Boneyard electricians? | The Boneyard

Boneyard electricians?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
So a bit of an issue here. Earlier today I took out a light switch and covered it with a flat outlet cover. I wrapped the wires around the bolts that had been on the switch and taped them up. Cue to 5 minutes ago and I try to a switch on A light in a nearby area of the house and nothing. Also one outlet in a nearby room no longer functioning.

Coincidence? What’s the deal?

Reaction Score
Probably not a coincidence. What color were the wires? There is a 3rd wire for second switches to control the circuit from either switch.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
So a bit of an issue here. Earlier today I took out a light switch and covered it with a flat outlet cover. I wrapped the wires around the bolts that had been on the switch and taped them up. Cue to 5 minutes ago and I try to a switch on A light in a nearby area of the house and nothing. Also one outlet in a nearby room no longer functioning.

Was it a three was switch?

Also ...

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
To piggy back... I do have a bunch of electrical work I’d like to get done at the house. If any Yard electricians service central CT shoot me a PM.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

This here's your problem.

1575772760966.png

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Sounds like someone took a shortcut and used the switch to act as a connector. Were there two wires under one screw on the switch?

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Yes! Which I thought was weird but I honestly have no idea about this stuff
Well, on the bright side if you want to remove that switch, it's rather easy.

First, get a couple of wirenuts (we called them scotchloks when I worked for my dad in CT.)

Take the two wires under one nut and twist them together with insulated pliers and put a wirenut on the twist and twist it down tight. Take the other single wire and twist a wirenut tight over that.

Problem solved.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Well, on the bright side if you want to remove that switch, it's rather easy.

First, get a couple of wirenuts (we called them scotchloks when I worked for my dad in CT.)

Take the two wires under one nut and twist them together with insulated pliers and put a wirenut on the twist and twist it down tight. Take the other single wire and twist a wirenut tight over that.

Problem solved.
It’s a 3 way so there are technically 4 wires

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
It’s a 3 way so there are technically 4 wires
That poses additional steps that would be easier to deal with locally. You would have to have one of the travelers from the other side of the 3 way switch you are removing connected to the other two wires that were under the same screw. There's probably a red and black connected to the traveler side of the switch with the white tied through (not connected to the switch but connected to all the other white wires.) So if you connected say the black traveler from the second side of the switch to the other two wires, you would want to attach that black wire to new single pole switch along with the existing black wire on the other side of the old 3 way switch.

If that doesn't make sense, I could probably make a drawing that would make sense - or hire an electician :)

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
That poses additional steps that would be easier to deal with locally. You would have to have one of the travelers from the other side of the 3 way switch you are removing connected to the other two wires that were under the same screw. There's probably a red and black connected to the traveler side of the switch with the white tied through (not connected to the switch but connected to all the other white wires.) So if you connected say the black traveler from the second side of the switch to the other two wires, you would want to attach that black wire to new single pole switch along with the existing black wire on the other side of the old 3 way switch.

If that doesn't make sense, I could probably make a drawing that would make sense - or hire an electician :)
No that’s very helpful and I’ll keep in mind if I decide to take another crack

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
jleves is a hack! My lab partner lit a lightbulb in 7th grade with some potatoes and wire and stuff. Who you going to trust?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If you know someone before you did some home electrical work, hire an electrician to do it right and safe.

A few years ago we repainted the kitchen and I had to redo all the outlets and switches. I worked aircraft electrical systems for 20 years. The main kitchen light has two switches. I replaced them both with exactly same type of switch and swapped wires one at a time. Only one switch works correctly now. The second switch can only turn off lights if the first switch is on. If first switch is off, the second can't turn it on.
My father in law is a general contractor for custom homes in Phoenix. He laughed at me and took me to home improvement stores and got the right switches. He swapped everything out to the "correct" leads and terminal lugs. Proud of his work, he tried it out. Same thing as me. Second switch doesn't work correctly.
Owner before me did something. I'm just too proud to call. So, until we sell our home, it is as it is

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If you know someone before you did some home electrical work, hire an electrician to do it right and safe.

A few years ago we repainted the kitchen and I had to redo all the outlets and switches. I worked aircraft electrical systems for 20 years. The main kitchen light has two switches. I replaced them both with exactly same type of switch and swapped wires one at a time. Only one switch works correctly now. The second switch can only turn off lights if the first switch is on. If first switch is off, the second can't turn it on.
My father in law is a general contractor for custom homes in Phoenix. He laughed at me and took me to home improvement stores and got the right switches. He swapped everything out to the "correct" leads and terminal lugs. Proud of his work, he tried it out. Same thing as me. Second switch doesn't work correctly.
Owner before me did something. I'm just too proud to call. So, until we sell our home, it is as it is
If you were scrupulous about replacing the wires they way were, and it sounds like you were, I'd guess that you have a bad switch on the other end of the circuit.
(Disclosure: I'm not an electrician.)

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

The exterior light over our front door works “sometimes.” There’s another light switch to nowhere in the living room. The house had two true owners before us. One for 30 years and one for 50 years. House went to moderate crap after the most recent owner and was then bought by a flipper then us. The listing boasted “upgraded electrical.” Sureeee

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The exterior light over our front door works “sometimes.” There’s another light switch to nowhere in the living room. The house had two true owners before us. One for 30 years and one for 50 years. House went to moderate crap after the most recent owner and was then bought by a flipper then us. The listing boasted “upgraded electrical.” Sureeee
I'd get someone decent and show them the issues. Stuff like putting in a new switch or outlet isn't bad if everything is an easy enough thing to do, but you have no idea what the flipper did. I've walked through commercial real estate where they were in the process of mudding over an former wall sconce. They didn't even put a plate over the box (which would be bad in and of itself). They just were pushing joint compound into a box with wires in it. That is insane and likely to get someone killed. It would be worth it to me to get someone in just for the piece of mind, at least for the known issues.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom