Big Ten Considering 7 Schools for Expansion | The Boneyard

Big Ten Considering 7 Schools for Expansion

Reaction Score
I don't believe that. No way they'll ever think about Miami and FSU.
This is obviously linked information. Whenever that happens, the motives of the leaker(s) have to be considered.

My immediate reaction to this story was to wonder whether the SEC would stand by and allow the B1G to move into the state of Florida. Provoking such action from the SEC - an action which they might otherwise nit take - could be precisely the intent of such a leak. Adding these 2 could limit other options for the SEC, leaving schools that the B1G really wants like UVA and UNC for the B1G.

Bottom line is that I believe that the story is legit. SI isn’t some random internet blog. It’s just that we don’t know exactly what it means right now other than that the B1G is probably not finished and more moves may come sooner rather than later.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I have a tough time imagining the U being a B1G target by itself. It's a small, private school with a fickle fanbase. Academics are inline with many other B1G institutions but it isn't AAU.

In a game of zero sum strategy it makes sense to take the U along with FSU. It's a double raid of the ACC and moves two ESPN properties to FOX. It takes up the two biggest non-SEC schools in Florida and gives access to the south Florida market for recruits. It's a helluva game for B1G fans to plan to attend each year (Except when they play there in August or September and it's still 100+ heat index). I have a tough time envisioning a scenario where the B1G takes U but doesn't get FSU.

Basically you take the U to take away an ESPN property and a marquee brand while it's still a long ways from its peak value. Much like buying large cap value stocks.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind all of the B1G alumni living in Florida. Also, all of the snowbirds from B1G states who have moved down to Florida over the years. Add in all of the top recruits from Florida. It makes total sense that Florida State and Miami would be under consideration to join the B1G.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Keep in mind all of the B1G alumni living in Florida. Also, all of the snowbirds from B1G states who have moved down to Florida over the years. Add in all of the top recruits from Florida. It makes total sense that Florida State and Miami would be under consideration to join the B1G.

Absolutely! It didn’t seem possible when it was thought that AAU membership was required.

If FSU and Miami are on the take (and it’s possible), my guess it’s going to 20 now with 4 of ND, Miami, FSU, Stanford, Washington or Oregon. My uneducated guess is that they won’t take Miami without FSU. If none of the ACC schools (including ND) are coming, than it’s Cal for #20.

Reaction Score
I don't see anyway Cal is really considered either. Yes "academics" but you handle that in a much better fashion by adding Stanford.

Reaction Score
This is obviously linked information. Whenever that happens, the motives of the leaker(s) have to be considered.

My immediate reaction to this story was to wonder whether the SEC would stand by and allow the B1G to move into the state of Florida. Provoking such action from the SEC - an action which they might otherwise nit take - could be precisely the intent of such a leak. Adding these 2 could limit other options for the SEC, leaving schools that the B1G really wants like UVA and UNC for the B1G.

Bottom line is that I believe that the story is legit. SI isn’t some random internet blog. It’s just that we don’t know exactly what it means right now other than that the B1G is probably not finished and more moves may come sooner rather than later.
Sports Illustrated is not the same as the one we grew up with. Many of their articles are aggregates from outside sources.

Reaction Score
I don't see anyway Cal is really considered either. Yes "academics" but you handle that in a much better fashion by adding Stanford.
Cal + Stanford locks up a huge and affluent Bay Area market, including Silicon Valley with many B1G alums. As the flagship and oldest university in the UC system, Cal also has a large following throughout the nation’s largest state.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Congrats on making the cut! Who would have thought the Big10 would have wanted ND over the likes of Kansas and ISU!
Yeah, not buying it. I don’t see the big 10 taking a small Catholic private school that has a history of being a very self interested conference member.

CL82

Reaction Score
Sports Illustrated is not the same as the one we grew up with. Many of their articles are aggregates from outside sources.
Yep, this is an article on their fan network page that describes a report on another site.

The league has identified seven more schools as a target for potential expansion, according to a report from the Action Network. That’s pretty much Ferris Bueller territory.

Reaction Score
Yeah, not buying it. I don’t see the big 10 taking a small Catholic private school that has a history of being a very self interested conference member.
Sure. The B1G has never been interested in recruiting ND to join them, has shown no interest when ND has begged & pleaded to join the league, and has outright pursued policies which would keep ND ar a distance. That’s why ND joined the ACC. That’s why ND has made a show of maintaining independence, knowing that they had no chance of realizing their dream of joining the B1G. They are in fact a small Catholic private whom no one pays any attention to and which draws low ratings with few viewers when they rarely appear on TV. What’s everyone thinking??? Head bang

CL82

Reaction Score
Sure. The B1G has never been interested in recruiting ND to join them, has shown no interest when ND has begged & pleaded to join the league, and has outright pursued policies which would keep ND ar a distance. That’s why ND joined the ACC. That’s why ND has made a show of maintaining independence, knowing that they had no chance of realizing their dream of joining the B1G. They are in fact a small Catholic private whom no one pays any attention to and which draws low ratings with few viewers when they rarely appear on TV. What’s everyone thinking??? Head bang
Exactly! It’s so obvious when you say it out loud!

Reaction Score
Yep, this is an article on their fan network page that describes a report on another site.

The league has identified seven more schools as a target for potential expansion, according to a report from the Action Network. That’s pretty much Ferris Bueller territory.
That’s Brett McMurphy:

CL82

Reaction Score
That’s Brett McMurphy:

Well, if you think that’s credible…

Will Smith Wow GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

(Seriously, the Big Ten has traditionally played its cards so close to the vest that I have a healthy skepticism of any leak they’re supposed future plans.)

Reaction Score
I called B1G wanting FLA market a while ago. Their interests in FSU and Miami should get all admins at these schools calling lawyers to find holes in the ACC GOR.

It would be torture for the top ACC properties to stay in the ACC while watching B1G and SEC schools getting richer year by year.

B1G needs to take action right now before it's own media deal, and before PAC-12 is locked into its next media deal.

Let's just blow this whole thing up now and get it over with.

dayooper

Reaction Score
Well, if you think that’s credible…

Will Smith Wow GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

(Seriously, the Big Ten has traditionally played its cards so close to the vest that I have a healthy skepticism of any leak they’re supposed future plans.)

Right now, I view anything not from an insider as complete speculation that’s fun to talk about. I view anything from an insider as manipulative from the conferences. They put out what they want other schools to hear.

Example, is what has been going around about the 7 schools being looked at for expansion trying to put the screws on UNC and UVA? FSU and Miami leaving would damage the ACC severely (no Florida, only 1 football name in a conference that has so few). Is this the Big10 saying this is the time or get left behind?

dayooper

Reaction Score
Yes. It’s outlandish. Some people are even buying the rumors that USC and UCLA are joining the Big Ten, half way across the country. Laughable

That’s almost as bad as someone insinuating that Oklahoma is breaking away from Okie State. The WVU Dude says that isn’t possible so it can’t happen!

Reaction Score
It would be torture for the top ACC properties to stay in the ACC while watching B1G and SEC schools getting richer year by year.

Well then they shouldn't have signed the GOR.

Making less money shouldn't weaken powerful football programs like FSU and Clemson, they both still make more than enough money to compete. Just last year one of the best teams in the country was Cincy and they make far less than Clemson and FSU.

The nerve of these very rich programs claiming they need more money to compete in amateur sports. What a joke.

CL82

Reaction Score
That’s almost as bad as someone insinuating that Oklahoma is breaking away from Okie State. The WVU Dude says that isn’t possible so it can’t happen!
Well, he is the single most credible voice in realignment.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom