Bourbon & Rye | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Bourbon & Rye

Reaction Score
Yeah the straight rye. It's nothing special. But better than HW Double Rye and better than Bulleit. I've purchased my last bottle of Bulleit bourbon or rye. It's a mixer.

@Fishy The Malted Rye? I've never seen it in a store. Kentucky Straight 100% Malted Rye Whiskey - New Riff The Backsetter looks good too.

Didnt care much for that one either. Try the double oaked, the CS or if you can find it the sherry. All three are really good to me. My fav is still a private pick that T8ke did and MAN its good. Liquid red hots.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Didnt care much for that one either. Try the double oaked, the CS or if you can find it the sherry. All three are really good to me. My fav is still a private pick that T8ke did and MAN its good. Liquid red hots.
Which? The Sagamore? It’s $35 so I’m just expecting Sazerac with more proof. I won’t buy another but it’s not terrible. Double Rye was not good. I need to grab the Russels SiB Ryes while they still exist.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That Foursquare is a banger. I have this one myself, it tastes a lot like whiskey.

It’s a favorite. I have a bottle of the Sagacity that I like, but I prefer the hotter Exceptional Casks.

Reaction Score
Which? The Sagamore? It’s $35 so I’m just expecting Sazerac with more proof. I won’t buy another but it’s not terrible. Double Rye was not good. I need to grab the Russels SiB Ryes while they still exist.

This stuff tastes nothing like Saz to my palate. Saz is very floral to me, these are more of the Maryland style ( obviously ). The Double Oaked is like Woodford DO or OF 1910, secondary fresh barrel.

Reaction Score
It’s a favorite. I have a bottle of the Sagacity that I like, but I prefer the hotter Exceptional Casks.

We just got in their Touchstone version. I grabbed one and headed to buy it but they are far too proud of it for my taste.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We just got in their Touchstone version. I grabbed one and headed to buy it but they are far too proud of it for my taste.

I’m always wary when companies come out with a high-dollar version of something they seem to already make.

2008-2010 at $85? I’m in. North of that? Nah.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So do I. Had Richard Seale sign this one for me.
IMG_1474.jpeg

Reaction Score
I’m always wary when companies come out with a high-dollar version of something they seem to already make.

2008-2010 at $85? I’m in. North of that? Nah.

Bingo. It comes off as a total cash grab. Is it really good? I'm sure it is, they have a stellar reputation. Not $180 good.

Which brings me to my most recent taster - Bardstown Finished in Fousquare barrels. Highly strange stuff, I would avoid at $160+ if I were any of you. Luckily I got a sample and was out nothing. I would be pretty mad had I actually purchased it.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Why isn’t it open?
I have a bunch of Privateers open and some Real McCoys (also Foursquare) that I needed to get through.

Reaction Score
Got E.H. Taylor single barrel, Penelope architect #1 and jefferson's reserve very old in a store pack for $199, was told I did well.

First time trying E.H. Taylor, kind of expecting to be let down though (hard not to given the hype).

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It’s pretty good, but you accidentally spilled a little on your ice cube.

Touche'.

I did try a bit neat for the first few sips. One of the websites I was reading said serving it with a single large cube gives a pour a nice slow melt and gives off some different tastes compared to neat.

Either way I enjoyed it.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Touche'.

I did try a bit neat for the first few sips. One of the websites I was reading said serving it with a single large cube gives a pour a nice slow melt and gives off some different tastes compared to neat.

Either way I enjoyed it.
Try a few drops (only drops) of ice water in the center of the whisky in a rocks glass

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Try a few drops (only drops) of ice water in the center of the whisky in a rocks glass

Whiskey and bourbon I'll do straight more often. This was a rum and I was just going off what I read.

Until yesterday I hadn't ventured in to sipping rums.

We then ventured in to tjis tewuila to sip. Had it neat and chilled. Tbis was also good.

Cava de Oro.

20230527_191443.jpg

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
For the record with a good whiskey my belief is the only way to drink it is neat.

There are quite few people who if they're drinking whiskey, without a mixer, drink it on the rocks. I personally don't get this as all it does is water down the whiskey. If what they are trying to do is release complex flavors, a few drops of ice water will do the trick. Some experts claim this is the correct way to get the most out of the whiskey, I've tried it but didn't really see a whole lot of difference so I do it the way I prefer.

I was merely offering a suggestion to avoid watering the drink down too much.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Whiskey and bourbon I'll do straight more often. This was a rum and I was just going off what I read.

We then ventured in to tjis tewuila to sip. Had it neat and chilled. Tbis was also good.

Cava de Oro.

View attachment 88548
My approach is the same regardless of spirit, if it’s past 50% I’ll try it neat and add tiny bits of water if it feels like it needs it. 50% and under, no water. I don’t buy any of that “opening it up” or “releasing flavors” crap. All it does is cut the ethanol so you can taste or smell things better.

Rum is fascinating. Suggest the book “And a Bottle of Rum” which is informative and a fun read.

Reaction Score
My approach is the same regardless of spirit, if it’s past 50% I’ll try it neat and add tiny bits of water if it feels like it needs it. 50% and under, no water. I don’t buy any of that “opening it up” or “releasing flavors” crap. All it does is cut the ethanol so you can taste or smell things better.

Rum is fascinating. Suggest the book “And a Bottle of Rum” which is informative and a fun read.

It breaks up the oils. If you watch the spirit as you drop the water you can actually see it happening.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score

Cava de Oro.

View attachment 88548
I have a bottle of that and the clear version (extra anejo). I'm a big fan of the extra anejo now. The clear version ( I think it was from ether NH or Stews) is not as tasty. Definitely loses something inthe filtering process.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom