Budget Passed by State Legislature Potentially Devastating to UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Budget Passed by State Legislature Potentially Devastating to UConn

Reaction Score
I
BUT, Connecticut is in the bottom 20% nationally when it comes to funding a school like UConn.

So, in this case, it seems like high spending elsewhere is being taken out on a school which already receives much less than most schools nationally.

You can't blame UConn for high spending/subsidy when its in the bottom quintile nationally.
I wasn't clear - I was trying to say that the state is guilty of the insane spending, not so much UCONN. But, I'm more sympathetic to every town in the state having to cope with insane tax increases b/c the state squandered its resources. I just don't see a university as being as important as what these towns are going through.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The state of Connecticut needs an outside audit of their books in each department to see where the waste is because we all know there is a ton of waste

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Nationally we are defunding higher education. Blame the liberals.
I call BS on the defunding when we are paying more per student in Connecticut than any other surrounding state. My hometown is paying $20,000 per student.
They make up for it by the tuition they charge in-state and out of state students.

Reaction Score
I call BS on the defunding when we are paying more per student in Connecticut than any other surrounding state. My hometown is paying $20,000 per student.
They make up for it by the tuition they charge in-state and out of state students.

What do you mean "my hometown?" How do you differentiate your hometown from any other hometown in Conn.?

Are you talking about your local schools?

I wrote "Higher Education."

Connecticut is in the bottom quintile for funding Higher Ed.

Reaction Score
Just to give you an example, the national average for state funding per full time enrollee in state universities in 1991 was $8,616. In 2015, that average expenditure had dropped to $6,895. Real dollars, not inflation adjusted. (These stats come from the State Higher Ed. Executive Officers Assoc. latest report).

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
It is good to know that in the business world there is no waste or duplication.

I worked in local government practically my whole life. Those folks were harder to get a nickel from than you would imagine. Still half the Town thought municipal workers were ripping them off. Not saying out state doesn't have problems, it does. But it is human nature to resent paying taxes.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
It is good to know that in the business world there is no waste or duplication.

I worked in local government practically my whole life. Those folks were harder to get a nickel from than you would imagine. Still half the Town thought municipal workers were ripping them off. Not saying out state doesn't have problems, it does. But it is human nature to resent paying taxes.
The corruption/waste is minimal in local government compared to the state or federal level.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
The corruption/waste is minimal in local government compared to the state or federal level.

True. The bigger, the harder to avoid waste. Isn't that true in business too?

Reaction Score
True. The bigger, the harder to avoid waste. Isn't that true in business too?

In a world full of automation, we've had to create these endlessly proliferating BS tasks which take over and create BS jobs. And yes, there is a lot of paper pushing in corporations as well. The only thing lean in the US is maybe small business, but even there you have your share of flakes!

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
In govt., systems are created to "ensure" compliance. They evolve to become more and more onerous without realizing that they ensure nothing. If you would like about what you recoding, you will lie in the ever growing paper work.
I agree. Smaller is better. Except smaller has a hard time meeting all the compliance regulations. That should be made easier for them.

Reaction Score
Every large organization is likely to have loads of fat in their budget. Unfortunately the people managing the organization rarely see it. To give you an example, I worked for a large company in Connecticut some time ago. I was the controller for the manufacturing division employing about 2,300. We were not successful financially and I was asked to put together a budget that would improve the situation. After much effort I was able to identify 17 people who could be let go. I also put together a list of the risks we would face if we laid them off. I presented my plan to the company and a new person who had just been hired from the outside reviewed my plan and recommended that we lay off 1,100 employees. I thought he was crazy. Later, he became my boss and laid off 1,100 employees and the whole operation became more efficient. I learned so much from this man. He also told me that the head of the operation should never stay at that position for more than five years. If he does, he becomes part of the problem.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If this thread is any indication, further cutting education funding might lead to reverse evolution.

We need more money in higher education, not less.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Herbst press conference at 4pm, can be viewed here:

Reaction Score

Tom Breen‏ @TJBreen
One thing is clear from this article: the legislators quoted don't actually know very much about the university

Tom Breen‏ @TJBreen
One thing is clear from this article: the legislators quoted don't actually know very much about the university

Tom Breen‏ @TJBreen
Another says she doesn't know how much $$ goes to academics. Well it's a totally huge secret that we print on glossy, full color paper:
111.jpg

Reaction Score
This would be the end of UConn's academic ascent. And worse, the signal is out there already with entities like the AAU. The state is no longer committed.

$300m in 2 years is unfathomable. A $20m cut at my school, which has much more in research support, would send administrators running through the halls with their hair on fire. Very little is fungible here, maybe only 20% of the budget. The proposed cuts at UConn are likely larger than the fungible part of the budget! Devastating.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, it is simple math. The state spent itself into oblivion.

Connecticut has over-promised benefits to public employees and teachers and has not adequately prepared for those benefits - even this disaster of a budget kicks the really dark days down the road. They just do not have money for the future of the state because they are so far behind in paying for the past

They’re now out of runway - I do not see how UConn gets out of this unscathed, unfortunately.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I know it doesn't work this way and the money probably comes from different places, but man I'd rather have the $150m they're going to spend on the XL Center renovation given to UConn instead

Reaction Score

If accurate - They have a little more wiggle room but not $200m wiggle room.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know it doesn't work this way and the money probably comes from different places, but man I'd rather have the $150m they're going to spend on the XL Center renovation given to UConn instead

Of course. UConn is important for the future of the state.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, it is simple math. The state spent itself into oblivion.

Connecticut has over-promised benefits to public employees and teachers and has not adequately prepared for those benefits - even this disaster of a budget kicks the really dark days down the road. They just do not have money for the future of the state because they are so far behind in paying for the past

They’re now out of runway - I do not see how UConn gets out of this unscathed, unfortunately.

I don't think UConn was expecting to be unscathed.

There is a difference between being scathed and being stabbed in the back.

If the state is going to make any sort of economic comeback, UConn will be at the center of it. Destroying one of the few remaining assets the state has benefits no one and actively hurts many.

Reaction Score
If UConn is going to make the transition to the next level, it needs to be less reliant of state funding. The state's finances are going to get worse before they get better. This should be the wake up call for growing the endowment substantially. Alumni need to step up. If you haven't given before, then start now. If you already give, up it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom