Binge Watching Suggestions? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Binge Watching Suggestions?

Reaction Score
Narcos - Just started watching, 2 episodes in, but I am not sure about keeping on. First, are all episodes narrated? It seemed like it would get to the point where the narration would stop and the show would carry on. Second, subtitles. I don't mind them once in a while but I don't like them full time. I get they are Colombian but let them speak English. I feel like I have to rewind every time I miss the last few words written.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We have one The Good Place episode left. It's an all-time great.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Atypical is fun - family trying to get by as their oldest son is finishing HS and living life with ASD. The parents marriage is falling apart and the younger daughter is often torn between pursuing her dreams and caring for her brother. But it’

I just started this series today. 3 episodes in, I'm really enjoying it so far.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Try this Golden Globe Award nominee from Amazon... HOMECOMING
An anthology series centered around the mysterious Geist Group, an unconventional wellness company and their equally unorthodox program, the Homecoming Initiative.
Season 1 - Heidi Bergman (Julia Roberts) is a caseworker at the Homecoming Transitional Support Center, a Geist Group facility helping soldiers transition back to civilian life. Walter Cruz (Stephan James) is one of these soldiers, eager to begin the next phase of his life.

Each episode is just a half-hour and slowly illuminates the story in bits and pieces. Kind of unusual filming style which I thought added to the ambiance of the story. Each episode also ended with me saying "NOOooooo" because I wanted more. Season 2 illuminates more of the background story from a different character's perspective. Very Bingeable.
Season 2 - A woman (Janelle Monae of "Hidden Figures") wakes up in a rowboat adrift on a river, but she has no memory of how she got there -- or even who she is. The search for her identity leads to the Geist Group, the mysterious wellness company behind the unorthodox Homecoming Initiative.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Narcos - Just started watching, 2 episodes in, but I am not sure about keeping on. First, are all episodes narrated? It seemed like it would get to the point where the narration would stop and the show would carry on. Second, subtitles. I don't mind them once in a while but I don't like them full time. I get they are Colombian but let them speak English. I feel like I have to rewind every time I miss the last few words written.

Narcos is one of my favorite shows ever put on television. I don't love subtitles either, but I won't blame the show because I should have paid more attention in high school Spanish.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I really enjoyed Binge watching Narcos (all of them) doing the quarantine in the spring.

Btw, just finished Mandalorian 2 season today and its an A+ .

Reaction Score
Narcos is one of my favorite shows ever put on television. I don't love subtitles either, but I won't blame the show because I should have paid more attention in high school Spanish.
I just finished Narcos: Mexico and glad I stuck with both series. Great shows. I had to pause often because I wanted to make sure I didn't miss any subtitles but I got used to it. I also found that their Spanish was much different than what I was supposed to learn which is expected since many of us don't clearly annunciate either.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I really enjoyed Binge watching Narcos (all of them) doing the quarantine in the spring.

Btw, just finished Mandalorian 2 season today and its an A+ .

+1 on the A+ for Mandalorian season 2. Season 3 has lots of storylines to advance and introduce. Should be fun.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We are halfway through Ted Lasso and I love it. The first show in a long time I'm thinking about stepping out on my sweetie and watching the rest while she's at work. It may be a bit too good-natured for some, I must admit.

Reaction Score
I'm enjoying Sherlock. Maybe most have seen it or it's not their cup of tea. I'm several episodes in, more than 1, less than 6. Each episode is 90 minutes long, 3 episodes a season, so it has the binge factor covered. The introduction of Moriarty was very clever.

1608601335530.png

Reaction Score
I like "New Tricks"all 12seasons are available on Prime. Each season has around 8 episodes. The series is set in Britain. Police detectives are brought out of retirement to solve open cases from the past. Good cast humor laced into interesting stories. I think the early seasons are better. Free if you have Prime.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I looked thru the thread, didn't see any mention of "The Unicorn." Walton Goggins is always great, this is a totally different role for him. Widower, father of 14 and 12 year old daughters, all of his friends won't leave him alone about getting out there and dating again after a year. Of course his dates are all disasters. The friends are well intentioned but usually just a pain in the butt. Rob Corddry and Michaela Watkins are both really good in supporting roles. 3 episodes in, each has been consistently funny. Streaming on Netflix.

Reaction Score
I've loved Big Mouth, but I'm also a fan of both Mulaney and Nick Kroll while also a middle school teacher so that's like a perfect cauldron for me to enjoy a show.

If you have an immature sense of humor but also appreciate smart comedy, then you might like Big Mouth.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Some others have reviewed the Morning Show on Apple TV. I got Apple TV free for a year because I got a new iPhone, so I gave it a try. This show is awesome through 3 episodes. Jennifer Aniston is perfect as the vapid, aging morning show host whose star is setting but she is hungry and ruthless enough to cling onto her life at all costs. Steve Carrell is her disgraced co-host who is somewhere between denial of what he did but realization that he doesn't want to be associated with the next class of creeps. I haven't figured out Witherspoon's character yet. Billy Crudup is awesome as usual as the network executive who thinks he is a lot smarter than he is. Mark Duplass (who I generally don't like) is perfect in his role as a guy who thinks he is smarter than everyone else but is actually way behind the times.

The reviews were critical of the show because it was not heavy enough. I think the Morning Show hits just the right level of seriousness about a bunch of people who do mostly pieces on cooking and human interest stories.

Think of this as a much better version of The Newsroom, without Sorkin's preachiness, bothsidesism or sexist plot arcs. All the characters on the Morning Show are interesting, complicated and imperfect, and their often bad decisions make this a very interesting show.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Very high recommendation for The Night Manager. This was a 2016 BBC miniseries based on a John LeCarre novel. Updated for the times. Really top notch, feels like a movie. Starring Tom Hiddleston (remarkably handsome) and Hugh Laurie, who is just brilliant as the baddie. Co-star Elizabeth Debicki as Hugh’s lady, all 6’3” of her. It’s a tall cast, except for poor Tom Hollander, who is good but looks even shorter than usual. Gets 91% on Rotten Tomatoes and deserves it. Utterly binge worthy with only 6 episodes.

Reaction Score
The wife & I finished Season I of Emily in Paris starring Phil Collins' daughter. Light hearted & crazy.
We just started the 2014 WGN series Manhattan now being offered on Hulu. It's about the scientists who produced the first atomic bombs. Very recognizable cast members including a pre-Mrs. Maisel Rachel Brosnahan. Rivoting.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Netflix series are fairly hit and miss. They've got a brand new one "Fate: The Winx Saga." I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying it. Kind of a CW feel to it, but not quite as cheesy. Angsty teen drama with supernatural elements. It's set at a special school for faeries that all have powers over one of the elements (earth, air, water, fire, mind). They aren't wizards and it's not Harry Potter, okay? I guess it's an adaptation of a Nickelodeon cartoon, I had zero knowledge of the source material. The cast is all completely unknown to me, but they seem talented enough. Only 6 episodes.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Has anybody watched The Night Stalker? Not the classic TV show, but the 2020 true crime docuseries on Netflix. Netflix has really found a niche with these. This one is good, and fortunately, only 5 episodes. Easy to binge. As always they tell the story of the people who devoted time to solving it, and the victims, but fortunately they don't go too far overboard. It helps that the two main detectives are pretty likable guys. One of the scariest serial killers aside from Manson.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I thought "The Stranger" was worth a binge. 8 episodes, watched it over 2 days. Kinda convoluted plot, slowly all the layers unfolded. Seemed like one huge plot point wasn't wrapped up at all, or maybe I missed something?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
We started watching Snowpiercer on HBO. Based on the movie, which was just OK at best. Stars Jennifer Connelly, who is way too thin, looks older than she is, and is no longer the best looking woman in Hollywood. She's good though. If you saw the movie, the premise is the same. Global warming caused humans to try to cool things down, and we screwed up and ushered in a new ice age. Oops. Some eclectic genius billionaire named Wilton created a perpetual motion train that goes around the world endlessly. It's 1001 cars long, with 3 official classes and "tailies" who stormed the train and boarded without tickets as it was set to go. Aside from those on the train, Earth is lifeless.

Once you get past the basic question "a train, really?", it's a story of society, class, privilege, and personal drama within that society. In that sense, the show far exceeds the movie, which didn't have enough time to explore it. Is there a lot or irrational stupidity? Yes. At one time, I might think people didn't behave that way. But increasingly, we clearly do. It's not great, but it's not bad really. Best if binged or at least if you continue watching without long pauses in the story. There are some resemblances to The 100 (which I liked), and really the last humans being out on a space ship/ark isn't much different than on a train/ark.

Reaction Score
Westworld
I'm on my second attempt and on season 2 episode 3. It is difficult to follow at times but I am going to make it through this time.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
River was on Netflix, but I think it is on Amazon Prime now. It is a short series (maybe 6 episodes about an investigator played by Stellan Skarsgard. Really good. I didn't want it to end.

Chernobyl is a MUST watch on HBO.

I like Billions, especially the first 3 seasons.

Reaction Score
Seinfeld
Curb your enthusiasm
Fawlty Towers
Futurama
Bob's burgers
The increasingly poor decisions of Todd Margaret
Fresh meat
Peep show
Chappelle's show
The Inbetweeners (UK version)
Sherlock (UK version)
King of the Hill
Undergrads
Breaking Bad
Doug
Pete and Pete
Daria
Lost
Everybody loves Raymond
Freaks and geeks
Keeping up appearances
Locked up abroad
Rick and Morty

Reaction Score
Has anybody watched The Night Stalker? Not the classic TV show, but the 2020 true crime docuseries on Netflix. Netflix has really found a niche with these. This one is good, and fortunately, only 5 episodes. Easy to binge. As always they tell the story of the people who devoted time to solving it, and the victims, but fortunately they don't go too far overboard. It helps that the two main detectives are pretty likable guys. One of the scariest serial killers aside from Manson.
I've always been fascinated with this case so of course watched the series. The detectives are great and Richard Ramirez is the scariest person who ever lived, he even looks incredibly scary.

Watching Cecil Hotel now, beyond all the glitz LA is such a dark and frightening place.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom