Broccoli recipes | The Boneyard

Broccoli recipes

Reaction Score
Hi, any good broccoli recipes out there? All I ever do is steam it and maybe add a little salt & butter, and this gets boring. How else can I cook it and make it tasty?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
There are hundreds of cheesy broccoli recipes, but that's more like a cheese casserole with broccoli and not very healthy, which I gather is the main reason to eat broccoli.

Most times we sheet pan roast it with some drizzled olive oil, kosher salt, black pepper, lemon and garlic maybe a little grated parm. We like it better than steaming, and even the kids like it.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Quick stir fry in oil. Then finish with an Asian sauce

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
mostly 4 millennials smile GIF by Adult Swim

Reaction Score
Hi, any good broccoli recipes out there? All I ever do is steam it and maybe add a little salt & butter, and this gets boring. How else can I cook it and make it tasty?
Nothing gourmet about it, but to add to what you already do, once on the plate, add some balsamic glaze. I use Colavita brand which you can order online or maybe at a store, but there are all types of Balsamic Glazes.

Low sugar, low calories, high in taste. I put balsamic glaze on oatmeal, chicken, turkey, omelets, grilled veggies, just about on anything. Restaurants use it as an ingredient.

Here is something else which is low effort which I have not yet tried , but I think it should work out if you cut broccoli florets real small. You can add them to Imagine Organic Butternut Squash Soup and slow cook the soup on medium. The florets should soften even if you put them in raw (I think).

Reaction Score
Have you tried oven-roasting your vegetables?? You can google a recipe but basically cut into florets, toss with olive oil, garlic, seasonings and roast at 425 for about 20-25 minutes. Top with shredded parmesan cheese, if you like. Delish.
Big fan of oven roasting. I also add some red pepper flakes.

Also, try air frying them. Brussels Sprouts are amazing in the air fryer, but broccoli is solid also.

Of course, since the OP asked about different preparation, a broccoli soup is great and heading towards the right season.

Finally, I'm a big fan of a slaw with shaved broccoli over cabbage. I like a cabbage slaw, but broccoli is a nice change. Maybe more for summer, but putting it out there.

Reaction Score
Nothing gourmet about it, but to add to what you already do, once on the plate, add some balsamic glaze. I use Colavita brand which you can order online or maybe at a store, but there are all types of Balsamic Glazes.

Low sugar, low calories, high in taste. I put balsamic glaze on oatmeal, chicken, turkey, omelets, grilled veggies, just about on anything. Restaurants use it as an ingredient.

Here is something else which is low effort which I have not yet tried , but I think it should work out if you cut broccoli florets real small. You can add them to Imagine Organic Butternut Squash Soup and slow cook the soup on medium. The florets should soften even if you put them in raw (I think).
I have never tried this. Sounds great!

Reaction Score
I’ll also endorse the oven. I never liked broccoli growing up (still don’t like many veggies outside of broccoli and spinach), but it has been a revelation. Cut them up into florets to start. Then rub them with some olive oil, lay them out on a pan, and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and some garlic powder. One of my go-to’s for sure. I’ll usually cook them for 15-20 minutes at 400.

Reaction Score
You can partially steam the broccoli while in a 10-12" frying pan add olive oil (more is good), lot's of garlic, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Add the part boiled broccoli and sauté with oil and garlic mixture. Boil any short style pasta. Drain water, reserve a cup of that starchy water, add pasta to broccoli, garlic and oil and toss...more olive oil is good here, if you see the pasta and broccoli mixture getting "dry" add some of that reserved pasta water until you get a nice sauce. Plate it and top with parmesan cheese. Note: get the real Parmigiano Reggiano chunk and grate it yourself on top of that pasta...you and your guests will be glad you did. If you do try and like it, try it with different shape pastas.

1633008340875.png

Reaction Score
You can partially steam the broccoli while in a 10-12" frying pan add olive oil (more is good), lot's of garlic, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Add the part boiled broccoli and sauté with oil and garlic mixture. Boil any short style pasta. Drain water, reserve a cup of that starchy water, add pasta to broccoli, garlic and oil and toss...more olive oil is good here, if you see the pasta and broccoli mixture getting "dry" add some of that reserved pasta water until you get a nice sauce. Plate it and top with parmesan cheese. Note: get the real Parmigiano Reggiano chunk and grate it yourself on top of that pasta...you and your guests will be glad you did. If you do try and like it, try it with different shape pastas.

View attachment 70015
Thanks for sharing this recipe - it is my favorite dish at a restaurant in Saratoga. We tried to replicate it, and failed. I'll try this version!

Reaction Score
Have you tried oven-roasting your vegetables?? You can google a recipe but basically cut into florets, toss with olive oil, garlic, seasonings and roast at 425 for about 20-25 minutes. Top with shredded parmesan cheese, if you like. Delish.
+1. Any vegetable tastes great roasted. The only advice I'd add to this post is that I prefer it once it just about starts to char.

Reaction Score
That's how we prepare it. 20-25 minutes is too long though. 13-15 minutes at 450 is perfect. Way better than steamed.

Reaction Score
Just get some chicken broth and heavy cream and make cream of broccoli soup. That seems to be the only way to make broccoli really tasty.

Reaction Score
if you have leftover steamed broccoli, you can sauté it really quickly in the pan with a little olive oil, a clove of crushed garlic, and salt/pepper. only takes maybe 30 seconds to a minute to heat it through (whereas broccoli normally takes an eternity in the pan) and it makes a really good side. you can also just microwave the broccoli in water for a couple minutes beforehand instead of properly steaming it.

i always have leftover steamed broccoli and/or greens to do this with. also love having it around for a broccoli-cheddar omelet.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
i huck every manner of organic thing out into the woods when it's no longer viable. at no time, ever, in the years of doing this have i ever seen any creature, all the way down the food chain chain to the beetles, and other creepy crawlers, touch it. ever. weird.
i really like fresh uncooked broccoli, alone, or as part of something else.
once in a while, and especially if someone else will be eating as well, i put it in the oven, with a bit of salt and oil, and cover it with some meltable cheese. people seem to really like the burnt cheese part that melts into little puddles on the pan.
iffn ur cooked broccoli, when held at the stalk end, flops over like a soft pizza slice, ur doing it wrong. that's not broccoli, that's mush.
u listening mom?

Puparoni

Woof!
Reaction Score
Thanks for sharing this recipe - it is my favorite dish at a restaurant in Saratoga. We tried to replicate it, and failed. I'll try this version!
Which restaurant in Saratogoa? Always looking for suggestions.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom