Blind Player Comparison | The Boneyard

Blind Player Comparison

Which player is having a better year?

• Total voters

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Player A: 16.4 PPG (.388 FG%), 4.9 Assists, 2.8 Rebounds, 1.5 Steals, 1.9 Turnovers
Player B: 14.7 PPG (.408 FG%), 4.7 Assists, 3.5 Rebounds, .7 Steals, 2.7 Turnovers

Who you got?

I'll reveal the players this evening.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don’t care which player you pick, but those are outstanding stats for a blind player. I mean, how do they even know where to throw the ball to get those assists?

Reaction Score
Player A: 16.4 PPG (.388 FG%), 4.9 Assists, 2.8 Rebounds, 1.5 Steals, 1.9 Turnovers
Player B: 14.7 PPG (.408 FG%), 4.7 Assists, 3.5 Rebounds, .7 Steals, 2.7 Turnovers

Who you got?

I'll reveal the players this evening.

You can throw numbers on the table and ask which of two baseball players is having a better season. Basketball doesn't work that way. Numbers are relevant, but only tell you so much. They don't tell you how good the competition is, how much help the player has on his team and what the coach is looking for him to accomplish as part of a team.

Reaction Score
Not sure who player B is off the top of my head, but A is kinda obvious.

It's kinda hard to make this determination...

Is strength of schedule the same? How did they perform in close games? FT%? How many 3s are they taking (.388FG% or .408 is pretty bad if it was exclusively 2 point shots, but primarily 3s is great) How many minutes do they play? Who else is on their team (if they're playing with a 25ppg scorer next to them, this looks even better)?

Assuming all those things are equal... the answer is player A. But they aren't.

Both these guys could be great players or not very good at all depending on the answer to the questions.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
You can throw numbers on the table and ask which of two baseball players is having a better season. Basketball doesn't work that way. Numbers are relevant, but only tell you so much. They don't tell you how good the competition is, how much help the player has on his team and what the coach is looking for him to accomplish as part of a team.
Its just fun @businesslawyer , doesn't this beat ruminating the on the same complaints and anxieties?

If anyone doesn't think this is a fruitful exercise, you don't have to participate, for everyone else who wants an entertaining distraction from their workday, this post is for you.

Reaction Score
I knew who these 2 players were immediately, which is probably not a good thing. But I won't ruin the fun.

Edit: Actually don't know Player B

Last edited:

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Not sure who player B is off the top of my head, but A is kinda obvious.

It's kinda hard to make this determination...

Is strength of schedule the same? How did they perform in close games? FT%? How many 3s are they taking (.388FG% or .408 is pretty bad if it was exclusively 2 point shots, but primarily 3s is great) How many minutes do they play? Who else is on their team (if they're playing with a 25ppg scorer next to them, this looks even better)?

Assuming all those things are equal... the answer is player A. But they aren't.

Both these guys could be great players or not very good at all depending on the answer to the questions.
When I reveal the players you'll be able to talk about all those variables in the discussion.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Curious who play B is.

95% confident who player A is (I recognize those stats from watching CBB last night).

Player A definitely having a better year based just on those metrics. More PPG (on similar FG %) and higher A/TO ratio.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Okay, 26 votes in an I'm impatient. Overwhelming vote is for Player A whom everyone likely intuited as RJ even though I incorrectly shorted his rebounds per game.

Player B?

Well that's AJ Price in 2009.

Discuss.

Reaction Score
Okay, 26 votes in an I'm impatient. Overwhelming vote is for Player A whom everyone likely intuited as RJ even though I incorrectly shorted his rebounds per game.

Player B?

Discuss.
RJ Cole wouldn’t play on the 2009 team. I’d kill to have 4 guards like Price, Kemba, Dyson and Austrie.

RJ Cole is an absolute dawg and my favorite player on this team, except for Whaley.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Knowing who both these players are changed my vote btw - but I don’t think player A will ever get the same amount of recognition that player B gets.

Edit: looks like you revealed. The biggest takeaway is that numbers don’t tell the whole story (obviously) … that 2008-2009 team had WAY more threats than the current team.

Reaction Score

Player B?

Discuss.

AJ was playing a much more difficult schedule.

Similar MPG.

Cole is a better FT shooter (88% vs 72%).

Price played with much more talented teammates and more competition at his position.

Similar distribution of 2s and 3s... (45% of shots are 3s for Cole... 49% for AJP)

Great comparison!

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Cool idea for a poll but the stats are too close to really differentiate. And as someone else has mentioned, basketball stats need some context.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
RJ Cole wouldn’t play on the 2009 team. I’d kill to have 4 guards like Price, Kemba, Dyson and Austrie.
I'm not sure I agree with you there, or at least accept it as an absolute truth. Certainly it can be argued that RJ would be getting Austrie's minutes. Freshman Kemba was not Junior Kemba.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Cool idea for a poll but the stats are too close to really differentiate. And as someone else
Ultimately this is an RJC appreciation thread by thought starting a comparison to a hallowed guard in UConn history.

I think once RJ is gone we'll look back incredibly fondly on his role in moving the program forward and I wanted to acknowledge that in my own way.

Teams are throwing everything they have at him and he's still doing it on both ends of the court for us. It's general consensus the team would be fundamentally broken without him. Well where does that put him in the litany of great guards we've had?

This team is fringe top 25 team with upside at the moment. If Cole's role and stat line remain exactly the same, how far would they have to go for us to anoint him an all time great? Sweet 16? Final Four?

Questions have been raised about the context of the numbers provided above. I ask you, of AJ Price in 09 or RJ in 22 whose numbers should be boosted or whose discounted to equalize the comparison?

Reaction Score
AJ price was a hell of a basketball player. The fact that Cole's numbers compare favorably is a testament to the impact that he is having this season for the Huskies.

If you look at the active leaders in Division 1, RJ Cole has the third most points scored and the 9th most assists of any player in the country for his college career. Certainly not a bad combo, and we are fortunate to have him on our team.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Tell me who they are playing with and what is their prime responsibility.

There is a big difference comparing someone like RJ to Vital or Boatright and Ollie to Marcus Williams or even AJ Price.

RJ is the primary outside everything on this team, to compare him to some who just needs to distribute isn't fair.

If this turns out to be RJ vs Rashad, you should be ashamed.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Something not mentioned in here... both of those stat lines are fantastic for 2 blind guys.

Edit: It's been pointed out that this joke has already been made. Sorry @CL82 . I guess that just makes it ironic I missed that......

Last edited:
Reaction Score
RJ might be the most underrated player we've ever had at UConn....guy goes out and balls every night and makes winning plays. I haven't seen anything like this on the boneyard since Taliek Brown and we all know how that story ended
I think it goes both ways. Some people correctly see that he's a way-above-average player and utterly indispensable to this team and incorrectly conclude that he is up there with Kemba, Shabazz and friends. Others correctly see that RJ came from a bad team and conference and is no where close to Kemba and Shabazz and conclude that he is not good.

Might he be the most overrated and most underrated player we've ever had?!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Ultimately this is an RJC appreciation thread by thought starting a comparison to a hallowed guard in UConn history.

I think once RJ is gone we'll look back incredibly fondly on his role in moving the program forward and I wanted to acknowledge that in my own way.

Teams are throwing everything they have at him and he's still doing it on both ends of the court for us. It's general consensus the team would be fundamentally broken without him. Well where does that put him in the litany of great guards we've had?

This team is fringe top 25 team with upside at the moment. If Cole's role and stat line remain exactly the same, how far would they have to go for us to anoint him an all time great? Sweet 16? Final Four?

Questions have been raised about the context of the numbers provided above. I ask you, of AJ Price in 09 or RJ in 22 whose numbers should be boosted or whose discounted to equalize the comparison?

AJ in 09 had a lot less to do in terms of scoring than RJ does. AJ had to hit the big shots, RJ isn't quite there. AJ takes the ball to the hole himself last night unitl we are up 15 and don't need to sweat the late 3's by the Johnnies.

AJ was better and that team was better, but I still like this team a lot and RJ a lot. He is by far the best transfer we ever had.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom