Bill Self | The Boneyard

Bill Self

Reaction Score
I will start this off by saying that I know Bill Self is in the hall of fame, and if Bill Self retired tomorrow, he does not have anything else to prove to anybody from a basketball perspective, but this guy is not a big time coach. Hes getting blown out by 25 at the half vs Auburn, he got blown out by Villanova last year in the Final Four, he got upset by Northern Iowa in the second round in 2010. I know he dominates the regular season and the Big 12 which is hard to do, and hes still youg with a lot of years left to redeem himself, but hes had a lot of failures in March for somebody whos supposed to be a big time hall of fame coach.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I don't think he has lost as many early games as K but K has more NCs
But Kansas has had the benefit of playing their league vs ACC and B1G
Auburn could beat any team playing like this

Reaction Score
One of his best coaching jobs was actually one of his first years coaching, getting that Tulsa team (2000) to the elite 8 and if I remember correctly, they were a few points away from a FF berth (edit: lost to UNC 59-55).

He has a championship, a finals loss, two other final fours, 7 elite 8s and 3 sweet 16s to his name. All coaches not named Wright, Calhoun, Cal, K, Izzo, Williams, Wooden, Rupp, Donovan or Smith (because they have better records) would take that stat line in a heartbeat. Granted in 2010, 2014 and 2015 he had second round flame outs but for the most part, coaches would love to have his track record. (47-19 in tournament play vs Jim Calhouns 48-14 record in the NCAA tournament as Uconn coach).

edit: How about the combined 12 makes in a row to start the second half. Who will miss first?

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
His team is outgunned here. Auburn is playing fantastic basketball, making everything and playing their usual great D. Do people not realize that this Kansas team isn’t the same one that was top 10 early in the year? He actually did a really good job with a depleted roster the second half of the year. They are starting four freshmen, and none of them are Zion.

Reaction Score
His team is outgunned here. Auburn is playing fantastic basketball, making everything and playing their usual great D. Do people not realize that this Kansas team isn’t the same one that was top 10 early in the year? He actually did a really good job with a depleted roster the second half of the year. They are starting four freshmen, and none of them are Zion.
He has had too many early flameouts with stacked teams but this certainly isn't the year to go after him. Started 4 freshmen, lost a beast in Doke, senior leader/best player Vick, and a bench player. Self is also coming off one of his best coaching jobs last year.

Reaction Score
It doesn’t help when 6 of your 16 seasons (38%) ends in losses to teams seeded 5 spots or more lower than you. For all the teeth-gnashing Roy got, he only did it 3 times in his 15 years in Lawrence.

Self has a title and this season’s on-court performance wasn’t something to hold against him much (though the off-court issues were large and very much something to hold him to account for). But certainly his staff is in need of a shakeup at minimum.

Reaction Score
the title he won against Calipari and Memphis is because paypal does not practice free throw shooting.

Reaction Score
He has had too many early flameouts with stacked teams but this certainly isn't the year to go after him. Started 4 freshmen, lost a beast in Doke, senior leader/best player Vick, and a bench player. Self is also coming off one of his best coaching jobs last year.
Please stop. He is subpoenaed by the FBI. This is a great year to go after him. I agree that this year's team isn't as good as in the past but he still deserves any criticism that comes his way.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
The losses to northern Iowa and Vcu were particularly egregious.

Those 2 teams were loaded

Reaction Score
Maybe it’s just an illusion but hasn’t he had a ton of talent to work with? Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina and Kansas. Winning his conference title most of the time when you have those highly ranked players is eh.

Reaction Score
8 Elite Eights in 16 years at Kansas is nuts. 10 over his last 20 years as a coach. Its really hard to win in the NCAA tournament, like, really hard.

I'm sure the 'yard will feel the same about Dan Hurley if he leads us to a 38-15 NCAA record with 3 Final Fours and a championship over the next 16 years, while being in the Elite Eight (on average) every other year?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
8 Elite Eights in 16 years at Kansas is nuts. 10 over his last 20 years as a coach. Its really hard to win in the NCAA tournament, like, really hard.

I'm sure the 'yard will feel the same about Dan Hurley if he leads us to a 38-15 NCAA record with 3 Final Fours and a championship over the next 16 years, while being in the Elite Eight (on average) every other year?
Yeah right now I'll take a second round loss over what we got now.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Maybe it’s just an illusion but hasn’t he had a ton of talent to work with? Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina and Kansas. Winning his conference title most of the time when you have those highly ranked players is eh.

Sort of. Josh Jackson, Andrew Wiggins, Joel Embiid, Ben McLemore. Dotson and Grimes last year. But guys like Frank Mason and Devonte Graham were 3 stars. He’s also had a ton of highly rated guys who never actually played. They don’t get Duke Kentucky type classes.

Reaction Score
Auburn squeaks by New Mexico State by 1 in first round and them kills Kansas.

Go figure.

Reaction Score
Please stop. He is subpoenaed by the FBI. This is a great year to go after him. I agree that this year's team isn't as good as in the past but he still deserves any criticism that comes his way.
I'm talking about his coaching this year not whether he is paying players just as I was talking about Izzo yelling at a player and not his thoughts on Larry Nassar. Try and keep up.

Reaction Score
Don’t be too down on yourself. No one in history outside Sam Gilbert have gotten Duke/Kentucky recent type classes. Kansas has been at the top outside those two , signing more top 10 talent and producing more OADs in this era. To be fair they’ve sometimes had issues getting to play said talent, though also to be fair much of that is a calculated gamble on Self’s part.

Kansas is perfectly good under Self. But perfectly good means a borderline top 5 program since 2004 which has seen UConn and Villanova approach (or surpass) their title count.

Reaction Score
I'm not a Self fan but winning the Big 12 regular season title 14 straight seasons is nothing to sneeze at.

Reaction Score
I'm not a Self fan but winning the Big 12 regular season title 14 straight seasons is nothing to sneeze at.
It isn’t, but it’s meaning is very much limited for non-B12 programs. Kansas couldn’t have done it in any conference but the B12, so it’s impact is less. It is a perfect stat to shut up Oklahoma fans though.

Reaction Score
He didn't have 2 of his top 3 scorers. With Azubuike and Vick this team is 2x as good and a serious contender.

Reaction Score
Just throwing this out there. Anyone who doesn't know he is has no self awareness.

Reaction Score
I'm talking about his coaching this year not whether he is paying players just as I was talking about Izzo yelling at a player and not his thoughts on Larry Nassar. Try and keep up.
It really isn't that hard to keep up with you and both Izzo and Self deserve any criticism that comes their way, especially on a message board. You telling people to stop voicing their opinions on here is what needs to stop.

Reaction Score
what annoys me is their rock chalk jayhawk chant i read how it originated but it still drives me nuts when i hear that

Reaction Score
He didn't have 2 of his top 3 scorers. With Azubuike and Vick this team is 2x as good and a serious contender.

I’m sure superjohn the Boneyard cop will say this is stupid but it wasn’t exactly a huge secret in Lawrence that Self didn’t really want Vick back this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom