Bradley to make decision on scholarship today | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Bradley to make decision on scholarship today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
i'm un-aware, is UL sanctioned?
What does it matter whether you're sanctioned or not? UL was full on schollys and had some people pay their own way in order to make room. It's the exact same situation. I appreciate your efforts to take a dig at UConn, but try harder next time.

Reaction Score
i'm un-aware, is UL sanctioned?

What do the sanctions have to do with anything? The sanctions don't say anything about moving players off scholarships to make way for others. It's something that happens in CBB, grow up.

Reaction Score
Bradley could be saving about $30k here.
That's IF they keep him on scholarship until he gets his degree. I certainly hope UConn rewards him for his sacrifice and keeps him on scholarship going forward even as the numbers remain tight.

Reaction Score
what do sanctions have to do with making room?

what difference does it make if you have 13 spots and need a 14th? or 10 spots and need an 11th?

seriously?

do you have your own rule proposals?
it makes a huge difference, i'm not sure how you can't answer your own question. more is better. all the time. more flexibility, more options.

Reaction Score
He's just intentionally misunderstanding the question.

Reaction Score
My I suggest that we do not feed the trolls on the new board?

It is a old rule but a good one.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Let's see if we can work this out:

1. Cuse was docked 2 scholarships last year, so it can't be sanctions themselves that are the issue.

2. Louisville rearranged players on and off scholarship to get more guys in the fold just this summer, in fact. He didn't have a problem with UL's moves, so that isn't the issue either.

It's clearly when you have sanctions AND try to move scholarships around. That's the big no no. Makes sense to me.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
it makes a huge difference, i'm not sure how you can't answer your own question. more is better. all the time. more flexibility, more options.

you do know such argument doesn't make sense. All you need is enough scholarships, then you have enough options

if you're suggesting a rule change, take it up with the NCAA

Reaction Score
Hmm, maybe someone should have paid a little more attention to how a few guys performed in the classroom, huh? The Louisville situation is a bit different in that they made their scholarship moves during the summer. As numerous people have pointed out, we're trying to make ours not only after the July 1 renewal date but 24 hours before the start of the semester. I think it is great that this kid is coming, but it is a mess that could have been avoided had people paid more attention to things in the past. Tell me again why we're asking Bradley to give up a scholarship that he is entitled to rather than asking Drummond to apply for Finacial aid for a year? Look at it from his point of view...he gets a chance to play in front of his friends and family, gets a chance to play for a hall of fame head coach, for the defending national champion, can you even imagine the impact if he, a local kid leads UCONN to yet another title? They may just make him king of the state. Plus he gets to play for a coach who has a history of putting guys in the NBA, getting them drafted very high, has produced several national players of the year and several NBA big men. Assuming he gets a partial grant, that isn't worth say an $18,000 investment?

Reaction Score
Since Drummond was a recruited player, he has to count toward a scholarship in his first year.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
As I said in another thread, I think UConn crossed a line when Bradley had to go outside the university for financial aid. I think it will bite us in the butt, because no matter how it happens it will look like an illegal extraordinary benefit (or whatever the term is) for the athlete. Bradley kind of loses, and UConn risks a hard pounding from the NCAA.

I think it is time to tell Drummond we don't have a spot for him. I am sure Georgetown or WVU will be happy to find a spot for him.

Reaction Score
Nelson...sorry disagree...no rules are being broken...since Bradley is in pharmacy program (6 years), he's gonna get the same $$$ covered by UCONN

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
As I said in another thread, I think UConn crossed a line when Bradley had to go outside the university for financial aid. I think it will bite us in the butt, because no matter how it happens it will look like an illegal extraordinary benefit (or whatever the term is) for the athlete. Bradley kind of loses, and UConn risks a hard pounding from the NCAA.

I think it is time to tell Drummond we don't have a spot for him. I am sure Georgetown or WVU will be happy to find a spot for him.

I'd rather get pissed on, rather than watch Drummond go to Gtown or WVU. I'll take the line from the great Al Davis "Just Win Baby" ...... Who cares what others think, the only thing that matters is banner #4.

How do you call yourself a Husky fan?.....smh

Reaction Score
Nelson...sorry disagree...no rules are being broken...since Bradley is in pharmacy program (6 years), he's gonna get the same $$$ covered by UCONN
Not sure how that would work. If he's paying his own way, he's paying his own way. And any finacial aid package he gets needs to be legitimate. You can't give him a $20,000 "need based" scholarship if he would only normally quaify for $5000. Otherwise you'd clearly run afoul of NCAA rules. You can't give ask someone to give up his scholarship then replace it with a need based one for which he isn't qualified. And I don't think you can "guarentee" a player a future scholarship when his career is over in exchange for giving up the current one. That just seems like it must be illegal somehow.

Reaction Score
Of course you do not know how it will work- we do not even know who is going to be effected at this point. This kind of stuff happens every year at many schools- the only difference here is his committed late- he is a top three player and he tweeted before the details were worked out.

What they wind up doing will not be illegal- it will be above the board as much as it is ever is when schools ask players to leave/give up their ship for a player that better fits their needs.

For all we know NG (who I like a lot and want to stay) might be going to Europe to play for $$$ he had several offers- wait and see- with the new Pres and the microscope we are under we are going to "get away" with nothing.

DOOOOOMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Yeah - not sure why people are talking as if things have been finalized. How about we hold off on passing judgement until a decision has been made huh?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'd rather get pissed on, rather than watch Drummond go to Gtown or WVU. I'll take the line from the great Al Davis "Just Win Baby" ...... Who cares what others think, the only thing that matters is banner #4.

How do you call yourself a Husky fan?.....smh
this i agree with. no matter how you slice it, it's a better problem to have than if Drummond went elsewhere. do i think the staff should have been more on top of the academics? of course. do i wish Nate Miles never existed? sure. but they did, we are playing the price, and have to make the best of a bad situation. figuring out how to get Drummond on the court is part of that.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Go watch division three basketball if this kind of thing bothers you. As a UConn fan I want Andre Drummond playing for UConn this season.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Go watch division three basketball if this kind of thing bothers you. As a UConn fan I want Andre Drummond playing for UConn this season.
+1

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Hmm, maybe someone should have paid a little more attention to how a few guys performed in the classroom, huh? The Louisville situation is a bit different in that they made their scholarship moves during the summer. As numerous people have pointed out, we're trying to make ours not only after the July 1 renewal date but 24 hours before the start of the semester. I think it is great that this kid is coming, but it is a mess that could have been avoided had people paid more attention to things in the past. Tell me again why we're asking Bradley to give up a scholarship that he is entitled to rather than asking Drummond to apply for Finacial aid for a year? Look at it from his point of view...he gets a chance to play in front of his friends and family, gets a chance to play for a hall of fame head coach, for the defending national champion, can you even imagine the impact if he, a local kid leads UCONN to yet another title? They may just make him king of the state. Plus he gets to play for a coach who has a history of putting guys in the NBA, getting them drafted very high, has produced several national players of the year and several NBA big men. Assuming he gets a partial grant, that isn't worth say an $18,000 investment?

The origination of this problem is the result of three things. A lack of institutional control, a lack of AD control and a lack of control within men's basketball. The problems have been going on a long time. The difficulty that has developed surrounding Andre is the result of his decision to reclassify early. A lot of the problems are being addressed, but not enough time has taken place to allow the solutions to become effective before Andre declared. The University is attempting to accomplish something most Division 1 major athletic schools would attempt to solve. I would sincerely doubt that Hogan and Hathaway would have attempted to lift a finger towards this problem. IMO Hathaway would have tried to undermine it. I'm not one who wants Andre at any cost. But I'm going to move on from past faults in condemning current attempts.

If there is no legal solution that would meet NCAA standards, President Herbst is not going to attempt to put the University in a situation that will cause it future problems. I'm convinced of that. So all this rancor, and condescension regarding this process is agenda based imo and does not appear substantive.

Reaction Score
The origination of this problem is the result of three things. A lack of institutional control, a lack of AD control and a lack of control within men's basketball. The problems have been going on a long time. The difficulty that has developed surrounding Andre is the result of his decision to reclassify early. A lot of the problems are being addressed, but not enough time has taken place to allow the solutions to become effective before Andre declared. The University is attempting to accomplish something most Division 1 major athletic schools would attempt to solve. I would sincerely doubt that Hogan and Hathaway would have attempted to lift a finger towards this problem. IMO Hathaway would have tried to undermine it. I'm not one who wants Andre at any cost. But I'm going to move on from past faults in condemning current attempts.

If there is no legal solution that would meet NCAA standards, President Herbst is not going to attempt to put the University in a situation that will cause it future problems. I'm convinced of that. So all this rancor, and condescension regarding this process is agenda based imo and does not appear substantive.

I don't understand this theory which keeps getting repeated here and in the CT press. Hathaway signed off on Calhoun kicking Robinson off the team in order to give his scholarship to Miles (whom Hathaway was wary of for other reasons), so I don't see why you think he would have approached this differently. In fact, this is optically better since you're not sending Bradley to go work in a sheet metal factory run by one of your former players. I think this idea that Hathaway was scrupulous in a way that impeded Calhoun is just made up.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I don't understand this theory which keeps getting repeated here and in the CT press. Hathaway signed off on Calhoun kicking Robinson off the team in order to give his scholarship to Miles (whom Hathaway was wary of for other reasons), so I don't see why you think he would have approached this differently. In fact, this is optically better since you're not sending Bradley to go work in a sheet metal factory run by one of your former players. I think this idea that Hathaway was scrupulous in a way that impeded Calhoun is just made up.
First I ever heard SR was kicked off the team to relinquish a scholarship for Miles. When did I miss the boat on this. The SR things was JC taking action to get a kid motivated and turn his life around. I don't know how this thing is playing out. But Hathaway was less likely to take the necessary steps to try to get Drummond than Pendergast in many peoples opinions. The tension between JH and JC was not about etiquette rules. They hated each other for reasons we can only guess. But the statement JH made to the NCAA regarding Miles tells me JH's hatred for JC was personal. And personal hatred causes people to do negative things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom