Caitlin Clark: Not overrated, but overcovered | The Boneyard

Caitlin Clark: Not overrated, but overcovered

Reaction Score
Caught this comment from Dan Patrick on the radio today, and I thought, "that is exactly dead on".

Being an Iowa fan we've loved the attention she's garnered, and absolutely deservedly so. But even I have felt it's become too much. She seems pretty unflappable with a microphone in front of her, but I wonder if could take its toll eventually. Really proud of her comments re: Angel and that whole thing; she knows it will go away quicker if she just lets it go.

SI article states what I've observed watching her for seven years now: https://www.si.com/college/2023/04/03/iowa-ncaa-final-loss-caitlin-clark-lifted

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Caught this comment from Dan Patrick on the radio today, and I thought, "that is exactly dead on".

Being an Iowa fan we've loved the attention she's garnered, and absolutely deservedly so. But even I have felt it's become too much. She seems pretty unflappable with a microphone in front of her, but I wonder if could take its toll eventually. Really proud of her comments re: Angel and that whole thing; she knows it will go away quicker if she just lets it go.

SI article states what I've observed watching her for seven years now: https://www.si.com/college/2023/04/03/iowa-ncaa-final-loss-caitlin-clark-lifted
It'll die down in the coming months. Clark's handled it like a true pro, she'll be fine. She's mentioned in interviews that she's mostly stayed off social media the last few days.

Matthew1589

Iowa Hawkeye Grad and Fan
Reaction Score
Caitlin does handle all the attention really well, better than others who don't handle her attention well. With what she's done on the court and for WBB in general she's earned it. Quite possibly will end up being one of the best ever to play the sport, time will tell.

Reaction Score
In the small world of WBB that is always looking for an audience, the media who cover the sport tend to overhype a player they see who may attract the current nonviewing audience. Bueckers received a lot of coverage for her sensational freshman year. I've been a fan long enough to see Lobo, Holdsclaw, Taurasi, Parker, Griner, Stewie, Ionescu, Paige, and now Clark be the "face" of the college game.

I'd say all have helped in their own way to increase the number of viewers but not to the degree many hoped. The sports world outside of the WBB community knows who Clark is now and she is the current woman of the moment. It will last until she leave Iowa, even if they aren't as successful next year.

Reaction Score

Wonderful article if you're a Caitlin Clark fan, and a learning experience for those who either aren't fans or want to know more about her. Thanks, Bjbod.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I haven't been a fan of Clark's on-court demeanor, but I've noticed a marked improvement this year, and I see from the article that she's been working hard on it. Good for her, good for Coach Bluder for hiring the performance consultant (would that have been a sports psychologist a decade or two ago?).

That said, the more I see of her off-court, the more I like her as a person. The post-final presser with her and Czinano was just gut-wrenching.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
How is then that Nika still carries on as she does? CD picks her spots, and apparently has felt Nika should be allowed to do some play-acting on the court.
So did Katie Lou when she was shooting threes. I think by "mannerism's" it was meant the demeaning hand gestures like the "you can't see me" sort of thing.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised to see any and all mannerisms nixed next year.
Why do you think that? Isn't it part of the charm during home games? Both Clark and the fans seem to feed off of it.

Reaction Score
Why do you think that? Isn't it part of the charm during home games? Both Clark and the fans seem to feed off of it.
I don't think shows of exuberance and acknowledging the crowd will stop. I was referring more to trash talking via hand signals. I think Bluder would prefer that she let her game speak for itself. I don't think she (Bluder) cares if CC talks trash to the opponents...kinda like refs that will tolerate criticism as long as you don't make a show of it.

Reaction Score
I don't think shows of exuberance and acknowledging the crowd will stop. I was referring more to trash talking via hand signals. I think Bluder would prefer that she let her game speak for itself. I don't think she (Bluder) cares if CC talks trash to the opponents...kinda like refs that will tolerate criticism as long as you don't make a show of it.
Gotcha.

Reaction Score
One of the commentators after the SC game reported something one of the Iowa people had said (definitely second hand), that Bluder had told Caitlin to stop flopping after drives. Apparently she said something g to to the effect of, it takes too much of a toll on you physically and the refs don’t buy it often enough to make it worthwhile. And I think we saw less of that from her this year. Maybe it’ll be even less next year.

Reaction Score
One of the commentators after the SC game reported something one of the Iowa people had said (definitely second hand), that Bluder had told Caitlin to stop flopping after drives. Apparently she said something g to to the effect of, it takes too much of a toll on you physically and the refs don’t buy it often enough to make it worthwhile. And I think we saw less of that from her this year. Maybe it’ll be even less next year.

Not to mention it makes it tougher to get back into plays defensively. I sometimes wonder where's the benefit especially when it potentially gives an opponent an advantage heading in the opposite direction.

Reaction Score

Caitlin is such a joy to watch on/off the court. Besides her awesome basketball skills, the other thing that really impresses me, is how she can read a room; knows how to see a situation developing and knows how to handle those situations. Many people don't have that skillset. Caitlin has that skill.

Reaction Score
This video is well done if anyone wants background on CC:
Pretty awesome. I know that it is great seeing players like Caitlin, Paige, Azzi, Caroline, and a host of other young ladies elevate the women's game. It is nice going to these travel games and AAU games each week and seeing the "CC" mannerisms at some of these games. Or a player in the 4th grade know who Paige is or Azzi is. Or seeing a UConn hoodie on the court warming and I ask that player "Who is your favorite player and what do you know about UConn?" And when that 4th or 5th grade player (female) mentions Maya Moore or Breanna Stewart and some of the UConn history, it warms my heart. It shows that these kids are looking at games and studying these players.

Huge shoutout to Caitlin Clarke and all of the young ladies who are helping to grow the game of women's basketball. Those of us that have been around the women's game for a decades can see the growth of the game and it is a joy to watch. Gone are the days where you had a tournament with eight or ten teams. Each team had one talented player. Now those teams will have two or three talented players.

Reaction Score
Not to mention it makes it tougher to get back into plays defensively. I sometimes wonder where's the benefit especially when it potentially gives an opponent an advantage heading in the opposite direction.

Getting back on defense is not a priority for Catlin. As great as she is, she is a below average player on defense.

Reaction Score
Getting back on defense is not a priority for Catlin. As great as she is, she is a below average player on defense.
IMO, not true, Jonathan... true perhaps two years ago, maybe even a bit last season, but not in '22-23. After watching many of Iowa's games this season, I was impressed at how hard Caitlin worked on D.

Reaction Score
IMO, not true, Jonathan... true perhaps two years ago, maybe even a bit last season, but not in '22-23. After watching many of Iowa's games this season, I was impressed at how hard Caitlin worked on D.

Again, I want to emphasis that she’s a great player. But when I watched Iowa I focused on Caitlin on defense. I didn’t see a lot of effort and saw fewer results. Players consistently went by her. She makes up for it on the offensive end, but not a good defender.

Reaction Score
Again, I want to emphasis that she’s a great player. But when I watched Iowa I focused on Caitlin on defense. I didn’t see a lot of effort and saw fewer results. Players consistently went by her. She makes up for it on the offensive end, but not a good defender.
In your opinion, Jonathan, right? We disagree, which is fine.

Reaction Score
If I had to bet money, I'd say she's being coached to back off on D. I doubt Coach Bluder would specifically admit it, but subtle comments over the course of her time here suggest that. They absolutely need her on the floor, so foul trouble is a big no-no. Additionally, when you're getting hounded and beat on by multiple defenders all game long it wears you down.

Interesting to speculate just how good she could be defensively. Pretty sure better than what she shows...never as good as her offensive game of course.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom