Bouknight Sent Down! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bouknight Sent Down!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Well, Bouknight and Kai Jones have been recalled from Greensboro back to the NBA. That was short lived. Not entirely sure what the point of that was.

My best guess is they are just going to sit on the bench at tonight’s NBA game and be sent back to Greensboro tomorrow to play in the g league game.

Obviously the point was to screw with us.

Reaction Score
Well, Bouknight and Kai Jones have been recalled from Greensboro back to the NBA. That was short lived. Not entirely sure what the point of that was.

My best guess is they are just going to sit on the bench at tonight’s NBA game and be sent back to Greensboro tomorrow to play in the g league game.

Kind of wacky but maybe they both just wanted great seats for the game tonight. :)

DCT

Reaction Score
Have you heard of a fella named Andre Drummond?
Again Drummond has made over 130 million in his career and is still playing. During his 12 year career he has averaged 14.4 points and 13.7 rebounds also he can still pull down 25 on occasions

Reaction Score

... Why did they even send them down? There have been no changes to injury status. Is this implying they sent them to Greensboro to practice for the day???

Reaction Score
... Why did they even send them down? There have been no changes to injury status. Is this implying they sent them to Greensboro to practice for the day???
Yeah it happens semi-regularly with teams who's G-League teams are close by just to get guys the extra practice. The Knicks have done it a few times and will send guys to Westchester just to get a practice or game in and then call them back up after

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Are you kidding? Andre is a historic NBA rebounder. A two time NBA All Star.
Bouknight’s UConn career was better than Andre Drummond’s. The statement implied that Bouknight had the least accomplished college career of any UConn lottery pick. Drummond holds that distinction.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Again Drummond has made over 130 million in his career and is still playing. During his 12 year career he has averaged 14.4 points and 13.7 rebounds also he can still pull down 25 on occasions
Again, Bouknight’s UConn career was better than Andre Drummond’s. The post implied Bouk had the worst college career of any UConn lottery pick.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind that in any given year there are just under 4,500 division 1 basketball players that would love to be considered the worst lottery pick in any given school’s history.

Reaction Score
Chief doesn’t have a comment on the above.

In the last two weeks his former coach publicly told him “don’t be a baby” and mentioned this year’s team is much, much closer than last year’s team.
Chief is hoping James jettisons his inexperience advisors (they have done enough of damage) and starts to listen again to true basketball people who have his best interest at heart.
As someone who has an eye for talent and talks regularly to some who do it for a living, James can have a very good career. He just needs to make some necessary changes.
Can you source the Hurley quote that this years team is much much closer than last years? I may have missed this, but don’t recall it at all.

Reaction Score
Can you source the Hurley quote that this years team is much much closer than last years? I may have missed this, but don’t recall it at all.

Hartford Courant
048D917B-9F18-4B64-BEF7-C85C3BD56416.jpeg

Reaction Score
Where is Chief?! I’m now caught up on all the nonsense
So this is the end game for your strategy? Does a player get permanently sent down to the G League, sent down and recalled or collects NBA DNP’s.
Chief wants UConn players to aspire to so much more than the “Abe1 Triangle” described above.
Respect the game, respect the team and do the grind. That’s the three legs to the stool that will support a great NBA career for James Bouknight.

Reaction Score
Again, Bouknight’s UConn career was better than Andre Drummond’s. The post implied Bouk had the worst college career of any UConn lottery pick.
Chief has been through the NCAA related suspensions for Coach Calhoun and Bouknight that season followed by various Calhoun health issues. Add in Alex O not adjusting to his new role. For all the above reasons, the team did not have the usual Calhoun trajectory. To lump all this onto a freshman, who decided on UConn a week before school, is more than a little unfair.

Reaction Score
Bouknight had to take the money but another year becoming a better defender and more complete player under Hurley would have been beneficial IMO. He might have even enjoyed it. He’s going to get the same money over his career likely.

Reaction Score
I think everyone agrees Bouknight was a future NBA player. Everyone agrees that in the current dopey “potential” system they use, if you are a lottery pick you go. Nobody here is disputing that. But what some of us think is in a more rational system, Bouknight would have stayed at least another season, developed his game and his body, then gone pro. That isn’t the system we have, so some guys will get drafted, make lots of money, and never really get much burn at the NBA level. They either won’t develop up to their potential or next year’s lottery pick will be better, or a Kevin Ollie type will come along and take their spot. That is the risk the player takes and the risk the team takes when you draft on potential rather than actual performance.

Now, lest people make the claim that I am anti-Bouknight, let me say I hope he has a great career. Just not against the Celtics:p But I thought he was too weak and not yet skilled enough to be an effective NBA guy after last year. His current situation doesn’t come as a shock, really. Maybe a g-league year does what a 3rd year at UConn would have. But for the record knowing he was going to be a lottery pick, staying was NOT a reasonable option.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I think everyone agrees Bouknight was a future NBA player. Everyone agrees that in the current dopey “potential” system they use, if you are a lottery pick you go. Nobody here is disputing that. But what some of us think is in a more rational system, Bouknight would have stayed at least another season, developed his game and his body, then gone pro. That isn’t the system we have, so some guys will get drafted, make lots of money, and never really get much burn at the NBA level. They either won’t develop up to their potential or next year’s lottery pick will be better, or a Kevin Ollie type will come along and take their spot. That is the risk the player takes and the risk the team takes when you draft on potential rather than actual performance.

Now, lest people make the claim that I am anti-Bouknight, let me say I hope he has a great career. Just not against the Celtics:p But I thought he was too weak and not yet skilled enough to be an effective NBA guy after last year. His current situation doesn’t come as a shock, really. Maybe a g-league year does what a 3rd year at UConn would have. But for the record knowing he was going to be a lottery pick, staying was NOT a reasonable option.

I don't think he's more likely to develop in college than the NBA, even if he's not getting a lot of burn. He has access to world class trainers and coaches, and can devote all his time to getting better at basketball instead of going to class. If he stayed another year and didn't develop, then he would lose out on the payday he did get.

Reaction Score
I don't think he's more likely to develop in college than the NBA, even if he's not getting a lot of burn. He has access to world class trainers and coaches, and can devote all his time to getting better at basketball instead of going to class. If he stayed another year and didn't develop, then he would lose out on the payday he did get.
And a world class bench to sit on.

Reaction Score
At UConn he would get a lot more support off the court. Pro teams treat their players like adults. It’s a business. There’s a great deal more hand holding and guidance in college. We even brought in that guy from OSU after his freshman incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom