BIG TEN Regular Season | Page 3 | The Boneyard

BIG TEN Regular Season

Reaction Score
As an Illinois alum I am, of course, happy to see that the Illini are no longer a
conference doormat. However, after watching their game last night against a
not very good Northwestern team I suspect that by the end of the season
Illinois will end up somewhere in the middle with the Purdues and Michigan
States of the conference.

Reaction Score
As an Illinois alum I am, of course, happy to see that the Illini are no longer a
conference doormat. However, after watching their game last night against a
not very good Northwestern team I suspect that by the end of the season
Illinois will end up somewhere in the middle with the Purdues and Michigan
States of the conference.
A win is a win. The loss to Indiana was not unexpected, but the loss to Delaware was alarming.

I followed Adalia MacKenzie in high school where she was a scoring machine, and have been waiting for great things from her in college. She's one of those kids whose doesn't have great quickness or height, but just has a great shooting touch and a knack for being in the right place at the right time.

Reaction Score
Nebraska loses to Rutgers on the road. Nebraska is the team that defeated the Terps by 20 points on the road.

Reaction Score
Nebraska loses to Rutgers on the road. Nebraska is the team that defeated the Terps by 20 points on the road.

And the wheel of confusing conference play in the BIG10 continues. We're not even halfway through yet!

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Very proud of how Rutgers played. Gotta take the bright spots where we can find them this year.

I am just so impressed with Kaylene Smikle's game for a freshmen.

Reaction Score
Illinois vs OSU will be an interesting game. Illinois is well-coached. If they can control the pace of the game and limit TOS they have a shot. They are also up against a home crowd.

Reaction Score
Very proud of how Rutgers played. Gotta take the bright spots where we can find them this year.

I am just so impressed with Kaylene Smikle's game for a freshmen.
The Terps couldn't defend Smikle in the game last weekend. She's good.

Reaction Score
Caught the 2nd half of the Iowa at Michigan game. Important win for Iowa's title hopes. Pretty good watch while riding the exercise bike. Great crowd for the Wolverines, announced at 10,700 which is like over 2X their usual. Was fun to see how excited Hawk teammates were for Gabbie Marshall hitting a big three. She was in and out for defense the last minutes and shooting 20% for the year (prior to this years she was a plus 40%er). Seems she's been off since she hurt her shoulder.

Reaction Score
Just more proof that if you are not on your "A" game anything can happen. Props to Rutgers and Coach Washington on getting a huge win.

Reaction Score
Caught the 2nd half of the Iowa at Michigan game. Important win for Iowa's title hopes. Pretty good watch while riding the exercise bike. Great crowd for the Wolverines, announced at 10,700 which is like over 2X their usual. Was fun to see how excited Hawk teammates were for Gabbie Marshall hitting a big three. She was in and out for defense the last minutes and shooting 20% for the year (prior to this years she was a plus 40%er). Seems she's been off since she hurt her shoulder.
Yeah. It was an awesome crowd. Nice game for both teams. Seeing Caitlin Clark in person is something different. Michigan was looking pretty good in that first half. Iowa went zone and then it became of game of runs for both teams. Michigan was up and then down. Like I said, nice game by both teams. Michigan is 13-3 (3-2 Big Ten) & Iowa is 14-2 (4-1 Big Ten).

Reaction Score
I said it another thread, but Shauna Green may be the front runner for National COY, certainly Big 10.
If anyone votes for someone else in the BIG10, I'd be shocked. I'd also be ticked off because it would indicate people aren't paying attention to what she's done for the program. A turnaround like this is seen rarely, let alone beating a top 25 team.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Yeah. It was an awesome crowd. Nice game for both teams. Seeing Caitlin Clark in person is something different. Michigan was looking pretty good in that first half. Iowa went zone and then it became of game of runs for both teams. Michigan was up and then down. Like I said, nice game by both teams. Michigan is 13-3 (3-2 Big Ten) & Iowa is 14-2 (4-1 Big Ten).
This was BY FAR the biggest crowd that Michigan has had at home all year (10,731 vs. 3,237 second best) and beat last year's high of 6,471 in the OPENING Round of the NCAA at home. By contrast, this was the 4th largest crowd this year that Iowa has played in front of.

I am very glad to see the crowds come out and hope they show up when Mich plays against Indiana and tOSU at home!

Illinois gave tOSU a great game in Columbus and the look like they want to contend along with the aforementioned tOSU, Indiana, Iowa with Mich and Maryland lurking.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I just saw that Grace Berger played today. 16 points, 5 assists, zero turnovers.

With any luck, Jaci Sheldon and (not B1G related) Azzi Fudd aren’t far behind.
I was interested to see, with Berger's return, who went to the bench. Figured it would come down to Sydney Parrish or Sara Scalia and, indeed, it was Scalia. However, the former Minnesota sharpshooter played a lot, some 30 minutes. Looks like Moren was employing a guard. Berger is so calm and laser-focused, it rubs off on everyone -- and IU has been playing fine during her absence.

Like you, I look forward to seeing Sheldon back for Ohio State. She brings many of the intangibles to the Buckeyes that Berger does for the Hoosiers.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
That was a tough game -- it was absolutely brutal in the paint. Sydney Parrish will be in the ice bath tonight.

I love watching Indiana. They're very fundamentally sound, nothing fancy. Except for a couple of them, all the players are matter-of-fact in their approach. Sink a three, no change in expression, make a block, no change -- they always act like they're just doing what's expected. Except for that half-court pass from Berger to Holmes that went off the backboard.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That Indiana/Maryland game was intense and a great game to watch. When Maryland tied the game up at 50, it looked like they found their groove, but Indiana had an answer and shut down Maryland. Great win for Indiana.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Minnesota fell to 1-5 in conference with a loss to Rutgers today. Can Whalen survive beyond this season? I don't see how, she just isn't getting it done as a HC.

Reaction Score
Minnesota fell to 1-5 in conference with a loss to Rutgers today. Can Whalen survive beyond this season? I don't see how, she just isn't getting it done as a HC.
No bigger Whalen fan & supporter than myself. She will survive this season and probably take the off season to evaluate if she wants to come back next season. She has a great rapport with the AD and thankfully, her fans and supporters got her back, but we can see the writing on the wall, and you can see coaching is starting to take a lot out of her. Body language reveals so much.

Reaction Score
My first concern isn't the coach, but the star player. Is Mara Braun going to waste a season on a flailing program? She deserves better.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Whalen has 2 more years after this year at $575,000 and $600,000 so there is zero chance she gets fired and they pay another coach. What’s really galling is they gave her the extension in March of 2022. She was 28-44 in conference play with a slew of leading players transferring out. This year she’s again abysmal at 1-5 in Big Ten and 8-9 overall with ONE win again’t a team ranked in the top 143. That’s pathetic by any stretch. Great player, seems like a nice person but the AD had no reason to hire her without any WCBB experience. Heck, she makes Marlene Stollings coaching look good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom