Borges article comparing PT of UConn recruits to other programs | The Boneyard

Borges article comparing PT of UConn recruits to other programs

Reaction Score
Hurley's reaction to fan criticism is, “At a place like this,” he said on Monday, “anytime you lose, there’s a certain level of hysteria that begins.”

Not what I was expecting. If he can't see his deficiencies, he he's not likely to improve. He also doesn't understand the need to invest in younger players with higher ceilings. Hopefully he'll figure it out before a revolving door to the Transfer Portal bites him in the ass.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I’d love to see the data in the article plotted on a graph with the X axis being player rank in the Y axis being number of minutes played. That would more clearly show how our guys stand relative to their ranked peers.

Note that when I say I’d love to see that, not so much that I’d actually take the time to do it, but I’d certainly look at it if someone did.

Reaction Score
I’d love to see the data in the article plotted on a graph with the X axis being player rank in the Y axis being number of minutes played. That would more clearly show how our guys stand relative to their ranked peers.

Note that when I say I’d love to see that, not so much that I’d actually take the time to do it, but I’d certainly look at it if someone did.
According to the Boneyard:
1642018712606.png

Reaction Score
Hurley's reaction to fan criticism is, “At a place like this,” he said on Monday, “anytime you lose, there’s a certain level of hysteria that begins.”

Not what I was expecting. If he can't see his deficiencies, he he's not likely to improve. He also doesn't understand the need to invest in younger players with higher ceilings. Hopefully he'll figure it out before a revolving door to the Transfer Portal bites him in the ass.
You get it.

Reaction Score

I started looking at that for the recruits in the 40-60 range (similar to our 3 freshmen) but nobody volunteered to finish it.

Reaction Score
Hurley is a massive upgrade from our last head coach, but he still seems to have some substantial blind spots. I bet if he was being completely honest, he would admit that Johnson and Diggins both should have logged more minutes in the games UConn won by over 20 points. There was lots of upside to getting these guys getting some run, and virtually no downside.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Basically, there are some recruits in the same ranking range getting significant minutes and some who are not. Seems dependent on team + situation.

The minutes Hurley is giving to Diggins and Johnson isn’t anything to be alarmed about. But also doesn’t mean he can’t get them more (especially if they earn them).

Reaction Score

I started looking at that for the recruits in the 40-60 range (similar to our 3 freshmen) but nobody volunteered to finish it.

I'm not the greatest with Excel charts, I'm more of a table guy. It gets really messy with the full top 100 but here's 40-70. Best way I could find to show it

B0394EFD-ECBF-4091-97FB-BAE2C50F11A7.png

Reaction Score
And just in terms of total minutes played not per game arranged by recruiting ranking for what @CL82 actually asked for. Couldn't get the players names on here without making it look like a mess, Johnson, Hawkins, Diggins are circled in that order left to right

7A370694-25F2-415C-99CD-FC68FDD8410C.png

Reaction Score

Maybe instead of worrying about the fan hysteria he should do some serious self soul searching

Reaction Score
Thanks. This is good info. An even more interesting chart will be how many of those players in this range who don't get a lot of minutes will transfer.

Reaction Score
Are W. McClendon and Z. Harmon hurt. Avging 0 min/game?
Harmon didn't play the first few games and then has been listed as being out for personal reasons, so not sure what's going on there. McClendon tore his ACL so is out for the year

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
And just in terms of total minutes played not per game arranged by recruiting ranking for what @CL82 actually asked for. Couldn't get the players names on here without making it look like a mess, Johnson, Hawkins, Diggins are circled in that order left to right

View attachment 72411
This chart way more indicative than the MPG chart, because I believe the MPG number only counts games they entered (not total team games).

Eyeballing it, only 5 guys in the 40-70 range have played less total minutes than either Diggins or Johnson.

Reaction Score
Hurley is a massive upgrade from our last head coach, but he still seems to have some substantial blind spots. I bet if he was being completely honest, he would admit that Johnson and Diggins both should have logged more minutes in the games UConn won by over 20 points. There was lots of upside to getting these guys getting some run, and virtually no downside.
i mean, i agree with this take on the surface, but do you think we win the 2OT game against auburn if our starters aren't in A+ game shape? that was the argument hurley made at the time and it resulted in what might be the best win in college basketball right now.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's like $1 for 6 months. Journalists getting paid like $30K to report and y'all don't want to give a dollar.
$5 a week after that. For people who aren't local it doesn't make sense. I'd pay .25 an article if they'd move to that model.

I think there is a better argument to get Johnson in than there is for Diggins. He has much more position competition, but he has been reasonably effective when he plays. Nobody else has his length and at times we can use it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This chart way more indicative than the MPG chart, because I believe the MPG number only counts games they entered (not total team games).

Eyeballing it, only 5 guys in the 40-70 range have played less total minutes than either Diggins or Johnson.
Yeah but on the first graph it looks as if they are pretty much clustered in a pretty significant group. In other words their minutes aren’t dramatically different. On the other hand when looking at total minutes, they are way down at the bottom.

@navery12 Nice work!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Playing time is going to be pretty variable based on so many variable. The player’s skill level is Probably #1, but the team need and current situation comes into play too. If one of these guys is at a place that didn’t have what he brings, that guy probably plays.

Still for all the big talk about our recruiting, you might expect to see SOMEBODY get some burn.

Reaction Score
Yeah but on the first graph it looks as if they are pretty much clustered in a pretty significant group. In other words their minutes aren’t dramatically different. On the other hand when looking at total minutes, they are way down at the bottom.

@navery12 Nice work!
The 2nd graph has a confounding variable not found in the first; we had a few games canceled because of prolonged COVID pause, so we've played less games than the average team. So total minutes will be lower for our players.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

But if Hurley had given these guys 5-7 mins more of run in all of our cupcake games, then they’d be right in the middle of the other frosh in the 40-70 rankings, even without playing a minute in conference.

I wonder if a lot of this complaining about minutes would have been placated if we saw more Diggins and Johnson in the early blowout wins.

Maybe Hurley wonders the same thing too…

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom