Borges confirmed: Hass is staying | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Borges confirmed: Hass is staying

Reaction Score
This was one of my favorite parts of being at UConn was when the basketball team would show up and play in pick up games

There wasn’t a college basketball team in the country that proved it could hang with the UConn men last season. But how about other students on campus in the ‘Basketball Capital of the World’?

Some of the Huskies hit the court against regular students in pickup games on campus Wednesday, and the students fared just about as well as Stetson, according to some video clips posted on X.

There are a bunch of videos of the UConn players toying with the students playing pick up. Singare needs to work on his handle. Lol

Alternate access:
UConn men’s basketball players join regular students in pickup game; it goes exactly how you’d expect

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I played in a men’s league at 35 and the other team had a recently graduated D3 player who absolutely torched us. seemed like Jamal Crawford level skill with the ball.

Looked him up later and he averaged 1 ppg over 4 years at a school that lost nearly every single game.

Damn, how bad was your team? Lol

Reaction Score
I guarded Devin Carter 2 years ago when he was still at South Carolina.

As much as one can expect a 5'9 person to guard Devin Carter.
I guarded Donte Divincenzo for a couple games when he came to visit some friends at UDel. He was giving about 30% effort and cooking me, and I consider myself a pretty good player.

Our team somehow won though. He was a cool guy, too.

Reaction Score
I hope the Hass is returning thread is titled "Hass confirmed: Hass is staying."

Reaction Score
I guarded Donte Divincenzo for a couple games when he came to visit some friends at UDel. He was giving about 30% effort and cooking me, and I consider myself a pretty good player.

Our team somehow won though. He was a cool guy, too.
I went up against Kemba and totally shut him down...oh that was in a dream...never mind. :)

Reaction Score
I guarded Purvis. Wasn’t even worth trying. Definitely looked the part of a Ferrari to me in person
Back a few decades or so, at work we played hoops during lunch. There was a former University of Hartford player, probably just under 6-0 who predominantly road the bench, that would dribble circles around most of us and would light it up from all over the court.

As a sub-6 footer, who played hoops through my freshman year in high school, though was one of the top middle distance runners in our Greater Boston league, I'd man up with this former D1 bench warmer. I did a solid job D'ing up against him, slowing him down and making it hard for him to get the ball. Most of the time he liked the effort and challenge, compared to getting his shot whenever he wanted.

In college, I played pickup hoops once against who I assumed were a lot of former high school players and quickly realized I was way over my head.

The talent separation is substantial between a casual baller and high school ballers and low or mid major college players, D1ers, elite college ballers, NBA end-of-the-bench players, NBA rotational players and elite NBA ballers.

I find it fascinating the separation between the top NBA players and the rest of the league which is made up of Uber-athletes and/or dymic playmakers/scorers. It's their high BBIQ, elite ability to process what is going on and will unfold on the court, elite ball handling, ability to create space and their own shot, and for some of them their combination of size, strength and freak athleticism.

For example Larry Bird had all the above except the elite athleticism and was a dominating force throughout his career. Others like Dr. J and Giannis have the combination size, freak athleticism and shotmaking that separates them from most of the league. The ability to complete consistently at a high level blows my mind.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The talent separation is substantial between a casual baller and high school ballers and low or mid major college players, D1ers, elite college ballers, NBA end-of-the-bench players, NBA rotational players and elite NBA ballers.
This. Every time you take a jump up in athletics you are calling kids and continually sending all the best to the next level. D1 athletes are impressive compared to everybody else. Just reaction time (fast twitch muscles) alone is a big difference.

Reaction Score
This. Every time you take a jump up in athletics you are calling kids and continually sending all the best to the next level. D1 athletes are impressive compared to everybody else. Just reaction time (fast twitch muscles) alone is a big difference.
I run a bunch of Mens basketball leagues and tell guys this all the time. It’s why we seperate our leagues into different divisions to avoid huge discrepancies of talent. One thing you see for sure is casual guys (even good high school guys) playing against former college players get worked. Then sometimes the former college guys get worked by the recent college graduate players who just have more burst and are fresh off practicing everyday for years on end. Levels to it all for sure.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I could write a book on the amount of times I played in Guyer. That was a fun time. I got to regularly play against practice squad players (both for the men’s and women’s teams), baseball players, and football players.

There were probably about 300-500 people that played in the gym over the course of the two years I played there with 100-200 playing regularly.

Out of those I was probably among the top 30-40 so I got to rub shoulders with the best and it was fun.

Oddly enough the best players I played against personally were not players on the team although Omar Calhoun (who couldn’t shoot in there either) and Foxen were two of the five best players I played against. The best player was a guy who I believe coached a local high school team. He was about 23 or 24. Total beast. Dude would use his elbows as weapons as he torched through the lane. Freak athlete.

One other guy who was feared though out the gym was a groundskeeper who was about 5’8”.
This dude was one of the strongest people I have ever met in my life. Total freak. He was post up down low next to guys nine inches taller than him and absolutely embarrass them.

Another thing I noticed was that the football players were extremely slow. I know why the football program sucked during Pasqualoni.
There were exceptions like DeSean Foxx who I routinely guarded, but most of these D-1 football players would not have even sniffed D-3 basketball.

Reaction Score
I played in a pick up game and didn't realize Earl Kelley was on my team. Told him I'll play point. We won, and it wasn't because of me.
Shows how times have changed. Imagine now playing a pickup game and not knowing a player, or prospective player, right off the bat.
Nowadays they would have been pointed out by everyone there as soon as they walked in the gym.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom