BIG TEN Regular Season | Page 5 | The Boneyard

BIG TEN Regular Season

Reaction Score
Just found how it's being analyzed to be a bit over the top. Fans of all sports do it but for some reason, this one caught my attention. Reminds me of something during the NFL season, where Patriots fans and some media were using the SkyCam wires as a reason why their QB threw an interception.

It's hard to see what some are claiming to have happened (e.g. the MSU player causing it, player acting, etc.) based on the footage. Thought the announcers did a decent job explaining what the refs were looking for, nor did they make it sound like Clark did anything intentional.

It's not as bad as they are making it seem and like I said, the term intentional is being taken too literally. There's no need for the multiple theories being bandied about. Clark's honour doesn't need to be defended.
Thanks for the explanation. I was kind of curious to see the Iowa fans perspective on the situation but, like you said, fans can take things to a whole different level sometimes. Plus, with players doing all of this flopping these days, every little touch or bump is dang near cause for a review.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the explanation. I was kind of curious to see the Iowa fans perspective on the situation but, like you said, fans can take things to a whole different level sometimes. Plus, with players doing all of this flopping these days, every little touch or bump is dang near cause for a review.
Exactly. Conversely, there are fans who think Clark gets away with a lot of push offs and acting. Everyone has their perspective, however some are a little more over the top than others.

Reaction Score
Pretty entertaining game, Iowa/Ohio State. Thought the Ohio State press was going to eat the Hawkeyes alive there in the 3rd quarter but they pulled it together to get that big road win. Clark with a triple double, because of course she did. The more I see of Hawk's freshman Hannah Stuelke the more I like her. She's really stepped it up in league play , she's a heck of rebounder. Three Hawks with double figure rebounds and out rebounded Ohio State 51-31.

Reaction Score
Michigan vs Indiana was also a pretty entertaining game. Both teams played so well offensively. It's interesting to see Michigan struggle so much defensively. Iowa and Indiana both put up 90 plus on them. Grace Berger really picked her spots. Leigha Brown vs CMM was great to watch. I saw Sara Scalia hit 28 footers a bunch last season, so part of me thinks yesterday was her regressing to the mean. But then I do see that she's always been a sub 40 percent shooter so I'm not sure what to expect moving forward.

Reaction Score
Thursday's Big Ten game of tOSU @ Indiana is certainly "must watch" tv. But I don't see a listing for it yet. ????

Reaction Score

Another early enrollee. Per the announcement, she's not expected to play this season.

This one I don't understand. She's transferred twice in HS, returning to Canada to play for King's of the OSBA. Now leaves the program with play-offs due in another month. Why (rhetorically)?

Would have been better off staying at Webb School if this was going to be the plan in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Thanks. https://the-boneyard.com/members/cancontent.10709/ for the info. I saw that she left the Webb school but didn't know where she went afterwards. Welcome to College Park Summer. I guess she'll get an early start to her college career.
Your welcome and apologies for my curmudgeon-like tone. I'm not a fan of transferring high schools for prep ball reasons, especially considering her situation. She was with a good program at Lincoln Prep, which is run by Kia Nurse's father. She then attended Webb for 2 years and returned to Canada to play at King's Christian. As she had already committed to Maryland before returning to Canada, the move has been a headscratcher to me.

Bostock is a talented player and was seen to be one of the top 2023 players from Canada, especially when she was younger. It will be interesting to see how she fares at Maryland as there's a significant amount of depth at her position on the roster and the incoming 2023 class.

Reaction Score
Bostock is a talented player and was seen to be one of the top 2023 players from Canada, especially when she was younger. It will be interesting to see how she fares at Maryland as there's a significant amount of depth at her position on the roster and the incoming 2023 class.
Thanks again. In the 2023 class for the Terps, they signed two other 6'1" players in Riley Nelson (an All American) and 6'1" Emily Fischer who will be first team all state and maybe Illinois state player of the year. Those two young ladies will be Summer's main competition.

Reaction Score
IU winning handily over tOSU. IU ran them off the floor in the 3rd, and Mikulasikova simply can't keep up with Holmes, and the IU guards are just better than tOSU's. The one bright spot for them is Cotie McMahon who is a player. This is a pretty good measure of how tOSU will play against top-flight teams.

Reaction Score
IU winning handily over tOSU. IU ran them off the floor in the 3rd, and Mikulasikova simply can't keep up with Holmes, and the IU guards are just better than tOSU's. The one bright spot for them is Cotie McMahon who is a player. This is a pretty good measure of how tOSU will play against top-flight teams.
Agreed, Bone Dog.

As I just wrote on the other board, Indiana might be headed for a No. 1 seed. I believe the Hoosiers are the Big Ten's best team.

Reaction Score
Agreed, Bone Dog.

As I just wrote on the other board, Indiana might be headed for a No. 1 seed. I believe the Hoosiers are the Big Ten's best team.
We'll see. They still have to play Iowa twice. Defending Czinano and Clark will be a handful for them. I hope one of them can reach the Final 4 this season.

Reaction Score
Terps pulls it out thanks to 24 Michigan turnovers and a great performance by Diamond Miller.
Michigan is a perplexing team. There turnover issue drives me batty as they're usually due to overdribbling or panicking. For the number of articles talking about how they've built a culture and have improved since Naz graduated, I don't see it when I see a game like this.

Reaction Score
We'll see. They still have to play Iowa twice. Defending Czinano and Clark will be a handful for them. I hope one of them can reach the Final 4 this season.
Yes, they will be a handful, but I believe Indiana has more balance as a team in comparison to Iowa. Holmes and Czinano, cancel each other out, unless one gets into foul trouble. I think Indiana's guards also have an advantage over Iowa when you look at Garzon, Moore-McNeil and Scalia coming off the bench. The defensive match ups will be very entertaining.

Reaction Score
Yes, they will be a handful, but I believe Indiana has more balance as a team in comparison to Iowa. Holmes and Czinano, cancel each other out, unless one gets into foul trouble. I think Indiana's guards also have an advantage over Iowa when you look at Garzon, Moore-McNeil and Scalia coming off the bench. The defensive match ups will be very entertaining.
Last year, IU was a good team that just ran into UConn at the wrong moment. They looked ready for the Elite Eight. But the crazy seeding because of Paige’s injury had us as a #2 and IU suffered for it. Could they have won against NC St or ND? Maybe.

This year, they look like a better team. Holmes is a bit stronger and maybe even more dominant and they're overall bigger across the backcourt. They also have better perimeter shooting. But they retain their scrappy hustling team spirit. I don’t think this team would have beaten last year’s UConn team either, but it wouldn’t be fair for them to meet us (healthy) in the Sweet Sixteen again. They should be a #1 seed who plays someone like LSU or Utah or UCLA in the Elite Eight, and they’ll have an excellent chance of advancing.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Also, have to mention the great victory by Purdue over Illinois. Very big for them. The Big 10 at this time have 7 teams clearly in the tournament.
No doubt there is some great basketball being played in the Big10 this year but maybe on Jan27 the Big10 has 7, but by the end of the year only 6 will clearly be "in" the NCAAT-Indiana, tOSU, Iowa, Maryland, Mich and Nebraska. The currently slipping fast Illinois has 8 games left and are only favored in 3 including Sunday's game @ Rutgers which is essentially a toss up (66-63). A 19-10 Illinois and a >#51 rating will leave them on the outside.

What has to be considered for the field of 68 is the 32 Conference bids, meaning only 36 at large bids can be accepted and if any of the mid-Majors have an upset that gives away one of the 32, that lessens spots for teams like Illinois. The current cutoff point in Massey Rating would be any school with a rating of >46 is out.

Math is simple- There are 10 conferences whose top team fits easily in the top 50. That means 22 additional bids for Automatic qualifiers fall outside of the top 46. 68 total teams minus 32 AQs=36. 36 remaining bids plus the 10 AQ =46 top rating school will qualify. By Massey #46 is Missouri, who would be in, but #47 Columbia would be out.

Now the "Bracketology" uses combos of NET, RPI, playing trend, injuries and conjecture/subjective posturing by the committee which is ruled by the P5 so maybe Illinois gets in if they can maintain their #51 rating. But that is not "clearly".

Reaction Score
Michigan is a perplexing team. There turnover issue drives me batty as they're usually due to overdribbling or panicking. For the number of articles talking about how they've built a culture and have improved since Naz graduated, I don't see it when I see a game like this.
I'm with u on Michigan. I've watched them a lot and they are pretty up and down. I'm big on Leigha Brown but I wonder if playing point guard takes a toll on her, no different from last year for Stanford we saw increased turnovers for Haley Jones. Yesterday her and the rest of the team seemed to continuously pick up there dribble and force passes.
But big credit to Maryland. I don't think they get enough love for how well they played this season. A top 4 seed is definitely attainable and I didn't expect that with their losses in the portal and lack of size. They've pretty much been in every game and they still have a bit of upside. Sellers ceiling is through the roof and Briggs and Faith are only getting better as the season goes on.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm with u on Michigan. I've watched them a lot and they are pretty up and down. I'm big on Leigha Brown but I wonder if playing point guard takes a toll on her, no different from last year for Stanford we saw increased turnovers for Haley Yesterday her and the rest of the team seemed to continuously pick up there dribble and forcr passes.
But big credit to Maryland. I don't think they get enough love for how well they played this season. A top 4 seed is definitely attainable and I didn't expect that with their losses in the portal and lack of size. They've pretty much been in every game and they still have a bit of upside. Sellers ceiling is through the roof and Briggs and Faith are only getting better as the season goes on.

Here are my thoughts:

1) Michigan Guards: The guard position has been an issue for some time. Dilk was expected to pair well with Hillmon but something happened after her injury. She wasn't the same player. Rauch (now graduated) and Nolan are serviceable, however they're prone to defensive lapses and going cold when they need to score. They added Phelia and Wiggins last year, however Wiggins hasn't caught on for whatever reason. Phelia, in my opinion, should have been given more opportunities as point guard last season to be prepared for this season.

2) Leigha Brown: I don't think playing point guard is the issue. Brown was also turnover prone last season from what I recall. To me, her motor/energy is what takes a toll on her. She tries to do more than required which gets the best of her. She can handle a point guard role, as seen with her 15 assists in a recent game. Finding the right balance is the challenge.

3) Maryland: I think it's because the BIG10 is more of a slugfest at the top than previous seasons. The conference is having their best season with respect to ranked teams, where it used to be Maryland, then everyone else. And even with the transfers out, the expectation was that Maryland would remain on of the top teams in the BIG10. This isn't new to the program.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom