Bracketology update 2/21 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bracketology update 2/21

Reaction Score
Oregon State is a fun team, I would love to see them on UConn's side of the bracket.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Oregon State is a fun team, I would love to see them on UConn's side of the bracket.

Oregon St. probably saw all they wanted to of UConn last year and would prefer one of the other Pac 12 teams get sent east.

Reaction Score
I can't understand why Oregon St. would be a #2 seed. Makes no sense at all.

Being in 1st Place in the strongest conference in the country isn't good enough?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
One of the seeding rules is that 2 teams from the same conference can't be in the top 4 of a region (unless there are 5 or more teams in the top 16). His bracket has Oregon St at #2 & UCLA at #4 in OKC.
Could probably swap Kentucky & UCLA, though that makes UConn's bracket tougher as the Bruins would likely be the top 4 seed and the Cats would be the weakest 4.
Is that the rule? I thought it was no two teams from the same conference could be on the same side of a regional unless there were more than eight teams from the conference - that two conference teams could not be seeded such that they would meet before the regional final - a 2 seed and a 4 seed would only meet in a regional final.

Reaction Score
Is that the rule? I thought it was no two teams from the same conference could be on the same side of a regional unless there were more than eight teams from the conference - that two conference teams could not be seeded such that they would meet before the regional final - a 2 seed and a 4 seed would only meet in a regional final.

There is that rule as well.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

From the championship manual:
  • Each of the first four teams selected from a conference shall be placed in different regions if they are seeded on the first four lines.
  •  Teams from the same conference shall not meet prior to the regional final if they played each other three or more times during the regular season and conference tournament.
  •  The committee will attempt to keep conference teams from meeting until the regional final round.
  •  If the committee is unable to balance the bracket after exhausting all possible options, it has the flexibility to permit two teams from the same conference to meet each other after the first round.

Reaction Score
So Tulane moves up from the outside to a 9 seed just by playing UCONN tough? I guess if Temple wins tonight, they probably move up to a 2 seed :rolleyes: :cool:

Given how concentrated the top teams are in the power conferences , the lesser conference auto bids tend to fill seeds 11-16. That means the bottom at large schools are a 10 seed. So breaking in at a 9 seed is not that unusual. It's like moving from being ranked 42 to 35.

That said, I'm still skeptical of Tulane making it. They will probably face UConn again the AAC tourney and would need to avoid a blowout.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Given how concentrated the top teams are in the power conferences , the lesser conference auto bids tend to fill seeds 11-16. That means the bottom at large schools are a 10 seed. So breaking in at a 9 seed is not that unusual. It's like moving from being ranked 42 to 35.

That said, I'm still skeptical of Tulane making it. They will probably face UConn again the AAC tourney and would need to avoid a blowout.

I'm not convinced on Tulane either, but the bubble is extremely soft this year. Those last 6-7 spots in the field are very precarious. Teams in that range keep dropping games to lesser teams.

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
Being in 1st Place in the strongest conference in the country isn't good enough?

Define "strongest". It may be the most competitive top to bottom, but the games I've seen the top of the PAC 10 aren't even top 10. I've seen Oregon St. a few times and I've been totally unimpressed. As I said earlier we'll see when NCAA time rolls around.

Reaction Score
Define "strongest".

SAGARIN
upload_2017-2-22_19-41-19.png

MASSEY

upload_2017-2-22_19-38-35.png

Plebe

Reaction Score
Tulane lost to UCF to fall to 6th in the conference.
Wnit

Sad face for Tulane. The conference standings are especially unkind to Tulane because both UCF and Cincinnati (now in 4th and 5th) only play UConn, Temple, and USF once each — and both teams still have their Temple game upcoming — while Tulane has had to play the top 3 twice each.

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score

These ratings present an overall view of the conference, but what they don't accurately show is the strength of the teams at the top. For example, PAC 10 teams are 5-8 against current OOC top 25 teams. No PAC 10 team has played more than 2 OOC top 25 teams and astonishingly, Oregon St. has played none. The PAC 10 is a very well balanced conference top to bottom, I just haven't seen a realistic final four contender.

Reaction Score
These ratings present an overall view of the conference, but what they don't accurately show is the strength of the teams at the top. For example, PAC 10 teams are 5-8 against current OOC top 25 teams. No PAC 10 team has played more than 2 OOC top 25 teams and astonishingly, Oregon St. has played none. The PAC 10 is a very well balanced conference top to bottom, I just haven't seen a realistic final four contender.

So an OOC top 25 win has merit, but an in conference top 25 win does not. Got it.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score

It's been the Pac 12 since 2011, not Pac 10. Unlike a couple conferences w/ Big in the name the number of member schools actually matches the conference moniker.

Reaction Score
I can't understand why Oregon St. would be a #2 seed. Makes no sense at all.
They continue to win. I'm an OSU fan, and I can't believe it myself? They are a much better defensive team this year, and better rebounding team. However, they turn the ball over way to much, and have a very poor team free throw percentage. Lastly, Sydney Wiese is the only dependable late game scoring threat (unlike last year). This will be their undoing in NCAA Tournament, if they cannot overcome these 3 weaknesses.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
They continue to win. I'm an OSU fan, and I can't believe it myself? They are a much better defensive team this year, and better rebounding team. However, they turn the ball over way to much, and have a very poor team free throw percentage. Lastly, Sydney Wiese is the only dependable late game scoring threat (unlike last year). This will be their undoing in NCAA Tournament, if they cannot overcome these 3 weaknesses.

I'm an OSU fan too. In spite of having pretty much the same record as last year, it's very apparent they miss Weisner and her ability to manufacture points. She was so fun to watch, she was my favorite player last year. McWilliams, Pivec, Tudor and Kalmer have all had their moments, but totally inconsistent. Throughout much of the year Gulic has basically replaced Hamblin's production, but she's been quiet lately. The Brown/Orum combo has been good. Those 2 have been waiting their turn for 2-3 years and really stepped up this season.

What is up w/ the turnovers? They had a stretch of 3 games in a row w/ 20 or more TO's. Amazingly they still won 2 of those games. But for a team that struggles to score at times, they cannot afford to waste that many possessions.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom