Caitlin Clark: Not overrated, but overcovered | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Caitlin Clark: Not overrated, but overcovered

Reaction Score
Again, I want to emphasis that she’s a great player. But when I watched Iowa I focused on Caitlin on defense. I didn’t see a lot of effort and saw fewer results. Players consistently went by her. She makes up for it on the offensive end, but not a good defender.

A lot of that is due to limited energy and the need for her to take over the 4th period every game. Taurasi was criticized for her defense in 03 & 04.

Reaction Score
A lot of that is due to limited energy and the need for her to take over the 4th period every game. Taurasi was criticized for her defense in 03 & 04.

Understood, but Iowa is playing a lot of zone. It's not like she was being asked to chase a player around the court.

Reaction Score
Didn't know where to put this so picked this thread. Just saw Iowa has sold out all of their home games. No single game ticket sales are planned. That's pretty impressive!
Yes, very impressive. They should easily beat us out for #1 attendance for the first time in a lot of years.

Reaction Score
Caught this comment from Dan Patrick on the radio today, and I thought, "that is exactly dead on".

Being an Iowa fan we've loved the attention she's garnered, and absolutely deservedly so. But even I have felt it's become too much. She seems pretty unflappable with a microphone in front of her, but I wonder if could take its toll eventually. Really proud of her comments re: Angel and that whole thing; she knows it will go away quicker if she just lets it go.

SI article states what I've observed watching her for seven years now: https://www.si.com/college/2023/04/03/iowa-ncaa-final-loss-caitlin-clark-lifted
She isn't overrated or over covered. The sports needs transcendent players to grow the fan base.

Reaction Score
Simply put, Ionescu and Clark will be seen to have both launched women’s college basketball to a new level. Great personalities, on and off the court. I sense that Dallas’ Sabally will end up doing the same for the professional game.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Lol this video is just dumb. The creator is just searching for things to nitpick rather than looking at the overall picture. Someone could make a similarly biased video about the shortcomings of Dawn during the Freshies era by only winning 1 title. And I've never heard anyone claim Bluder is a top tier coach aside from her ability to develop posts and run a great offense.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
They don't want to admit they are bad on defense:D
Got it in one! ;)

Early in practices last year, Teri Moren stressed several times that she and her staff and players realized their weakness was defense, and they would be making a concerted effort on their defense. I thought it showed early in the season, but that they let it slide later.

On the other hand, they went to the championship game last year, so they did something right. I personally think it was just that their offense was even better and their defense was about the same as the previous year.

Reaction Score
Got it in one! ;)

Early in practices last year, Teri Moren stressed several times that she and her staff and players realized their weakness was defense, and they would be making a concerted effort on their defense. I thought it showed early in the season, but that they let it slide later.

On the other hand, they went to the championship game last year, so they did something right. I personally think it was just that their offense was even better and their defense was about the same as the previous year.
Are you referring to Lisa Bluder or Teri Moren? If you're referring to the national championship, it sounds like you have the coaches mixed up here.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Are you referring to Lisa Bluder or Teri Moren? If you're referring to the national championship, it sounds like you have the coaches mixed up here.
Oops! Brain fart. Lisa Bluder as you said. Indiana's defense has been good the past few years.

Reaction Score
Lol this video is just dumb. The creator is just searching for things to nitpick rather than looking at the overall picture. Someone could make a similarly biased video about the shortcomings of Dawn during the Freshies era by only winning 1 title. And I've never heard anyone claim Bluder is a top tier coach aside from her ability to develop posts and run a great offense.
Exactly! The creator of this video cherry picked a lot of information to fit their narrative. Had Iowa pulled off a miracle and won the National Championship, the narrative would have been "Caitlin Clark leads Iowa to the Title".

Lisa Bluder has a done a wonderful job at Iowa. Entering her 23rd year at Iowa, Lisa has managed to get Iowa into the post season 17 times. That is pretty impressive considering Iowa is not a hot bed for recruiting. Coach Bluder (and her coaching staff) does a great job of turning those 3 & 4 Star talented players into a well rounded & competitive unit.

The transfer & recruiting angle is always comical to me. The transfer side of things, players transfer for a host of reasons. In the case of Lauren Jensen, she saw that Iowa had a host of guards and her minutes were going to be limited and in that game of Iowa/Creighton, Creighton was just in that zone that day and tournament.

Recruiting side, I just know here in Minnesota, like any state, 1). You are going to miss out on a lot of home-grown talent. There are only so many slots for a player for the home team and players understand that and move on. 2). Not every player wants to stay in their hometown to play. Some do and some don't. It happens. Programs have a culture, style of play, players in mind that fit that style of play, and a overall philosophy of coaching that when recruiting, that is what they are going for. Not many programs are on the radar of these players. Heck, I think KK was on Iowa's radar but Iowa was not on KK's radar. It happens and you recruit players that seem to like your program. These programs know which players are interested. When a coach from "Skittles University" shows up and kids are giving that coach a stank face look, that coach ain't trying to draw that player. Now if that player shows interest and is excited to talk with that coach from "Skittles University" and what it has to offer, now that coach as an angle to work with.

Coach Bluder is a solid coach. Her players love her. The fans (most reasonable fans) appreciate her and all that she has done at Iowa.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Well, Caitlin Clark is now at the level where she's the Grand Marshall of the University of Iowa Homecoming Parade
and
Her exploits are being honored at halftime of Iowa Football games by the marching Band. "She," of course, scores.

Reaction Score
Well, Caitlin Clark is now at the level where she's the Grand Marshall of the University of Iowa Homecoming Parade
and
Her exploits are being honored at halftime of Iowa Football games by the marching Band. "She," of course, scores.

Wow, that's pretty crazy. I wonder how many of those kids enacting that even follow the women's basketball team.

If you attend a game at Kinnick, you'd better like the color yellow.;)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I haven't been a fan of Clark's on-court demeanor, but I've noticed a marked improvement this year, and I see from the article that she's been working hard on it. Good for her, good for Coach Bluder for hiring the performance consultant (would that have been a sports psychologist a decade or two ago?).

That said, the more I see of her off-court, the more I like her as a person. The post-final presser with her and Czinano was just gut-wrenching.
Have you ever said anything like this about a male player? Has anyone? as a women, I‘m mighty tired of hearing how women need to act to be likable.

Caitlyn, Sabrina, Stefanie, Angel - you do you and ignore the critics.

Reaction Score
Paige, Azzi and Caitlin are my top 3 woman college basketball players.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When you walk the walk, you can talk the talk, and act the act. Look at Coach Prime now, and back in the day when he was playing. He never had to deal with this scrutiny!

Reaction Score
Have you ever said anything like this about a male player? Has anyone? as a women, I‘m mighty tired of hearing how women need to act to be likable.

Caitlyn, Sabrina, Stefanie, Angel - you do you and ignore the critics.
Can’t speak for @Bigboote, but I have been critical of many exhibits of on court demeanor by males. Many! But I admit I’m from a generation that played when terms like “hotdog” and “ showboat” or “ whiner” were negatives. “Let your play speak for you” is antiquated, I guess.. So maybe we dinosaurs, like Bigboote and I, should shut up and ignore demeanor.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Can’t speak for @Bigboote, but I have been critical of many exhibits of on court demeanor by males. Many! But I admit I’m from a generation that played when terms like “hotdog” and “ showboat” or “ whiner” were negatives. “Let your play speak for you” is antiquated, I guess.. So maybe we dinosaurs, like Bigboote and I, should shut up and ignore demeanor.
You kids get off my lawn!

Reaction Score
I cannot stand to watch the NCAA MBB and/or the NBA!
It is more about the "ME" than the team on at least 80% of MBB!
John Wooden once said, "I don't watch men's basketball anymore because they don't play "basketball" anymore!"
"If I do watch basketball it's women's basketball because women play the game the way it was meant to be played!"

Reaction Score
and

Not the same thing but Victoria Vivians was the MSU homecoming queen back in 2017.

Reaction Score
When you walk the walk, you can talk the talk, and act the act. Look at Coach Prime now, and back in the day when he was playing. He never had to deal with this scrutiny!
Huh????? He was scrutinized all the time because of his persona, who he was hanging out with and marketing savvy. The only difference now is social media and the internet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom