Budget Passed by State Legislature Potentially Devastating to UConn | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Budget Passed by State Legislature Potentially Devastating to UConn

Reaction Score
If UConn is going to make the transition to the next level, it needs to be less reliant of state funding. The state's finances are going to get worse before they get better. This should be the wake up call for growing the endowment substantially. Alumni need to step up. If you haven't given before, then start now. If you already give, up it.

I agree with you, and I think it has been a wake up call.

But in the short term these cuts need to be fought against.

It's also really disgusting that the legislature is playing this game of chicken with the flagship university of this state.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I am so glad I don't live there anymore. I have no doubt that UConn could cut a few things and not be harmed. $300M seems excessive. But the reality is, there need to be cuts. Find others if you don't like these, and don't whine about it.

Mass has had a balanced budget amendment for some time now, and while I think they waste money like crazy, it's not nearly as bad as CT is now.

Reaction Score
Yeah I mean I'm good friends with the state rep from the town I grew up in - i'm out of state now, obviously; but he had some pretty salient points regarding the cuts.

-The reason UConn was first thing on the chopping block is because, well - they're not a state agency. They share almost nothing in common with a state agency. They're not under anywhere near as strict regulation for purchasing and contract negotiations. They have a foundation. They can fundraise. There are federal research grants they can apply for. There are even state research grants they can apply for. They have way more flexibility in terms of their internal and external expenditures and how and why they choose the sources of revenue that they do. If anyone was going to take a deep cut - it was going to be UConn from the start. Because they have ways to make it hurt less.

Someone else pointed it out in this thread - it needs to get out of the state funding mentality and ask more of alumni and figure out ways to grow their endowment, which lags. They've become a dependent - and at the very least no matter where you fall on the issue, UConn hasn't helped their cause in this regard. To be honest, after hearing him out (there were other points) - I get it. Completely, actually.

-The budget actually cut/relaxed almost all the contract/purchasing regulation for UConn. I mean imagine anyone did that at a state agency. People would be apoplectic and understandably so. So they've got - literally - unprecedented freedom in terms of what they can do with purchasing, existing contracts and the like. It's not going to 100% solve their funding problem - but it'll certainly take a significant bite out of it - something that can't be done at state agencies.

-The state aid UConn gets is jointly dispersed to UConn and UConn health. The degree to which one gets hit harder isn't defined, exactly and i didn't pursue it, but the idea that Uconn is taking a $200 million hit just isn't true - or at least the university/educational wing of it.

-The budget actually has *$1 BILLION* in state aid to UConn and UConn Health center over the next two years. That's a $200.1 million reduction to the *anticipated* state aid they would have receive WITHOUT being touched by budget cuts. That's a cut of about 17%. So it's projected 'revenue' from the state, not actual budgeted funds, so it's not entirely honest to call them *budget cuts* even though they are certainly a *funding* cut.

-To say the state hasn't stepped up is farcical. They've done more than their fair share to put UConn in a great spot and are STILL spending *$1 billion* on the university this year. They can't give what they have in the past, but they're still pretty clearly making it a priority.

-They're also overstating their reductions by a lot and Herbst has already pivoted on this a few times. They've been using their FY 2017 original budget as the base - rather than what they actually received in 2017. It's really not fair to NOT compare the actual dollars taxpayers invested last year.

-And political hackery/hatchet is sprinkled on top, too. A lot of legislators on both sides of the aisle, particularly in the western part of the state - were nuclear behind closed doors that UConn blamed low enrollment as a means to not cover an $80,000 budget shortfall at UConn Torrington and close it in 2016. During negotiations this year, they asked for - in an earmark - for $1 million to be appropriated so they could remodel the campus next year. One that doesn't even have their students on it. That's just an atrocious look for the school.

So I dunno. I hate these cuts but I just don't know where they're gonna rip the cash from other than this. Like I loathe this - but they're at where they're at.

Reaction Score
I'd be shocked if the football programs wasn't directly in the crosshairs.

Most football programs aren't profitable. Most have a sustainable donor base, but at certain institutions - it's considered direct competition to academic and other alumni fundraising. The way the legislature sees it - that's a place you can cut and summarily boost revenue elsewhere. Obviously not that cut and dry and not necessarily true - but what it does do is prove the point that there's opportunity at UConn to make tough decisions that could potentially take the edge off.

The schools' in a pickle. A big one.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I don’t get it.

That’s a tweet from February.

In which he was yay rah rah wave the pom poms for UConn sports. Suddenly, with a billion dollar deficit, he thinks the FB program being cut helps, somehow?

I think Herbst is playing alarmist, but when you see what some of these reps say on Twitter, the argument that they haven't done any homework kinda bears fruit.

Reaction Score
Threaten to tax ESPN unless they force the ACC to invite us..

In all seriousness though, it's mind numbing to read how painfully obvious it is that these state reps clearly have no idea how high ed works or understand the value that a high profile Flagship University brings to the state.

As I've stated before in this thread, if the state is to have any sort of economic comeback, UConn will be at center of it. For the state to willfully damage that asset is beyond stupid.

It's chopping off the hand to feed the mouth.

Reaction Score
Threaten to tax ESPN unless they force the ACC to invite us..

In all seriousness though, it's mind numbing to read how painfully obvious it is that these state reps clearly have no idea how high ed works or understand the value that a high profile Flagship University brings to the state.

As I've stated before in this thread, if the state is to have any sort of economic comeback, UConn will be at center of it. For the state to willfully damage that asset is beyond stupid.

It's chopping off the hand to feed the mouth.

What tax increases does UConn support to keep their funding? What programs do they propose be cut across our state? Where's the money coming from?

Reaction Score
What tax increases does UConn support to keep their funding? What programs do they propose be cut across our state? Where's the money coming from?

I think UConn agrees to what they were originally planning for; a 100-150 mil. cut while working with the state to increase federal funding and continuing rapidly increasing alumni donations.

No one is arguing for an increase in funding, just a less draconian cut.

We all agree that the University needs to wean itself off of state funding,

However, there are better and smarter ways to go about it than what is currently being proposed.

Reaction Score
People always make fun of CT as "the state you have to drive through to get to New York or Boston"

Maybe it's time to start making them pay for the privilege?

Reaction Score
I think UConn agrees to what they were originally planning for; a 100-150 mil. cut while working with the state to increase federal funding and continuing rapidly increasing alumni donations.

No one is arguing for an increase in funding, just a less draconian cut.

We all agree that the University needs to wean itself off of state funding,

However, there are better and smarter ways to go about it than what is currently being proposed.

OK but again - where is that $50 million coming from, exactly? Which department takes it in the teeth? Transportation? Labor? High School and Elementary school districts? Go raid the hillbillies in the NW corner of the state again? What's the smarter way, exactly?

I mean the legislature cut 17% of their funding, but they took any and all handcuffs off the University as far as their purchasing and contract negotiating flexibility is concerned. Which is unprecedented. And the sole reason they did that was because they knew UConn could probably take a ton of the sting off the cuts themselves. Literally no other agency or benefactor in the state has that ability on any level whatsoever - and frankly, shouldn't.

Again- totally not trying to be smarmy - because I don't know what the answer is either - but there's just no way to responsibly add anything off without UConn funding getting melted. I'm no budget wonk, but seeing what's going where and why - and while there's some places you could move money around - I can't see any reason for UConn to not be exactly in the spot they're in. I hate saying that, but this budget is just brutal.

Reaction Score
Tom Breen‏ @TJBreen 10m 10 minutes ago
Tom Breen Retweeted Connecticut Mirror

lol

>>Senate Republican Leader Len Fasano ramped up his criticism of University of Connecticut President Susan Herbst Monday – saying she should resign if cuts in the Republican budget would lead her to close the Avery Point campus.<<

Tom Breen‏ @TJBreen 5m 5 minutes ago
Replying to @TJBreen
"We're cutting your budget by $309M." "OK, we'll have to close things and end programs." "No!! Take away $309M of bad stuff we don't like!!"

Reaction Score
I’m sure the state reps are also not happy seeing all these people being hired in the sports department without big increases from sports revenue.

Reaction Score
Why does UCONN pay top 50 pubic school salaries when it is a low cost of living area that does not compare to UCLA, Cal, etc?

Reaction Score
Are you at all familiar with the northeast?
I think he is referring to housing costs. The housing costs in the CT suburbs of Hartford and New Haven are very cheap relative to places like Boston and San Francisco.

Bottom line is that Connecticut stopped growing after the full income tax kicked in to support surging government spending. It still bogles my mind that I pay lower income tax living in Massachusetts than I would if I lived in Connecticut.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom