Big10 38 Year of WCBB | The Boneyard

Big10 38 Year of WCBB

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Number 3 on my list of conferences is the Big 10. As a refresher, I did an assessment of what defines a “good basketball history” as posted by some fans of teams that wanted to put some statistics around it. I decided that success in their league was pre-eminent so I decided to look at 5 variables:

• How many Conference Tournament Finals did a team make (win or runner up)?
  • How many Regular season titles did they win or come in 2nd?
  • What is the Conf. Tournament winning percentage?
  • What is the Conf. Regular season winning percentage?
  • What is the combined Tournament and Regular season winning percentage?
These 5 variables are a good tool to assess relative strength to your direct peers, which leads to your satisfaction as a fan and a feeling your team has a good WCBB History.

The Big 10 is similar to the PAC-12 in that they did not hold a conference tournament for 13 years and relied on the regular season champ to represent them in the NCAAT. They have been around since 1981-82 season. The Big 10 added Penn State in 1992-93 with Nebraska joining in 2011-12 and Maryland/Rutgers coming in 2014-15. For the most part, Ohio State has been the absolute dominant power in this conference with .672 Win percentage, 28 top 2 finishes (21 shared or outright titles and another 7- 2nd place finishes in either the Regular season/Tournament. This is a staggering 44% of the opportunities. Second on the list was Purdue with 27 top 2’s (16 titles and 11-2nd) with .639 Win %. Iowa has the 2nd best win% at .657 but only 20 top 2 finishes. Penn State is 4th on the list with 10 titles and 9 more top 2 finishes.

Now let’s talk about the here and now, Maryland has exerted its complete control over this conference with 7 titles and 3 second place finishes in the 5 years. Its conference winning percent is .916.

To me, as an observer of the history, the Big 10 has been the most dismal of the P5 in WCBB and maybe the addition of Maryland along with Ohio State can propel this curious lot to more national success. Of other note is that Michigan has had a dreadful history .352 Win% that really shows how good a job Kim Barnes Arico has done with a .563% in 7 years.

Here’s the data so have at it.

1571116481718.png

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Number 3 on my list of conferences is the Big 10. As a refresher, I did an assessment of what defines a “good basketball history” as posted by some fans of teams that wanted to put some statistics around it. I decided that success in their league was pre-eminent so I decided to look at 5 variables:

• How many Conference Tournament Finals did a team make (win or runner up)?
  • How many Regular season titles did they win or come in 2nd?
  • What is the Conf. Tournament winning percentage?
  • What is the Conf. Regular season winning percentage?
  • What is the combined Tournament and Regular season winning percentage?
These 5 variables are a good tool to assess relative strength to your direct peers, which leads to your satisfaction as a fan and a feeling your team has a good WCBB History.

The Big 10 is similar to the PAC-12 in that they did not hold a conference tournament for 13 years and relied on the regular season champ to represent them in the NCAAT. They have been around since 1981-82 season. The Big 10 added Penn State in 1992-93 with Nebraska joining in 2011-12 and Maryland/Rutgers coming in 2014-15. For the most part, Ohio State has been the absolute dominant power in this conference with .672 Win percentage, 28 top 2 finishes (21 shared or outright titles and another 7- 2nd place finishes in either the Regular season/Tournament. This is a staggering 44% of the opportunities. Second on the list was Purdue with 27 top 2’s (16 titles and 11-2nd) with .639 Win %. Iowa has the 2nd best win% at .657 but only 20 top 2 finishes. Penn State is 4th on the list with 10 titles and 9 more top 2 finishes.

Now let’s talk about the here and now, Maryland has exerted its complete control over this conference with 7 titles and 3 second place finishes in the 5 years. Its conference winning percent is .916.

To me, as an observer of the history, the Big 10 has been the most dismal of the P5 in WCBB and maybe the addition of Maryland along with Ohio State can propel this curious lot to more national success. Of other note is that Michigan has had a dreadful history .352 Win% that really shows how good a job Kim Barnes Arico has done with a .563% in 7 years.

Here’s the data so have at it.

View attachment 47186

Pretty shocking to see that Wisconsin has never really even threatened to win the B1G. They had some good teams in the 90s and early 00s but for whatever reason, they havent been able to put it together. They also were steadily top 5 in the nation for attendance back in the day before the program went south.

All of their hires have looked really good on paper but havent been able to get results. The school has had immense success in most other sports (volleyball, hockey, football, men's basketball) and in theory, it should be an easy school to recruit to since it is a great college town and has a pretty big fan base.

Looking at the conference, most of the success was in the 90s and early 00's when programs like Iowa, Penn State and Purdue were at their peak. Other programs like MSU and Minnesota had some good NCAA runs but werent able to find consistent success. The bottom feeder crew of UW, Michigan, Indiana, Northwestern and Illinois have never threatened to be top dog in conference or make a deep tournament run. Indiana and Michigan have had more success as of late but the conference has pretty clearly been the weakest of the P5 with only 1 title to show in 38 years.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Yes it does. Now where did I put that board?
@TerpWomenFan I did reach out to NaN To move it right after I posted it as I I thought I was in the General Board room. It was late, I was also trying to correct my earlier calculation for the SEC and PAC12 stats so I posted in the wrong section, I apologize. Nice to know both of you want to be picayune on the location without any comment about the content but such is life on this board with all the perfectionists. Head bang

Reaction Score
@TerpWomenFan I did reach out to NaN To move it right after I posted it as I I thought I was in the General Board room. It was late, I was also trying to correct my earlier calculation for the SEC and PAC12 stats so I posted in the wrong section, I apologize. Nice to know both of you want to be picayune on the location without any comment about the content but such is life on this board with all the perfectionists. Head bang
I was actually looking for this on the General Board but was surprised it was here. Thanks for the effort though. Really good job.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashfan

Top Bottom