Birdcode in West Hartford | The Boneyard

Birdcode in West Hartford

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
It’s Nashville hot chicken here in CT. Incredibly delicious. Anyone else try it yet? The wife and I put in a big order for the Super Bowl tonight. IMHO, and I like spicy stuff, but the code breaker level of heat is too much whereas hot is just perfect.

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
It’s Nashville hot chicken here in CT. Incredibly delicious. Anyone else try it yet? The wife and I put in a big order for the Super Bowl tonight. IMHO, and I like spicy stuff, but the code breaker level of heat is too much whereas hot is just perfect.

Funny you mention it, I just tried this place for the first time yesterday. I got the Sando with medium heat - it was very good but a bit unwieldy. I’ll probably go for the tenders next time. The shake fries are really good too - crinkle cut with a seasoning similar to Garden Catering

Reaction Score
Been there 3 times since opening. $15 for a chicken sandwich, fries, and a cola...it better be perfect every time, and its not. The heat is decent (had the mild, medium, and hot), I’d go for the medium going forward. The issue to me is that the sandwich itself falls apart quickly, and be breading slides off the chicken after the first bite.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Never heard of it or never tried it when I lived in CT, but I live in Nashville now and looking at pics of their chicken online it looks legit! I definitely will try it the next time I’m home.

So many places rip off “Nashville hot” and make it like Buffalo chicken. Nashville hot is an oil based rub, not a sauce!

We ordered 35 tenders from Hattie B’s for 4 of us tonight. Using it to make hot chicken pizza, a hot chicken dip and saving a bunch in the freezer just to have on hand cause it’s great hangover food haha.

Attachments

• A8E33FFE-1F56-425A-9AE5-B8D5D03A94F8.jpeg
    A8E33FFE-1F56-425A-9AE5-B8D5D03A94F8.jpeg
    831.7 KB · Views: 197

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'll be interested to see how it compares with Haven Hot Chicken in New Haven. Looks like essentially the same concept, except that Haven Hot Chicken also offers a "Not Chicken" option made from cauliflower.

I gather they each must have done the same type of market research to determine that the populations they serve would prefer chicken breast, as opposed to thigh meat, which I prefer and which I think is more common in Nashville (and elsewhere in the south generally).

Reaction Score
There's an interesting history behind the Nashville Hot Chicken as well. Here's one of the many write-ups.

Reaction Score
I'll be interested to see how it compares with Haven Hot Chicken in New Haven. Looks like essentially the same concept, except that Haven Hot Chicken also offers a "Not Chicken" option made from cauliflower.

I gather they each must have done the same type of market research to determine that the populations they serve would prefer chicken breast, as opposed to thigh meat, which I prefer and which I think is more common in Nashville (and elsewhere in the south generally).
Fowl Play in the Parkville market uses Thigh Meat. Also very good.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
Went last Saturday and got the Hot Sando. Also some Hot and Medium tendies.
The Hot was really good but didn't cause any trouble for me with the heat.
Medium is probaby the way to go for casual eating. Tried the tendies with no sauce too and the crunch breading was delicious.

Meeting a buddy who is coming to town this week there. I'm going to order a single Code Breaker tendie to see what their limit is all about. My stomach and feelings are impervious to this kind of stuff so I'm looking forward to it.

A+ btw. Those crinkle fries have more edges to them than actual potato. Very good!

Reaction Score

I’ve had all 3 sandwiches at this point...

1) Birdcode - medium
2) Haven - medium
3) Fowl Play - hot

All 3 are solid but for me birdcode had the best flavor. Could go either way on Haven and Fowl Play at 2 or 3.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Fowl Play in the Parkville market uses Thigh Meat. Also very good.
Could have sworn when I tried it there it was breast meat and I was impressed how careful they were to nail the temperature on them so they didn’t overcook. I went with their Hot, one notch below “What the Cluck”... not sure how it compares to Nashville original but it was a damn good sandwich. Need to try a few other places now.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
We ordered 35 tenders from Hattie B’s for 4 of us tonight.
Went to Nashville for work a number of years ago and that's where one of our local emps took us. Easy walking distance from the hotel we stayed in. We got tenders at varying temps. Good stuff.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom