Big Ten could expand beyond additions of USC, UCLA, | The Boneyard

Big Ten could expand beyond additions of USC, UCLA,

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Big Ten could expand beyond additions of USC, UCLA, says commissioner Kevin Warren, if it adds 'additional value' to conference.​

Adam Rittenberg - ESPN Senior Writer

INDIANAPOLIS -- Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren said further expansion beyond USC and UCLA is possible, if done for the right reasons, and the league will take a "bold" approach toward major changes in college athletics.

USC and UCLA, which are set to join the Big Ten for the 2024 season, will receive full revenue shares from the league immediately, Warren said, unlike the three most recent additions: Nebraska, Maryland and Rutgers. The Big Ten is nearing a new media rights agreement, which reportedly will bring in more than $1 billion annually and that Warren hopes to announce "sooner than later."

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
Stupid to say the least. The non revenue sports teams having to fly from NJ to LA for games ? That is going to cost a lot of money. If it was football only it could work but every sport ?

Reaction Score
Stupid to say the least. The non revenue sports teams having to fly from NJ to LA for games ? That is going to cost a lot of money. If it was football only it could work but every sport ?
It how are UCLA and SoCal’s hockey programs?

I dont hear much about Big10 synchronized swimming teams.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Lake Michigan has beaches - but there is no Spring Season.
It’s always hard for me to wrap my mind around the fact that I’m looking at freshwater when I look at at Lake Michigan, or any of the Great Lakes. Being an east coast kid it’s just mind blowing that I’m not looking at the ocean, or at least Long Island sound.

Reaction Score
It’s always hard for me to wrap my mind around the fact that I’m looking at freshwater when I look at at Lake Michigan, or any of the Great Lakes. Being an east coast kid it’s just mind blowing that I’m not looking at the ocean, or at least Long Island sound.
My “other” always weirds out watching movies that show waves on Great Lakes

CL82

Reaction Score
My “other” always weirds out watching movies that show waves on Great Lakes
Especially for those of us who grew up on Long Island sound. There really aren’t any significant waves on it.

Reaction Score
Especially for those of us who grew up on Long Island sound. There really aren’t any significant waves on it.
I always giggle at Florida surfers on the Gulf side. Okay, maybe not “always” as in before a hurricane

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
Beach volleyball in the Big 10?
To give a serious reply to what likely wasn't a serious question, Beach volleyball wasn't included when USC & UCLA decided to join the B1G

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
To give a serious reply to what likely wasn't a serious question, Beach volleyball wasn't included when USC & UCLA decided to join the B1G
I wonder what USC and UCLA will do? I think both are National Title contender level programs in the sport. I wouldn't expect the Pac 12 to allow them to continue to compete. Independent maybe? Or maybe a conference like the WCC or Big West will take them for 1 sport only?

CL82

Reaction Score
Connecticut has a proud tradition as well.

AA245D7B-839A-482E-A189-A3B10209257C.jpeg

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
New Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark who starts work today says the Big 12 is open for business and looking to add new members, especially Pac-12 schools.

Reaction Score
New Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark who starts work today says the Big 12 is open for business and looking to add new members, especially Pac-12 schools.
the big 12 is irrelevant, they don't even get their network. Their fault tho for letting Texas run that conference for so long and the minute Texas dipped they left them out to dry.

Reaction Score
I wonder what USC and UCLA will do? I think both are National Title contender level programs in the sport. I wouldn't expect the Pac 12 to allow them to continue to compete. Independent maybe? Or maybe a conference like the WCC or Big West will take them for 1 sport only?
Both Beach Volleyball and Men's Volleyball (and Water Polo) will not be making the move, because they weren't Pac-12 sports in the first place. Those sports are in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation (MPSF) which exists for sports that have limited participation from a number of other western conferences. So, for example, USC, UCLA, and BYU are bitter conference rivals in MPSF Men's Volleyball.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Both Beach Volleyball and Men's Volleyball (and Water Polo) will not be making the move, because they weren't Pac-12 sports in the first place. Those sports are in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation (MPSF) which exists for sports that have limited participation from a number of other western conferences. So, for example, USC, UCLA, and BYU are bitter conference rivals in MPSF Men's Volleyball.
I am apparently wrong about Beach Volleyball not being a Pac-12 sport. It is a Pac-12 sport and will not be moving to the Big 10, which does not have Beach Volleyball. Frankly, it appears as if Beach Volleyball will be staying in the Pac-12. The news accounts clearly weren't that interested in this little sidebar and contradict each other as to what will happen here. I just spent way too much time at work trying to make sense of this and will now stop looking. I invite anyone with greater knowledge of Beach Volleyball to correct me and educate us all.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom