Caitlin Clark: Not overrated, but overcovered | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Caitlin Clark: Not overrated, but overcovered

Reaction Score
Can’t speak for @Bigboote, but I have been critical of many exhibits of on court demeanor by males. Many! But I admit I’m from a generation that played when terms like “hotdog” and “ showboat” or “ whiner” were negatives. “Let your play speak for you” is antiquated, I guess.. So maybe we dinosaurs, like Bigboote and I, should shut up and ignore demeanor.

Yes and no. There are still players out there who are the "let your play speak for you" types. It's not a dinosaur mentality however we have to adjust to a different era of the game.

I sometimes have similar reactions like yourself when watching games. This isn't uncommon in sport however. Every sport has and will continue to go through these evolutions when the next generation gets involved and makes it theirs.

I think HuskyNan's comment also touches on an important point. The double standard where women are expected to "behave" a certain way continues to persist out there. It's unfortunate because all these players are doing is reacting and showing passion for what they do. It's 100% human nature and shouldn't be looked at differently based on unfair stereotypes.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Yes and no. There are still players out there who are the "let your play speak for you" types. It's not a dinosaur mentality however we have to adjust to a different era of the game.

I sometimes have similar reactions like yourself when watching games. This isn't uncommon in sport however. Every sport has and will continue to go through these evolutions when the next generation gets involved and makes it theirs.

I think HuskyNan's comment also touches on an important point. The double standard where women are expected to "behave" a certain way continues to persist out there. It's unfortunate because all these players are doing is reacting and showing passion for what they do. It's 100% human nature and shouldn't be looked at differently based on unfair stereotypes.
I was a wide receiver for a few years and one of my coaches complimented me after a catch for "acting like I've been there before." For whatever reason, that stuck with me. Not that I won't smile, sometimes pump a fist or say "yes" under my breath, but I also never want to show up another player...most of whom are guys I play with every week. In fact, I probably celebrate a teammate's good shot or play more than mine.

There are current players I recognize who keep an even keel: Sonia Citron of ND lets other Irish celebrate her great plays.
But I've got nothing against Olivia Miles pumping her fist or doing a few struts...she's celebrating the play, not mocking anyone.

For me, that's what it gets down to: celebrate an accomplishment, but not at the direct expense of the other opponent.
The game is supposed to both be fun and a contest. Find the line or zone.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Have you ever said anything like this about a male player? Has anyone?
Sure, this conversation happens all the time about male players. The language is usually a little more course, "he can play but he's an as_hole", but it definitely comes up. "Likability" is a big contributor to brand value in the modern world.

Reaction Score
Dillon77- - -Your quoting this statement "acting like you've been there before." brings me back to the 30+ years I coached Wrestling at East Lyme HS! I always told my wrestlers that as I and my staff believed you always carried yourself with class win or lose!
You don't give opponents or referees something to carry over to your next match!
My teams always were complimented for their behavior on and off the mat!
The greatest compliments I could get is when we stopped to eat at a nice restaurant after a match and when we left other patrons and the owner would come up to me and say what a well-behaved group we are!
I'd tell the kids on the bus they made me very proud to be their coach!

Reaction Score
Wow, that's pretty crazy. I wonder how many of those kids enacting that even follow the women's basketball team.

If you attend a game at Kinnick, you'd better like the color yellow.;)
Most of the Marching Band also plays in the Pep bands during the winters sports and have a great relationship with the Women's basketball team.

It was the "Be Bold Wear Gold Game" so that would explain the saturation of color.

Reaction Score
I guess turning 76 is effecting my mind as I meant to finish my above statement by saying that's why I like UCONN WBB so much as they've got class through and though!

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Caitlin Clark Wins Sullivan Award

This annual award, presented by The York Athletic Club, is drawn from both female and male athletes at the collegiate level.
Congrats are in order to all the finalists, Clark and the sport/university that she represents.

Reaction Score
Caitlin Clark Wins Sullivan Award

This annual award, presented by The York Athletic Club, is drawn from both female and male athletes at the collegiate level.
Congrats are in order to all the finalists, Clark and the sport/university that she represents.

Well said, Dillon77. This award is about as good as it gets for a collegiate/amateur athlete, gender blind, all sports included... congratulations to Caitlin and to Iowa. Well deserved!

Perhaps this time next year we'll be congratulating Paige for succeeding Caitlin as the Sullivan Award recipient?:cool:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Have you ever said anything like this about a male player? Has anyone? as a women, I‘m mighty tired of hearing how women need to act to be likable.

Caitlyn, Sabrina, Stefanie, Angel - you do you and ignore the critics.
Sorry, I missed this at the time -- I don't even watch men's sports any more for exactly that reason. Can't stand the antics.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Sorry, I missed this at the time -- I don't even watch men's sports any more for exactly that reason. Can't stand the antics.
If you aren’t watching the UConn men you’re missing some great basketball. Hurley doesn’t coach showoffs, his player play defense and pass the ball beautifully. Try one game and see decide for yourself

Reaction Score
Chris Dailey would have nixed them about the second week of practice.
Really? To me CC is the perfect player to have on your team. She is unselfish, she is a great passer, a great clutch player and one of the most entertaining players to ever play the game. I think Geno and CC would have loved her just like they do Nika.

Reaction Score
Have you ever said anything like this about a male player? Has anyone? as a women, I‘m mighty tired of hearing how women need to act to be likable.

Caitlyn, Sabrina, Stefanie, Angel - you do you and ignore the critics.
People say it about male players all the time.

It's a pretty normal dynamic. Controversy over a flamboyant and somewhat disrespectful player. Very old story.

Reaction Score
People say it about male players all the time.

It's a pretty normal dynamic. Controversy over a flamboyant and somewhat disrespectful player. Very old story.

Because it generates attention for the media. Why else do we see Aaron Rodgers quotes, updates on what Travis Kelce is or isn't doing, anything on Bronny James, etc.?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom