Bradley to make decision on scholarship today | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bradley to make decision on scholarship today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
YAWN.

We should compile a list of all the schools who made room or shuffled players around in the last two years- not because it makes it right but because it would be a long list.

We are once again in the spotlight not because we are NCs- but because we snagged the #1 player on everyone's wish list. Heck OSU would prob take AD if he wanted to go there and they have the best center in the country already. Lville (who I like) had 3 players (?) pay their own way so they could have the crazy depth they will bring to the BE this year. No national news there- no hate (except from the looney Uk fans). The list could go on and on.

Let them call us dirty for sending to many text messages and having some that did not work for us go off the reservation in regards to Nate Miles. We are paying the price for that minor infraction. Let them call us dirty because a hometown kid who grew up a UCONN fan, went to our games and played pick up games with our guys chose us instead of them. Who cares.

Once again this just shows that we can do nothing right in the eyes of the talking heads. IF Dook had won 5 games in 5 days then 6 more in a row to win the NC- they would still be talking about it as the greatest feat in college basketball history. Haters are going to hate- I hope we have the chance to get used to it- it means we are winning.

Someone better then me at research should post that list (if there is one around) that shows how many players did not graduate from schools or transferred for more PT ect..

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
YAWN.

We should compile a list of all the schools who made room or shuffled players around in the last two years- not because it makes it right but because it would be a long list.

We are once again in the spotlight not because we are NCs- but because we snagged the #1 player on everyone's wish list. Heck OSU would prob take AD if he wanted to go there and they have the best center in the country already. Lville (who I like) had 3 players (?) pay their own way so they could have the crazy depth they will bring to the BE this year. No national news there- no hate (except from the looney Uk fans). The list could go on and on.

Let them call us dirty for sending to many text messages and having some that did not work for us go off the reservation in regards to Nate Miles. We are paying the price for that minor infraction. Let them call us dirty because a hometown kid who grew up a UCONN fan, went to our games and played pick up games with our guys chose us instead of them. Who cares.

Once again this just shows that we can do nothing right in the eyes of the talking heads. IF Dook had won 5 games in 5 days then 6 more in a row to win the NC- they would still be talking about it as the greatest feat in college basketball history. Haters are going to hate- I hope we have the chance to get used to it- it means we are winning.

Someone better then me at research should post that list (if there is one around) that shows how many players did not graduate from schools or transferred for more PT ect..
Your posts have improved! Must be the new name!

Reaction Score
There is no counter offer. Either take the financial aid package, or play somewhere else. It's sucks he is in that position (even though in the long run it could prove more beneficial if he does get the 6 year pharm degree), but every school in the country would put Bradley in that position if they had to.

Actually that is not correct. Once June came and went, his scholarship was guaranteed for this year. He has the option to stay and receive a full scholarship this year under NCAA rules. Of course if he doesn't play ball, his scholarship may be yanked next year.

Reaction Score
And why exactly can't it be revoked? Scholarships are merit based, what argument does he have that he earned it with his performance?

Scholarships are merit-based. HOWEVER once they are renewed in June they are non-cancellable for a year. UConn has the option to revoke his scholarship next year - but not this year. NCAA bylaws.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Try and be objective and look at it from the student athletes perspective. We won't have access to any of the financial aid details or anything else that went on behind the scenes. Keep in mind that the request is to relinquish his scholarship to a player who he would be competing with for playing time. Do you think Michael Bradley spent his free time thinking how much better AD is then him while working out this summer in the weight room while AD pondered his basketball options? The purpose of my post was simply to express the fact that MB had contractual rights to an athletic scholarship bestowed upon him July of this year. UCONN is in a tenuous position with the APR so to claim MB has no leverage can be perceived to be counter intuitive. The scholarship could have been revoked before July 2011. It was renewed because UCONN believed/believes that MB has the potential to be a contributing factor this upcoming season. Calhoun made that decision. Now 1 day before classes MB will make the decision to relinquish the scholarship. Technically teams violate the NCAA rules ad nauseam to different degrees. It doesn't equate to a violation until you get caught. You could consider it a slippery slope per se.

If Bradley is one of the Top 1% most intelligent college basketball players in that he realizes the NBA is not in his future, then this is a great deal for him. Having paid my own way through grad school, I can tell you it is freaking expensive. If grad school only costs 2x the cost of undergrad, I would be surprised.

Reaction Score
well....no new info from espn insider

Status of UConn's schollie situation

1:00PM ET

Connecticut Huskies

We wrote over the weekend about Andre Drummond's commitment. The plan was for the big to join UConn's 2011 recruiting class, and be eligible for the 2011-12 season. However, one small problem arose: the Huskies did not have an available scholarship. The initial plan called upon Michael Bradley, who redshirted last season, to drop his scholarship and apply for financial aid -- however, according to Jeff Goodman at CBSSports.com, there hasn't been a final decision.
So what happens if Bradley does not give up his scholarship? Will Drummond not actually play for the Huskies? Don Amore of the Hartford Courant examined the situation and reports there are a handful of contingency plans. The other option involves either Niels Giffey or Enosch Wolf returning to Germany. One would assume, based on minutes played last season (as well as the development of the aforementioned players), that Giffey would stay in Storrs, but it's no doubt that this option would be an interesting development.
We will keep our eye on this situation, and will provide any updates.

Reaction Score
Things that have crossed my mind since the proposed MB scholarship to AD proposed solution:
  1. If MB says no and there is no other alternative is there any possibility the program simply can not add AD? (Vision of Lucy pulling the ball as Charlie Brown tries to kick it comes to mind. Boy would this turn out to be hugely disappointing if AD doesn't end up here and plays elsewhere.)
  2. Is it too late for UConn to dictate that one of the 10 will not receive their Athletic Scholarship? (For the record I hope this doesn't take place!)
  3. If MB gives up his ship might we be losing one of our best students who is currently helping our APR score? (I'm guessing that as long as AD leaves in good academic standing, it will be a wash.)
  4. Assuming MB's 2011/12 APR score no longer is calculated in the team's 2011/12 APR, is there any negative impact by this? (Assuming he finished 2010/11 in good academic standing my guess is there would be no adverse impact. The program would get credit for his 2010/11 progress and would be considered off the books for 2011/12. Now I have no idea how they calculate the score when they only have 10 players to count. Do they simply calculate a full score for the 3 that are left vacant? This whole APR thing seems more confusing than my Tax Return.)
We all, or at least most of us, assume it's a done deal but is it? I wonder if we need to curb our enthusiasm until he actually shows up on campus and clears through the NCAA Clearinghouse or whatever hurdles that need to be cleared for him to be part of the 2011/12 team.

Reaction Score
DM, I dont see any reason to be afraid that AD wont come. I only say that because of the fact that JC & co. had been workong on this for at least a week or two prior to Drummond committing.

Reaction Score
Its a difficult and stressful situation for all involved. This is why the triumvirate gets paid the BIG bucks. Big donors are expecting results and AD to be suiting up this fall. This is what big money wants to see. Big money in this case is not always the most rabid UCONN fans as we are witnessing on this truly amazing message board! It is the older bald guy with clients in the lower section that some of us look down on and wish we had his seats. The donor just bought his points working as a hedge fund manager while shorting your favorite stock into oblivion costing the average guy looking down from above thousands of dollars. Trust me this is who the triumvirate caters to. Keep things in perspective.

Reaction Score
You're basing it on Borzello? Given Calhoun's previous record carrying players such as Mandeldove who elected to stay at UConn, do you think he gave Bradley that ultimatum? If so, it will have been the first time we heard of that happening at UConn. Let's see if Borzello actually knows what he's talking about.
Good ponts but that was when JC had 3 more scholarships. I have no idea who Borzello is.The internet has launched hundreds of new "experts."

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Its a difficult and stressful situation for all involved. This is why the triumvirate gets paid the BIG bucks. Big donors are expecting results and AD to be suiting up this fall. This is what big money wants to see. Big money in this case is not always the most rabid UCONN fans as we are witnessing on this truly amazing message board! It is the older bald guy with clients in the lower section that some of us look down on and wish we had his seats. The donor just bought his points working as a hedge fund manager while shorting your favorite stock into oblivion costing the average guy looking down from above thousands of dollars. Trust me this is who the triumvirate caters to. Keep things in perspective.

and what makes you think those guys are not here?

Reaction Score
Well lets put it this way...MB and the UCONN triumvirate should take the fifth as soon as this all plays out. As far as MB's future he will always be regarded highly for taking one for the team. After all I sincerely believe a person like MB considers his teammates his family. Lets not forget that. College basketball is big business and it is my hope MB has representation. Ultimately relinquishing the scholarship is the prudent business decision for all parties involved. Now lets win another National championship!!!!!! I can't stand Kentucky. :)
talk about paying for your friends

Reaction Score
I'm okay with saying this is what it takes to be a winning program, but you guys arguing that Bradley is getting a plum deal here...you can't possibly be serious with that, right?

We aren't NCAA investigators on this board. No need to lie here.

Reaction Score
The NESN article says its a done deal, called it an "uncomfortable moment". I just don't know what top 50 team wouldn't do the same thing if they had no other way.
the vast majority of top 50 programs don't have similar scholarship restrictions, so it is difficult to draw valid comparisons

Reaction Score
the vast majority of top 50 programs don't have similar scholarship restrictions, so it is difficult to draw valid comparisons
Nice dig but the situation isn't the scholarship restriction but the full allotment of scholarships when the #1 player in the nation comes knocking.

Remember the time not so long ago when Syracuse also had restrictions in scholarships. What if a player like Carmelo came knocking? Understand now?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I'm okay with saying this is what it takes to be a winning program, but you guys arguing that Bradley is getting a plum deal here...you can't possibly be serious with that, right?

Bradley could be saving about $30k here.

Reaction Score

You have to look at the totality of the circumstances and apply a balancing test. Look beyond the short term sacrifice and look at the big picture of life. Do you foresee MB 10 years from now regretting this decision? If UConn basketball is a family which I believe it is then this decision ultimately will be a WIN-WIN for all involved. MB has leverage in this implied "negotiation" which gives his decision value. MB can relinquish the scholly and be revered for this historic unselfish decision. In the big "scheme" of things 1 yrs tuition is nominal. This is how real life works. MB reps have to understand the value of good will from not just an athletic perspective. My point is look at both sides of the issue (have the ability to wear 2 hats). The media is biased and mostly incompetent. MB still has 4 years of eligibility. AD will be gone after 1 year 2 at the most while MB competes against him for PT on his dime. Its like investing in your future by practicing against the best and knowing you have the good will card in your back pocket to use at any time$$$$$.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

If Drummond wanted to go to SU, Boeheim would be shoving the last kid off the bench in a country minute (assuming full ships). And every Syracuse fan in the country would rejoice.

We'll take Drummond and you can have your grapes.

Reaction Score

Yeah you'd have to look as far back as ... UL this summer.

Reaction Score
If Drummond wanted to go to SU, Boeheim would be shoving the last kid off the bench in a country minute (assuming full ships). And every Syracuse fan in the country would rejoice.

We'll take Drummond and you can have your grapes.
it's possible but it's never happened, not in the way that this has happened anyway. either way i think it will be a fun year, i think cuse is a little more experienced and deeper, yukon has more upside. it will be fun to watch.

Reaction Score
it's possible but it's never happened, not in the way that this has happened anyway. either way i think it will be a fun year, i think cuse is a little more experienced and deeper, yukon has more upside. it will be fun to watch.

Cuse deeper? You must be kidding. UConn will go 8-9 deep with 6 of those players having played meaningful minutes in a National Championship run. Depth is one of UConn's real strengths this year, minutes will be hard to come by, even for some very good players.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
what do sanctions have to do with making room?

what difference does it make if you have 13 spots and need a 14th? or 10 spots and need an 11th?

seriously?

do you have your own rule proposals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member