Bouknight Sent Down! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Bouknight Sent Down!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
At UConn he would get a lot more support off the court. Pro teams treat their players like adults. It’s a business. There’s a great deal more hand holding and guidance in college. We even brought in that guy from OSU after his freshman incident.
They have to mature much faster. That is not necessarily a negative.

Reaction Score
Can you source the Hurley quote that this years team is much much closer than last years? I may have missed this, but don’t recall it at all.
This is the only quote that I've seen that alludes to that.

“The whole theme with the team has been, we should hit the ground running,” Hurley said. “Everyone is a year better, a year more mature as a player, and we expected to hit the ground running,” Hurley said. “We’ve got a lot of guys that, not withstanding the way the last 45:07 went, they believe in themselves and they’re a lot closer. This group is a lot closer and they understand how that chemistry’s got to be.”

Reaction Score
Chief has been through the NCAA related suspensions for Coach Calhoun and Bouknight that season followed by various Calhoun health issues. Add in Alex O not adjusting to his new role. For all the above reasons, the team did not have the usual Calhoun trajectory. To lump all this onto a freshman, who decided on UConn a week before school, is more than a little unfair.

You’re lumping “cause” and “fault” together. The unbelievable lack of chemistry and cohesiveness in 11-12 was not Drummonds fault. He came in as he was — an incredibly talented but raw big. But did his presence “cause” the lack of chemistry and cohesiveness? Yes, it did. Two championship team starters — AO and Roscoe — quickly became dissatisfied with their roles and it went downhill from there.

Were there other factors that year as well? Yes, including ones you listed. Was it Drummonds fault? Heck no. He wasn’t responsible for JC being unable to sell overone their new rules. But, you will never convince me we wouldn’t have been better that season had Drummond not enrolled that fall.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
And a world class bench to sit on.

Ok? Assuming he develops at least the same in the NBA, do you think he'd rather play for free than make the money he's making this year?

At UConn he would get a lot more support off the court. Pro teams treat their players like adults. It’s a business. There’s a great deal more hand holding and guidance in college. We even brought in that guy from OSU after his freshman incident.

I don't agree that he would get more support off the court. He is still a valuable asset for the Hornets, even if he's not getting a ton of burn right now. I guarantee you that they have a plan to develop him.

Reaction Score
You’re lumping “cause” and “fault” together. The unbelievable lack of chemistry and cohesiveness in 11-12 was not Drummonds fault. He came in as he was — an incredibly talented but raw big. But did his presence “cause” the lack of chemistry and cohesiveness? Yes, it did. Two championship team starters — AO and Roscoe — quickly became dissatisfied with their roles and it went downhill from there.

Were there other factors that year as well? Yes, including ones you listed. Was it Drummonds fault? Heck no. He wasn’t responsible for JC being unable to sell overone their new rules. But, you will never convince me we wouldn’t have been better that season had Drummond not enrolled that fall.
Sorry my typo - meant to say suspensions of Calhoun and Boatright (not Bouknight).
I think Calhoun missing numerous games due to suspension and illness did prevent him from having enough opportunities to do the type of things you suggest. Would he have been successful? We will never know, but he was successful doing stuff like that other years. No doubt, this team and 2006 were perhaps Calhoun’s most underachieving teams. In 2006 the issue was we were short a ball handler due to AJ Price’s laptop situation and/or health issue as I recall.

Reaction Score
They have to mature much faster. That is not necessarily a negative.
True, The League success story is maturing faster. The League blow-up, is not solving a foundational issue and having it blow up and effect everything. This can be high stakes risk. Another year in college is more methodical. How many of us truly grow up overnight? A process rather than a turn the switch attempt sometimes works better.

Reaction Score
Bouknight finished with 30 points, 7 rebounds, and 3 assists. Led all scorers. Hornets other lottery pick, Kai Jones, was impressive as well. Swarm attempted to comeback from down 20 and fell short. CV had 13 points for the winning team.

Reaction Score
33 pts. Excellent showing, how is he not getting minutes on the hornets…
Ah yeah, missed the last 3 thanks!

Hornets need to play him. It’s in the best interest of the team long term and I really think he can help them in the short term. The bench was awful at times on the most recent road trip.

Reaction Score
Sorry my typo - meant to say suspensions of Calhoun and Boatright (not Bouknight).
I think Calhoun missing numerous games due to suspension and illness did prevent him from having enough opportunities to do the type of things you suggest. Would he have been successful? We will never know, but he was successful doing stuff like that other years. No doubt, this team and 2006 were perhaps Calhoun’s most underachieving teams. In 2006 the issue was we were short a ball handler due to AJ Price’s laptop situation and/or health issue as I recall.

You can’t compare ‘06 and ‘12. In ‘06 we played great all year and earned a 1 seed. We just happened to lose in the tourney earlier than we hoped. In ‘12, we had a team with three players who had multi-year NBA careers (Drummond plus Shabazz plus Lamb) plus Boat, Daniels, Griffey, AO and Roscoe and we didn’t beat a single ranked team all year.

Reaction Score
“But he deserves to be sent down!” What a joke he made a lot of you look like after a stat line like this. He belongs to be playing in the NBA whether it’s with the Hornets or someone else. That much is clear.

Caught the second half. Looked good on offense but defensively it was a very mixed bag. He’d have some plays where he was engaged, in good position and pressuring the passing lanes and then to my eye, quite a few more where he looked a bit lost, head spinning, and found himself out of position and giving up an easy bucket. Hoping that gets cleaned up with more PT because I’m guessing that’s a big factor why he didn’t see many minutes with the Hornets.

Reaction Score
You can’t compare ‘06 and ‘12. In ‘06 we played great all year and earned a 1 seed. We just happened to lose in the tourney earlier than we hoped. In ‘12, we had a team with three players who had multi-year NBA careers (Drummond plus Shabazz plus Lamb) plus Boat, Daniels, Griffey, AO and Roscoe and we didn’t beat a single ranked team all year.
I understand but in those days we had very lofty goals. We ended the season the same way, being bounced early from the tournament.

I think you are undervaluing the impact of Jim’s serious health problems, his NCAA related suspension, Bouknight’s suspension and the NCAA cloud for the future, that was a distraction and contributed to a post season exodus. Andre was NOT a cause or “effect” for any of that.
Did it impact his development as a freshmen - sure it did. I believe Jim was out again with his serious health issues late in the year but made a more symbolic than material return for the tournament. He was not in good health. While George and Jim had many similar philosophies, their styles were more than a little different for players to adjust to when Jim was in and out of the coaching line-up so much.
How did Andre’s presence “effect” others? I do agree for AD only a backup role remained. His dad got involved and made that difficult for George and Jim to manage. Playing them together clogged up the middle too much on offense. Having said that, they personally got along fine and were friendly.

Ultimately, I guess everyone on the team by definition had the “effect” of any games lost including Andre. I am just saying it’s a tall ask to put a dispportionate share of that blame on a freshman (cause or effect) especially with the unique events Chief addressed earlier in this post. There was no way Jim could work his usual magic when he was out so much due to suspension and serious illness. Ryan Boatright being suspended for several games hurt too. True, Andre did not have the usual time to bond with his teammates over the summer either. However, the problems were generally the on-court play never coming together rather than how the players got along off the court. Much different than last season as even Coach Hurley publicly acknowledges now.

If you look at AD’s rebounding, he did not really master the positioning that made him an NBA historic rebounder, until Rasheed Wallace taugh him how to do it. In college, he still was working to not relie so much on jumping over people or just being taller.

Reaction Score
I understand but in those days we had very lofty goals. We ended the season the same way, being bounced early from the tournament.

I think you are undervaluing the impact of Jim’s serious health problems, his NCAA related suspension, Bouknight’s suspension and the NCAA cloud for the future, that was a distraction and contributed to a post season exodus. Andre was NOT a cause or “effect” for any of that.
Did it impact his development as a freshmen - sure it did. I believe Jim was out again with his serious health issues late in the year but made a more symbolic than material return for the tournament. He was not in good health. While George and Jim had many similar philosophies, their styles were more than a little different for players to adjust to when Jim was in and out of the coaching line-up so much.
How did Andre’s presence “effect” others? I do agree for AD only a backup role remained. His dad got involved and made that difficult for George and Jim to manage. Playing them together clogged up the middle too much on offense. Having said that, they personally got along fine and were friendly.

Ultimately, I guess everyone on the team by definition had the “effect” of any games lost including Andre. I am just saying it’s a tall ask to put a dispportionate share of that blame on a freshman (cause or effect) especially with the unique events Chief addressed earlier in this post. There was no way Jim could work his usual magic when he was out so much due to suspension and serious illness. Ryan Boatright being suspended for several games hurt too. True, Andre did not have the usual time to bond with his teammates over the summer either. However, the problems were generally the on-court play never coming together rather than how the players got along off the court. Much different than last season as even Coach Hurley publicly acknowledges now.

If you look at AD’s rebounding, he did not really master the positioning that made him an NBA historic rebounder, until Rasheed Wallace taugh him how to do it. In college, he still was working to not relie so much on jumping over people or just being taller.
Only a casual fan would think that getting blown out in the first round of the NCAA tournament is a comparable result to losing in a Regional Final, in OT, when the last shot rims out instead of going in.

Reaction Score
B5AEA53A-DEB1-4F91-AB6B-9226AA0ACC9D.png

Expressing frustration?

Reaction Score
Only a casual fan would think that getting blown out in the first round of the NCAA tournament is a comparable result to losing in a Regional Final, in OT, when the last shot rims out instead of going in.
As Chief said, I understand but in those days we had “lofty goals”. Falling short was falling short. Did you feel good after losing to Duke in Jersey? Or even during 2009 in Detroit? Where you celebrating getting there? Thank God, Coach Calhoun did not think like that.
Additionally, let’s not disrespect Coach Calhoun’s 2011/2012 efforts. His health issues are public and well documented, by any standard it was a miracle of God and Grit that he coached that tournament game and is alive today. I danced around the severity of the issue previously, since he never makes excuses. But, it is really bad form for people continuing to bring that season up - which he missed large chunks of due to health issues and suspensions and blame it on the “effects” of a freshman” joining a veteran team. It wasn’t typical of his coaching resume but there were legitimate reasons for a “disappointing” season rather or not Andre Drummond came to UConn. What you erroneously call the “Drummond Effect” was really the “ Calhoun, the HOH Coach, being out and sick Effect”. To think that having a Hall of Fame Coach absent throughout the season rather than molding the team wouldn’t have an effect is silly.

Reaction Score
View attachment 70987

Expressing frustration?
I wish James a speedy return to the NBA from the G League. Having said that, I don’t think that the number of points he scores per game is the metric to use to define success. He isn’t going to average 30 per game on the Hornets. He needs to work at learning to play with other guys who can also score. Defense in stopping an opponent who can drop 30 is important too.
Don’t get me wrong, scoring 30 is a good thing as long as these other things happen too.

Reaction Score
He scored 33 in a g league game. Happy for the young man.

Hopefully he realizes that’s not the sole metric that any team uses to evaluate most players. You typically have to be more complete to have a meaningful role. I’m sure someone has a +/- on him.

Just keep doing that night after night while improving the parts of his game the Hornets want him to work on and it’ll work out.

I do laugh at the “look at me” social posts, but the idea of just doing work quietly waved bye bye a long time ago.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Borrego is a dufus.
Sure seems that way. Crazy, Bouk finished with 33 and missed two or three finger roll layups. Showed a lot of a poise and seemed like the best player on the floor.

Only concern I have with Bouk, is the constant knee-buckling that leads to turnovers. He did it here at UCONN and it occurred yesterday after he hit the big three to put the swarm up front. Anyone think Bouk is potentially still dealing with the knee injury that sidelined him in hs?

DCT

Reaction Score
Again, Bouknight’s UConn career was better than Andre Drummond’s. The post implied Bouk had the worst college career of any UConn lottery pick.
My bad Drummonds one year doesn't compare to Bouks career

Reaction Score
Sure seems that way. Crazy, Bouk finished with 33 and missed two or three finger roll layups. Showed a lot of a poise and seemed like the best player on the floor.

Only concern I have with Bouk, is the constant knee-buckling that leads to turnovers. He did it here at UCONN and it occurred yesterday after he hit the big three to put the swarm up front. Anyone think Bouk is potentially still dealing with the knee injury that sidelined him in hs?
He only had 1 TO in yesterdays game so that’s a good start. NBA teams aren’t allowed to withhold injury info like that, so I would be surprised if there was something going on. I could be wrong, but that would be my best guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom