attempts:
UCONN-63 per game
Iowa-62 per game

Free Throw Attempts:
UCONN-15 per game
Iowa-17 per game

Turnovers:
UCONN-14.5 per game
Iowa-14.7 per game

They're almost identical in all categories unless I'm missing one.

I wonder if Paige had stayed home to play for the bad Gophers team and Clark had come to Uconn, would we be having this kind of comparison in reverse.
Of course. But all that confirms is that the team on which you play matters.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker

I couldn't find this based on a quick Google search, but looking at possession based numbers I found:

Field Goal Attempts:
UCONN-63 per game
Iowa-62 per game

Free Throw Attempts:
UCONN-15 per game
Iowa-17 per game

Turnovers:
UCONN-14.5 per game
Iowa-14.7 per game

Thanks for catching that. I had calculated ppg earlier in the season when UConn’s FG% was about 54%, the best in the nation at the time, with 3 pt % also being significantly higher than now. They’ve tailed off since then to 51.4%, still second best, but Iowa has the best at 51.9%, plus better 3 pt%.

Bottom line, I was going with old news.

Iowa’s style of play leads to many more possessions per game. The fact that Clark has more assists, and more turnovers, should be viewed in that context. If you were to compare the two per possession I’m pretty sure Bueckers would have the higher assists number.

Despite their offensive similarities there is more separation between the two in regards to defense.
In the post game presser after the championship game Geno talks about his relationship and conversations with Paige. He said either the day before the game or during shoot around Paige told him she was the best defensive player in the country. Geoo just shook his head and smiled.

He also said that when she got pulled from the game she looked at the stat sheet and said Geno owed her two more minutes in the next game to get to her average minutes played per game.
Clark is an amazing player. Incredible talent. I'm less interested in how she performs against Purdue and very interested to see her game if the Hawkeyes match up against Maryland

Given Maryland's talent will get to see how "strong" the Iowa defense is and the way Clark and company play in trying to slow down that offensive juggernaut.

As to individual awards. Geno said on aforementioned presser there are awards that you vote on and awards that you don't. He's much more interested in the awards that don't involve voting . . . NC.

Last edited:
Or you can say it's amazing her #'s are what they are since she is the total focus of the defense and has no one to take the pressure off her
yes there's some truth to that but there's only so much an opposing team can do to stop a really good and determined three point shooter that knows they need to score big for their team to win ........ .....not trying to disparage Ms Clark........she's the second best freshman guard in the class and possibly in women's college basketball.....

:eek: Poor Caitlin? What about me? I don't know if I can take 4 more years of these types of threads. Luckily Hailey Van Lith threads have dried up. Look- Caitlin is a baller-as I have said many times my greatest fear was her winding up at ND. She was going to be a baller regardless of where she went to school and that includes UCONN. Caitlin chose to go to Iowa and she will continue to put up gaudy AA type numbers while she is there. If Iowa is playing I'll tune in to watch and I would recommend that others do so as well-which was the purpose of @browns starting this thread. Caitlin great for WCBB!
yes not sure what happened to HVL...........last few times I watched her she looked remarkably like a freshman............ ;)

yes there's some truth to that but there's only so much an opposing team can do to stop a really good and determined three point shooter that knows they need to score big for their team to win ........ .....not trying to disparage Ms Clark........she's the second best freshman guard in the class and possibly in women's college basketball.....
And that's a big help to her assist totals, double and triple teaming her.

Will enjoy watching her play. Wishing it wasn’t on so late. Got my second dose and I’m sleepy but not sleeping.
Hope that's all the symptoms that come your way. Now get ready to go out and play, 14 days to go. I hit mine today and went out to lunch. What a treat.

Clark will end up being one of the best players in Iowa WBB history. Good for her. I doubt very seriously that Iowa will contend for a NCCA or even Big 10 title in her time there. She knew what she was getting into when she chose to play there. Can't fault her for following her own path. She's a heck of a player and I like watching her play.

Field Goal Attempts:
UCONN-63 per game
Iowa-62 per game

Free Throw Attempts:
UCONN-15 per game
Iowa-17 per game

Turnovers:
UCONN-14.5 per game
Iowa-14.7 per game

All categories? How about won/loss?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
During the Big East Final broadcast on Monday night, they showed a graphic comparing Caitlin's and Paige's stats. I was surprised that Caitlin was slightly ahead in assists (6.6 per game vs. 6.2 as I recall).

Byington and Kustok had a good exchange when that graphic showed up.

I believe it was Byington who wondered how good each would be if their teams were switched. They talked about NPOY. Kustok's summation was that Paige gets the nod for NPOY. She said that Paige has had more of an impact on her team. The offense flows through her and she is the leader of the team living up to the high expectations that comes with one, if not the premier program in wcbb.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
During the Big East Final broadcast on Monday night, they showed a graphic comparing Caitlin's and Paige's stats. I was surprised that Caitlin was slightly ahead in assists (6.6 per game vs. 6.2 as I recall).
And way ahead of Paige in Turnovers per game 4.91 to Paige’s 2.58

SVCBeercats

Roberto "The Great One" Clemente
Quite a bit actually. Unfortunately not all the NPOY voters see things that way.
Well, I thought POY went to the best player on the best team. But, what do I know?
CocoHusky is right with "quite a bit." The POY was on the NCAA National Champion as follows: Naismith 16 of 38 times; AP 13-26; USBWA 15-33; Wade 14-38. Wade has had some interesting selections.
1615428594080.png

1615428634409.png

1 - 7 in first quarter 2 turnovers ...Purdue defense?

Edit 5 of 16 from field, 5 boards, 8 dimes 4 turnovers ...Purdue is 7 win team

Last edited:
Jeff Walz coached the FIBA team that included Paige, Van Lith, Boston, Hillmon, Egbo, Belibi, Horston, Joens and Caitlin Clark. He played Paige and Van Lith a lot. Paige won the MVP and Walz played Van Lith a lot bcuz he was recruiting her, eh? Clark didn't get many minutes in the games that I watched. So not much chance to compare Clark vs Paige in the FIBA games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Baylorfan

Top Bottom