Binge Watching Suggestions? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Binge Watching Suggestions?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I've always been fascinated with this case so of course watched the series. The detectives are great and Richard Ramirez is the scariest person who ever lived, he even looks incredibly scary.

Watching Cecil Hotel now, beyond all the glitz LA is such a dark and frightening place.

I was about to put Cecil hotel on my list. Worth it?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Someone mentioned this back in like 2019, but haven't seen it mentioned since. It's a Starz series, "Counterpart" that ran for two seasons. Now on Prime. JK Simmons is the lead x2. Olivia Williams is his wife x2. The x2 is because the show is about parallel worlds created circa 1990 from an experiment gone awry, and how the two worlds have diverged despite everyone being exactly the same up until 1990. There is a portal between the two, diplomats have crossing privileges and use those for nefarious dealings, and almost no one, except the two JK Simmons are who they seem. It's wild and well worth the watch.

Reaction Score
A good, under the radar, sitcom from a few years back is Party Down. It was originally on Starz I think, but can now be streamed on Hulu. Great ensemble cast with Adam Scott as the lead and many other familiar faces make appearances. Only two seasons, but plenty of good laughs.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Sex Education on Netflix. I just finished Season 2. It's pretty raunchy at times, both language and some visuals. I'll just get that out of the way. And some of the characters and scenarios drove me crazy. But I absolutely loved several of the characters and overall found it well worth watching. A few recognizable faces like Asa Butterfield, Gillian Anderson and James Purefoy. But it was the previously unknown actors to me that really carried it, especially Emma Mackey and Aimee Lou Wood.

Anderson is Butterfield's mom, Purefoy his dad. They are divorced. Anderson is a sex and relationship therapist, who of course is fairly neurotic. Butterfield is even more neurotic. Somehow w/ Mackey's help he ends up running a money making op at school giving sex and relationship advice to his peers. He gives good advice, but on a personal level he's clueless and inept.

It's sometimes hilarious, sometimes heartbreaking, and sometimes uplifting.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I watched umbrella academy.

It’s ok.

The heroes are really broken, like in “the boys” but not the same way.

If you like superheroes and time travel you might enjoy it

Reaction Score
Just finished the first season of #blackAF on Netflix. Really liked it and if you like Curb then you might like this show.

Similar to Curb, Kenya Barris plays Kenya Barris (the character) and both the character/real person are comedy writers/producers who grew up in Inglewood, now rich with a wife and six kids.

Also similar to Larry David in Curb, Kenya Barris is an insecure, egotistic and pathetic guy who often has hilarious rants about life's banalities as well as the hardships of black history and how it shapes the financially successful.

My favorite character is the 2nd oldest child, "who directs and produces" the show as a portfolio to get into Tisch-NYU. She's played by Iman Benson, an actress who I'm sure is poised for some bigger roles as an adult.

The acting isn't super good, most notably Rashida Jones, who I usually really like but I don't believe her character often. However, I enjoyed the show and would watch a second season. Pretty funny. I'd give it a B-.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Get Even on Netflix was a quick watch, I enjoyed it. Private academy somewhere in the UK. 4 girls who are in different social circles have formed an anonymous group that takes down bullies. Their latest mark turns up dead and they get framed, and it goes from there.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I watched umbrella academy.

It’s ok.

The heroes are really broken, like in “the boys” but not the same way.

If you like superheroes and time travel you might enjoy it

I like The Boys better, but Umbrella Academy is still pretty good.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I like The Boys better, but Umbrella Academy is still pretty good.

I mean, I’m not a huge time travel fan without a delorean...and they break every single time travel rule doing it. Lol

Luther and five are my favorites

And damn that cliffhanger for s2 was great. Best part of s2 imo. I’m seemingly the rare person who preferred s1 to s2

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Did Schittsville.on Newflix as well as the Aussie show Offspring and the British show The IT Crowd. For each get through the first two episodes and they are off beat but often hilarious.
I found The IT Crowd to be hysterical.
I just finished binging Letterkenny on Hulu. It's about a small Canadian town. It's a different kind of comedy and you have to learn the characters, but like the ones you mentioned, you need to get through the first couple of episodes.

Reaction Score
We are halfway through Ted Lasso and I love it. The first show in a long time I'm thinking about stepping out on my sweetie and watching the rest while she's at work. It may be a bit too good-natured for some, I must admit.
I just watched the first 6 episodes in the last 24 hours.

The story isn’t unique. It’s not hilarious. There’s no real great acting performances (like Queens Gambit). But it’s really really good so far. Sudekis is pulling it off for me.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The original run of Miami Vice (Free on the NBC app.)

I was 7 when it first came out, but my brother never missed an episode.

I just got done with the Pilot (Brother's Keeper). It's pretty mature for a 7 year old, even in the mid '80s. My mid 40s might be a good time to give the other 111 episodes a go.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I just got done with the Pilot (Brother's Keeper). It's pretty mature for a 7 year old, even in the mid '80s. My mid 40s might be a good time to give the other 111 episodes a go.

The plot lines aren't earth shattering.

Fun to watch for cameos by not yet well known actors, and for the rock and roll crossovers.

Reaction Score

Watched it very sporadically but from what I remember it was great because it was different, kind of combining MTV with drama. A show I find entertaining is Burn Notice which also takes place in Miami. With Gabrielle Anwar you got no complaints.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Miami Vice would have been considered one of the best shows in television history if it had been on cable. The show's first 2 or 3 seasons were incredible, and then the show jumped more sharks than I could keep track of. The plot lines got increasingly ridiculous until I think there was a season where one of the lead characters was a double agent for a gang, or something. I had given up on the show long before that.

Being a network show ruined it.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The plot lines aren't earth shattering.

Fun to watch for cameos by not yet well known actors, and for the rock and roll crossovers.

Miami Vice would have been considered one of the best shows in television history if it had been on cable. The show's first 2 or 3 seasons were incredible, and then the show jumped more sharks than I could keep track of. The plot lines got increasingly ridiculous until I think there was a season where one of the lead characters was a double agent for a gang, or something. I had given up on the show long before that.

Being a network show ruined it.

As a mid-80s drama, it needs to be viewed as a period piece.

The action is pretty good, but it is ridiculously dated, and the acting is a bit subpar. In other words, a Michael Mann masterpiece ;) .

Husky25

Reaction Score
Less than two years before the Miami Heat tipped off their existence.

Reaction Score
Geez. I didn't realize this was from episode 1-1.

The "In the Air Tonight" scene is arguably the most memorable and famous scene from the Miami Vice television series, and is regularly cited as one of the greatest, most influential moments in the history of television. It occurs in the pilot episode "Brother's Keeper", or, when the episode is split into two parts as it often is for syndication, "Brother's Keeper (Part II)".

"In the Air Tonight" Scene | Miami Vice Wiki | Fandom

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Geez. I didn't realize this was from episode 1-1.

The "In the Air Tonight" scene is arguably the most memorable and famous scene from the Miami Vice television series, and is regularly cited as one of the greatest, most influential moments in the history of television. It occurs in the pilot episode "Brother's Keeper", or, when the episode is split into two parts as it often is for syndication, "Brother's Keeper (Part II)".

"In the Air Tonight" Scene | Miami Vice Wiki | Fandom

It changed TV. Shot on location, like a movie. Arial shots, deep panoramic shots. Music woven throughout. While it wasn’t a serial at first, it became one and the plots got more complex. It gave birth to those shows “on cable” that @nelsonmuntz mentioned. That concept didn’t even exist before Miami Vice. Even TV miniseries of that era looked like low budget crap compared to Miami Vice. Michael Mann give birth to a new level of TV. Way ahead of its time. MV started in 85. Sopranos was almost 15 years later in 1999.

I think Evan was perhaps the best episode.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom