Billions | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Billions

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Connerty is not done. Guy is full on angry now. Maybe he gets Oliver involved.

Looks like Conerty is in fact done.

Chuck and Axe are behaving like complete idiots that will get themselves back into trouble a lot quicker than they got out of it.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Looks like Conerty is in fact done.

Chuck and Axe are behaving like complete idiots that will get themselves back into trouble a lot quicker than they got out of it.

Done at the AGs for sure. But he still could have a role to play. I wonder if he'll manage to trip up Chuck in the future, mirroring Chuck trying to trip up Axe in the past. A stretch, I admit. Perhaps he'll go work for Orrin Bach (and therefore Axe) and be against Chuck in that capacity.

Wendy's move was strong in this episode. I liked that.

Reaction Score
Done at the AGs for sure. But he still could have a role to play. I wonder if he'll manage to trip up Chuck in the future, mirroring Chuck trying to trip up Axe in the past. A stretch, I admit. Perhaps he'll go work for Orrin Bach (and therefore Axe) and be against Chuck in that capacity.

Wendy's move was strong in this episode. I liked that.

I was going to say all this. Chuck always overextends himself with his grudges. This isn’t over.

Reaction Score
The Wilburys episode was tremendous, tour de force for Wendy and hopefully the last of Lara!

Not as high on Malkovic's introduction and character, but I definitely admire what they are doing between this & Jock Jeffcoat. Without the governorship run, maybe Chuck veers back into more pure good guy as they are absolutely trying to move Axe to a way darker side? Nonetheless, they've made Malkovic one dimensional so I doubt he bests Axe. Maybe Taylor saves Axe's bacon.
Does Conerty and the FBI go after both Axe and Chuck?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Does Conerty and the FBI go after both Axe and Chuck?

He was lying through his teeth in the interview. Well maybe he just learned to play the game. He'll follow in lock step to get hired and go along, but I think he's going after Chuck. And he's learned that he's got to have ALL his ducks in a row before striking.

Reaction Score
He was lying through his teeth in the interview. Well maybe he just learned to play the game. He'll follow in lock step to get hired and go along, but I think he's going after Chuck. And he's learned that he's got to have ALL his ducks in a row before striking.
Yeah, but Conerty is not near the protagonist even on the Chuck/Feds side of the ledger. He might get Chuck dead to rights but then Conerty will be bought & sold by the judge or somebody else on the grift. I think this mainly because the show is called Billions :)

Reaction Score
Yeah, but Conerty is not near the protagonist even on the Chuck/Feds side of the ledger. He might get Chuck dead to rights but then Conerty will be bought & sold by the judge or somebody else on the grift. I think this mainly because the show is called Billions :)

This. Conerty is the schmuck without big time power and/or money that tries to do the right thing and just spends his life as roadkill.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
While I like both Axe and Chuck story lines, this is like two different shows now. Not sure how they bring it back together.

The fundraising storyline is an exaggeration of what people in that industry go through, and is well done. Malkovich dusted off his Teddy KGB character for this, but it is still fun to watch. In the real world, Axe wouldn't do business with someone like Andolov, but I like the arc so I will let it go.

The AG's scam is pretty complex for a TV show. I was a little surprised they threw that in without a lot more explanation.

Reaction Score
While I like both Axe and Chuck story lines, this is like two different shows now. Not sure how they bring it back together.

The fundraising storyline is an exaggeration of what people in that industry go through, and is well done. Malkovich dusted off his Teddy KGB character for this, but it is still fun to watch. In the real world, Axe wouldn't do business with someone like Andolov, but I like the arc so I will let it go.

The AG's scam is pretty complex for a TV show. I was a little surprised they threw that in without a lot more explanation.
I think the writer's politics are getting in the way a bit (and I agree with their politics!). I don't understand how the S. District NY AG would ever think he can take down Jock Jeffcoat for things going on nationally and in TX. They are down a bit of a rabbit hole there.
The Axe stuff is much better and its interesting to watch him teeter on edge and decide what is ethical to him and where his line is. Its mostly still at 'no ego/pride swallowing' but there's a whiff of him seeing a broader view looming.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I think the writer's politics are getting in the way a bit (and I agree with their politics!). I don't understand how the S. District NY AG would ever think he can take down Jock Jeffcoat for things going on nationally and in TX. They are down a bit of a rabbit hole there.
The Axe stuff is much better and its interesting to watch him teeter on edge and decide what is ethical to him and where his line is. Its mostly still at 'no ego/pride swallowing' but there's a whiff of him seeing a broader view looming.

I don't think the SDNY AG would think that either. But Chuck is nuts.

Reaction Score
I don't think the SDNY AG would think that either. But Chuck is nuts.
And yet I was nervous for him changing that tire. That dinner subplot really was a snooze that went nowhere, whereas on the Axe Cap side the 'its getting hot in here' scene was tremendous.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I really hope neither Damien Lewis, nor Paul Giamatti have done anything in their past to become wrapped up in the #Metoo movement. I already struggle with wanting to, but not bringing myself to watch the last two seasons of House of Cards. It would also render Band of Brothers, Billions, Sideways, Private Parts, John Adams, and potentially Homeland unviewable.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I wouldn't say it was political so much as ego, although that plot line would have been a little more interesting if the reason Chuck went after Jeffcoat was a little less black and white. The S. District NY AG is an incredibly powerful position, so that part of the story is not that unreasonable. I believe Giuliani was one, and under normal circumstances, firing Preet Brahrara would be a very big deal.

Both Axe and Chuck are very self destructive, which is fun to watch this season. They are both going down roads where they will end up in way over their heads.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't say it was political so much as ego, although that plot line would have been a little more interesting if the reason Chuck went after Jeffcoat was a little less black and white. The S. District NY AG is an incredibly powerful position, so that part of the story is not that unreasonable. I believe Giuliani was one, and under normal circumstances, firing Preet Brahrara would be a very big deal.

Both Axe and Chuck are very self destructive, which is fun to watch this season. They are both going down roads where they will end up in way over their heads.
I think in terms of the show the reason is Jeffcoat is enforcing systematic racism, obviously a political commentary on the current world. In terms of Chuck he doesn't like to be told exactly what to do especially if he disagrees with it. There should be a conversation between Chuck & Wendy or Chuck + someone (his Dad?) about how he gave up the governor hunt to wield power, yet finds himself trapped without power and doing the bidding of the more powerful and the corrupt. Fighting against that power says this of course, but it'd be worthwhile to see his motivation a little better. Whereas for Axe, notwithstanding the Mommy visits its been crystal clear, ego + $.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
...but you see, there are no blow jobs...in a federal case.

-Chuck Rhoades

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
So at what point are we going to get dominatrix Wendy taking it hard from Axe while Chuck is watching while in restraints with a Ball gag?

Reaction Score
So at what point are we going to get dominatrix Wendy taking it hard from Axe while Chuck is watching while in restraints with a Ball gag?

The only answer to your question is whenever Wendy feels like it.

August_West

Reaction Score
Good ending to the season.

It was.

I wasn't surprised. But maybe I wasnt supposed to be? Saw that turn on chcuk coming a mile away

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It was.

I wasn't surprised. But maybe I wasnt supposed to be? Saw that turn on chcuk coming a mile away

It was clear that these two were going down hard by episode 5 this season.

Reaction Score
I thought Chuck would win v. Jeffcoat and then become the AG and go after Axe again. I missed that one.

The Taylor thing I saw coming.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I thought Chuck with win v. Jeffcoat and then become the AG and go after Axe again. I missed that one.

Well obviously with Taylor they showed it to us initial/seed via the quant basement and then explicitly with the actual sign, it would have been a twist if that was all somehow a ruse to get more money out of Axe. Also when Wendy repeated Taylor's line verbatim to Axe I found that very odd an atypical of both the show and Wendy. Obviously done to jam home the point Wendy was being manipulated.

It'll be interesting to see where they go with Taylor. I'd prefer the show continues to give Taylor the moral high ground and they live or die on the data/analytics game theory hill. That being tested and maybe breaking down at the Everest altitudes will be interesting, but please don't make them a heal to justify the audience rooting for Axe.

With Jeffcoat I'd almost prefer now to see Connerty go after him and Chuck fade out of that picture (let Chuck become GC for Axe Cap, go after Jeffcoat's money not position ). Dake & Connerty are really going to have problems working for Jeffcoat. Those two objected to Chuck's breaking rules to get the bad guys, so making up rules to rig the system for the rich and take advantage of & punish minorities isn't going to fly with either of them.

The show really has created quite a rich universe of characters we care about.

Reaction Score
I thought Chuck would win v. Jeffcoat and then become the AG and go after Axe again. I missed that one.

We all knew Taylor was spinning off. I was shocked how much damage they caused by doing so. In real life, the new up and comer leaving a truly large and well thought of fund doesn't cause all the money to follow the up and comer.

Reaction Score
Well obviously with Taylor they showed it to us initial/seed via the quant basement and then explicitly with the actual sign, it would have been a twist if that was all somehow a ruse to get more money out of Axe. Also when Wendy repeated Taylor's line verbatim to Axe I found that very odd an atypical of both the show and Wendy. Obviously done to jam home the point Wendy was being manipulated.

It'll be interesting to see where they go with Taylor. I'd prefer the show continues to give Taylor the moral high ground and they live or die on the data/analytics game theory hill. That being tested and maybe breaking down at the Everest altitudes will be interesting, but please don't make them a heal to justify the audience rooting for Axe.

With Jeffcoat I'd almost prefer now to see Connerty go after him and Chuck fade out of that picture (let Chuck become GC for Axe Cap, go after Jeffcoat's money not position ). Dake & Connerty are really going to have problems working for Jeffcoat. Those two objected to Chuck's breaking rules to get the bad guys, so making up rules to rig the system for the rich and take advantage of & punish minorities isn't going to fly with either of them.

The show really has created quite a rich universe of characters we care about.

Eh. My only interest in Connerty was when they showed him in the bedroom with his scantily clad flight attendant girlfriend.

August_West

Reaction Score
We all knew Taylor was spinning off. I was shocked how much damage they caused by doing so. In real life, the new up and comer leaving a truly large and well thought of fund doesn't cause all the money to follow the up and comer.

No.

But they've positioned Taylor as more of an Oracle than a simple up and comer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom