Blame pie | The Boneyard

Blame pie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
The coaches need to go over game footage with Aaliyah Edwards, and point out to her what she is doing wrong, why she is getting called for fouls. This was two games in a row that she got into foul trouble. She should have realized after the first foul that the Refs were not going to allow her any "physicalness." If after review, the coaches find that the foul calls were not really fouls, they need to send the video to the proper authorities for review. As was pointed out, if the first foul was so egregious, maybe Geno should have complained, go for the Technical, stand up for his players.

I know someone will jump to conclusions and say I am blaming Aaliyah or the Refs for the loss, I am not. But this certainly was a contributing factor. It will not be fixed by ignoring it.

Reaction Score
Interesting video.... but not much that a UCONN fan was not aware of while watching the
game. It was torture. (at least for me). I knew that they "could" more back, but I
did not think it was " in the cards". They were rattled and did not have Paige to
right the ship. Go Huskies.... I'm rooting for C.C. and the Hawkeyes. ( I could
live with Virginia Tech and Elizabeth Kitley).

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Some of what happened in the game was crazy
25 TO's
The press was great however why were there no touch fouls called on OSU when they pressed but touch calls on Aaliyah and at least 2 of the fouls called on her werent
Immediately Aaliyah was in foul trouble and when she came back in again and again called for fouls almost immediately
We shot 45% and OSU shot 38% and we lost
OSU went to the line 30 times and UConn 15 and they were pressing us.

I know there may be a few comments saying Im wining about the refs. My answer is Im just putting out the numbers and you can take them anyway you want. Yeah the press seemed to take away our confidence and composure but look at the numbers. They seem very one sided.

So we wait to see how the game is called tonite.

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Anytime an Internet poster claims that someone "needs" to do something as if they were an expert on the subject, I stop reading. Wouldn't it better to say. "I'd like to see..." or something to that effect? When you're hired as the coach then you can determine what needs to be done.
How few Boneyard posts have you read to completion? ;):rolleyes:

Reaction Score
The coaches need to go over game footage with Aaliyah Edwards, and point out to her what she is doing wrong, why she is getting called for fouls. This was two games in a row that she got into foul trouble. She should have realized after the first foul that the Refs were not going to allow her any "physicalness." If after review, the coaches find that the foul calls were not really fouls, they need to send the video to the proper authorities for review. As was pointed out, if the first foul was so egregious, maybe Geno should have complained, go for the Technical, stand up for his players.

I know someone will jump to conclusions and say I am blaming Aaliyah or the Refs for the loss, I am not. But this certainly was a contributing factor. It will not be fixed by ignoring it.
I’m pretty sure the coaches go over everything that every player does in a game.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I’m pretty sure the coaches go over everything that every player does in a game.
I would tend to agree with you. But then, why would Aaliyah make the same mistakes in the two most important games, in a row?

Reaction Score
Anytime an Internet poster claims that someone "needs" to do something as if they were an expert on the subject, I stop reading. Wouldn't it better to say. "I'd like to see..." or something to that effect? When you're hired as the coach then you can determine what needs to be done.
Some people just use bad word choices and mean nothing by them. I don't correct grammar or spelling, I mostly just read the comment and try to figure out what the poster was trying to say. I go by the notion most people on here aren't better coaches than Geno and they are just venting.

Reaction Score
I think the question we're all asking is "Was it a mistake or does the officiating change randomly?"
I have seen a lot of documentaries on point shaving and the officials are always right in the middle of it, if not leading the way. Any person who watched UCONN this year should be able to see how much they rely on Edwards and if she isn't on the floor they are going to struggle a bit.

Reaction Score
I have watched a lot of UCONN games over the years and don't remember 1 that the team missed every opportunity to change the momentum of the game like they did the other day. In the first quarter they had opportunities to blow the game open but missed several wide open shots. Not easy shots but ones they usually make at least half of I would think. They had some great chances in the 3rd quarter but when they needed a huge play they got the opposite.

With that said though I really think it was their turn to hack up a fur ball. After the game Lou and Dorka were emotional but Geno in some ways looked relieved that all this ridiculous streaks were finally over and they could get back to coaching and playing basketball. Selfish me was angry they lost, but reflective me was grateful I was able to witness the greatest run in team sports.

Reaction Score
Interesting video.... but not much that a UCONN fan was not aware of while watching the
game. It was torture. (at least for me). I knew that they "could" more back, but I
did not think it was " in the cards". They were rattled and did not have Paige to
Paige would have dribbled through the press just like Amoore did last night…

Reaction Score
Geno's game strategy has always been similar - focus on the top 1-2 tactics needed to disrupt the competition and be prepared to offset their focus. Did not happen.

Reaction Score
We didn’t break the press because we became stagnant. Nika or Azzi can’t break it if everyone is standing around. Why did they become stagnant? I’d guess it was because the emotional toll of the season finally became too much.

Was the refereeing uneven? Yes, I thought so. But it’s human nature for the refs to inadvertently favor the more dynamic team. And tOSU was the more dynamic team. I might even prefer it that way — namely that the team running its heart out all over the court isn’t hamstrung by a bunch of touch calls going against them.

Reaction Score
Every once in a blue moon you play a game where you are completely off and your opponent is at their top. I truly believe this is what happened with Uconn. Having said that we will have an abundance of point guards next year with Paige back and two incoming freshmen who were recruited for that position. I have said previously, and was taken to task for it, that Niki was not recruited as a point guard but was forced into that position. She is an off guard who is a marvelous defensive player and a sparkplug. Given the injuries and having lost the National Player of the Year, I think our young ladies should receive nothing but kudos for their performance.

Reaction Score
After an OSU make, we waited to set ourselves up, instead of immediately SOMEONE, ANYONE, grabbing the ball, going out of bounds and passing it in to SOMEONE, ANYONE, before OSU could set up their press. Too many times I saw a Husky run past the bouncing ball, away from the inbounds, while OSU found the assigned played and got in their pocket...

Reaction Score
If you want to blame someone or something blame the elephant in the room. This will not get me many thumbs up but the truth hurts. We lost because of our star players' lack of availability. We have pumped up Paige and Azzi and the freshman class and they were simply not available. Don't get me wrong Paige and Azzi are gifted generational players but in the pantheon of great Uconn players to come to Storrs They have been absent. Your greatest ability is your availability and they simply have not been. If Diana and Sue or Maya were not available then we would not have the chips we have now. We must face reality and hope that our 2 superstars who at this point in their Uconn Careers are both injury-prone and cannot be relied upon, will return and be healthy at last. Now don't get me wrong they are not deliberately getting hurt they just seem to be in that mode of athletes who were blessed with, and here's that word again' "Potential" but couldn't stay on the field I guess the good thing they have going for them is they both have strong work ethics. We must now hope that Ice Brady doesn't isn't injury prone as well meanwhile going forward all we have is hope and prayers. I love Paige and Azzi and really hope and pray they can rebound fully and give us 1 or 2 years of their gifts if that happens then I believe we will win another NC but the realist in me isn't so sure based on their history.

Reaction Score
Two lines from the box score (below) pretty much do it. Two numbers - 18 for Edwards, 7 for Muhl. Also, 7 rebounds for Edwards in 18 minutes?!? Wow!

Though free throws alone account for more than the MOV - UConn 7-15 (46.7%) vs OSU 22-30 (73.3%). While it's a fact that officiating played a significant role in determining the outcome, it's silly to think the game was fixed. Rather your garden variety, everyday incompetence that's commonplace in the women's game.

I did catch just a bit of the VT - OSU game. Rooting against OSU (bitter? me? Nawwww), it was an absolute pleasure watching their point guard almost singlehandedly wreck their press with ease.

Speaking of - VT to all the those who scoffed at their #1 seed: "How do you like me now?"

blamepie.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69