2012: 11-2 MW Champs #18 AP Poll
2013: 8-5 Not rated
2014: 12-2 MW Champs #16 AP Poll NY 6 participant
2015: 9-4 Not rated
2016: 10-3 Not rated
2017: 11-3 MW Champs #22 AP Poll
2018: 10-3 #23 AP Poll
2019: 12-2 MW Champs #23 AP Poll

So, in the last 8 years, Boise St. has won 4 MW Championships and been ranked 4 times, never higher than #16. These are very good records, but they are not the accomplishments of the Boise St. from 2002 to 2011 when they were ranked in the top 10 four times and the top 16 eight times.

Boise St. plays in the MW which is not as strong as the AAC, so going to the AAC would probably mean additional losses, although if they won the AAC, it would probably mean a trip to a NY 6 bowl. Maybe going to the AAC would increase the media dollars and prestige of the AAC, but Boise St. has not built a huge fanbase that will be accepting of cyclical football performance.

And, no way Boise St. can join the AAC for all sports as the travel costs would be too high.

I think Boise St. and the MW will figure out a way to make peace as it is in both parties interests.

Reaction Score
They should go Indy too
I think they should look at it.

The conference helps for all other sports, so maybe they could go Big Sky and Indy for FBS.

This may be a minor trend for brand schools that are not in the P5. The G5 TV deals don't bring real revenue anyway so Indy is an alternative.

Bowls don't mean anything really. Playoffs are important. Everything else is just an exhibition.

Reaction Score
Excepting Notre Dame...few major programs really want to be an independent...they may become independent, but because circumstances leave them few choices.

BYU wants to play in a P5...but Sundays are a problem.

“I really would love to see our football play at that level, be playing in a P5 conference,” Holmoe said per the Associated Press. “I want our players … in all of our sports to be able to play at the highest level. I don’t know [if the policy is a deal-breaker]. That’s up to the P5 conferences. But I do know that it’s something that we hold very sacred. We have never played on a Sunday and we’re not going to play on a Sunday.”

Boise State pines for the PAC or Big 12...but has little chance for either. They recently added a baseball program. Not having a baseball program had been mentioned as a hindrance to joining a P5.

Academics, geography, and their non football sports do not help the Broncos in their P5 quest.

Indy football may well be their best choice.

Reaction Score
Of course they want the P5 money.

When the choice comes down to G5 conference money or independence, indy is a credible option.

Reaction Score
Indy may be credible...and it also may be a relegation for Boise...

Depends on their success scheduling and winning against good programs.

Reaction Score
Boise, this year, was undefeated in conference, and was the 12-1 MWC Champion.

NY6 bowl? Nope. Las Vegas Bowl.

Boise was CFP ranked behind eleven teams that had fewer wins and more losses.

Boise has already been relegated so how much worse could independence be?

Reaction Score
Boise, this year, was undefeated in conference, and was the 12-1 MWC Champion.

NY6 bowl? Nope. Las Vegas Bowl.

Boise was CFP ranked behind eleven teams that had fewer wins and more losses.

Boise has already been relegated so how much worse could independence be?
Every non P5 school has been relegated. That isn't even up for debate. As more teams join independence, there is no upside to being in a G5 league. Zero, zilch, zip, nada. Eventually school like Boise may find that a network will pay them more as a stand alone that as part of some conference that is never going to get what they're really worth. Unlike us, Boise is an attractive FB product.

Reaction Score
If Boise State left the MWC in football, it'd be unlikely that the Mountain West would be open to allowing the rest of the Broncos' teams stay there, so they would have to find a new home in a conference like the West Coast Conference, Big Sky, Big West, etc.

Reaction Score
Yep...may have move other sports to a conference where football is less important or non existent...if they go indy in FB.

Like the West Coast Conference...no football

Boise has built a football brand and they will fight to keep it...and going indy may suit their needs.

BUT...it sounds like they are barking at the MWC to keep their current arrangement into the future.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When Boise State signed on to the oBE in 2011, it was for football only with the other sports going to the WAC.

Reaction Score
Air Force doesn’t seem happy with the MW either. They may leave with Boise.

I wonder what San Diego St is thinking?

Reaction Score
Air Force doesn’t seem happy with the MW either. They may leave with Boise.

I wonder what San Diego St is thinking?
1580263401278.png

Reaction Score
Yep...may have move other sports to a conference where football is less important or non existent...if they go indy in FB.

Like the West Coast Conference...no football

Boise has built a football brand and they will fight to keep it...and going indy may suit their needs.

BUT...it sounds like they are barking at the MWC to keep their current arrangement into the future.
I agree that if Boise goes the indpendent route in football, the West Coast Conference will be the benificiary: With BYU, Gonzaga, & et al, it is already the best nonfootball conference in the West. The WAC is a nonfactor since its extinction event. The addition of Boise, Air Force, & SDSU for all nonfootball sports would make it a force to be reckoned with. The only problem I foresee is the unwieldy nature of a MEGAconference, using the former 16 team Mountain West & C-USA as examples.

Reaction Score
The WCC wouldn’t be a destination for Boise. They are a collection of private schools with solid academic reputations. Boise is neither private nor regarded well academically.

The Big Sky (which housed Idaho’s Olympic sports prior to their rejoining for all sports, but is pretty full now and rumored to be trying to cut some members loose) or WAC would be more likely landing spots should Boise need a new home for their basketball + Olympic sports.

Reaction Score
Some say that cerain religious schools would not mix...but they do in the WCC.

Some said that BYU couldn't play in the WCC...a league that is almost a Catholic conference.

alongside Portland (Catholic...founded by the same order as Notre Dame), Loyola Marymount (Catholic rooted in Jesuit traditions), Gonzaga (another Catholic institution), St. Mary's (another Catholic U). Santa Clara (Catholic/Jesuit), San Francisco (Catholic/Jesuit), San Diego University (Catholic)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Doesn't every program? It doesn't seem to be within their control.

Reaction Score
I think they should look at it.

The conference helps for all other sports, so maybe they could go Big Sky and Indy for FBS.

This may be a minor trend for brand schools that are not in the P5. The G5 TV deals don't bring real revenue anyway so Indy is an alternative.

Bowls don't mean anything really. Playoffs are important. Everything else is just an exhibition.

The Gonzaga - BYU basketball league would be a solid fit.

The GAP between P5 & the dirty unwashed will leave all 70 non P5 with bad choices & opportunities.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom