Big Sky - Yellowstone - Glacier National Park in summer | The Boneyard

Big Sky - Yellowstone - Glacier National Park in summer

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Looking at next summer and I've long wanted to do a family vacation in Big Sky/Rockies or Tetons country. Unfortunately, with a HS aged daughter we are restricted to summer for the most part. Yet I hear that Yellowstone is very crowded and hot as hell in summer. Have considered Grand Canyon and monument valley Utah, but that's even hotter.

Have any of you done one these big western states trips in summertime? I'm not sure how I'd feel about big crowds on a trip like that. wondered in Glacier National park or perhaps Calgary and Banff National Park might be less crowded and cooler.

I'm open to suggestions.

Reaction Score
We've traveled extensively in the Western mountain states, although usually in September. The weather is dependent on what side of the mountains you're on (warmer/drier in the east) and your altitude. We've gone from HOT weather in Denver to being snowed out of Rocky Mountain park a few days later.
We've needed to get wool caps and gloves in Yellowstone in mid-September. Even then, though, it was crowded, especially around attractions like Old Faithful. One way to beat the heat is to swim, and there are lots of opportunities in Yellowstone, many of which are not well known and thus not overrun. The Wind River range just to the east is also gorgeous and not crowded.
We love the Canadian Rockies. Banff, Lake Louise will be crowded, but you can easily get away from crowds by visiting less known, but equally beautiful parks. Yoho is magnificent; and access to the Lake O'Hara area is restricted to limited buses each day. Kootenay, Glacier, and Provincial Parks Mount Robson and Mount Assiniboine are also less traveled and have spectacular peaks.
Crowds tend to build on roadside attractions. You can escape many by even going on short hikes. Colorado is another beautiful state to get into the mountains. There are several nat'l parks, ski areas like Aspen that have close-by hiking and mountain towns like Ouray and Telluride that have really fun jeep rides into the hills. Lots of hot springs; great after a day of hiking.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I've been to many of the National Parks out West (not Utah/Arizona much). Sure they're crowded, but still worth it IMO. Yellowstone is the one that I really have a hard time with. Usually after a day or so I'm ready to leave. But the geothermal features and very high likelihood of seeing large animals up close are one of a kind as far as I'm aware of. Teton and Glacier both have more dramatic and scenic landscapes to me. My favorite thing about Yellowstone is...the Beartooth Range almost immediately outside the Park.

Summertime temperatures...meh. Sure it can be warm but you're at a decent elevation so it's usually not too bad. Also out West we usually don't have much humidity to deal with. I can't see how it would be worse than most places along the East Coast, the Midwest or the South as far as temperature and comfort level.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Cheddie brings up a good point. National Parks in both the U.S. and Canada are crowd magnets. In both countries you can find equally good scenery in Wilderness Areas (U.S.) or Provincial Parks (Canada) without the same amout of amenities/development. For me going on road trips is synonymous with lots of hiking, so the lodges and visitor centers aren't really necessary for me. YMMV.

Just to throw something else out there, I've thoroughly enjoyed several visits to the Sawtooths in Idaho. Stanley is a small town with a few restaurants and lodging. Redfish Lake has a lodge, cabins and several campgrounds. Tons of hiking trails around there, rafting outfitters, you can probably rent kayaks or canoes. One of the forks of the Salmon River passes right thru there, Redfish Lake is big and there are a bunch of smaller lakes, some you can reach by car and others you have to hoof it to get to. Absolutely gorgeous country. It's not an unknown gem, but I think compared to the National Parks in Montana and Wyoming it's not nearly as crowded.

Reaction Score
If you can get to Yellowstone before July 1 it's a bit more manageable. Even 1 year out you're going to have trouble finding rooms in the park, though. Once you hit July the crowds are unmanageable, particularly near the Norris Geyser Basin, Grand Prismatic, Lower Falls/Artist Point, and Mammoth Hot Springs.

Teton is more manageable from a crowd standpoint, as there are not as many particular spots that attract the crowds.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Are you camping or looking for lodging? That will be a huge factor. I can't help you with the latter, but if you are camping, doing Glacier and Banff/Jasper is very doable. Even if camping spots in the park are booked (likely the case for Glacier), there are plenty of decent private options nearby and the park itself will not feel jammed. Could easily do both in the same trip.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Thanks folks. Some great information here. I don't think my wife has been camping a single day in her life. My total is probably under 10. She's been looking at the expensive packages from Austin or Disney that include everything. Normally we are road warriors doing a lot of driving from place to to place on our trips and avoid organized tours. Not sure that works in this case.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Thanks folks. Some great information here. I don't think my wife has been camping a single day in her life. My total is probably under 10. She's been looking at the expensive packages from Austin or Disney that include everything. Normally we are road warriors doing a lot of driving from place to to place on our trips and avoid organized tours. Not sure that works in this case.
In that case I recommend the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise. We used the restrooms there and hung out on the grounds looking out at Lake Louise and it looked pretty sweet.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Well we had friends over, and while chatting with them somehow my wife convinced them to go to Ireland with us next year (starting in Northern Ireland down the west coast). So it looks like the U.S. west trip is out for 2020.

I'd start that thread but there is no need. I've been five times and my wife eight times. She will have every second of it planned by Halloween. Will be fun to do it with friends.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Well we had friends over, and while chatting with them somehow my wife convinced them to go to Ireland with us next year (starting in Northern Ireland down the west coast). So it looks like the U.S. west trip is out for 2020.

I'd start that thread but there is no need. I've been five times and my wife eight times. She will have every second of it planned by Halloween. Will be fun to do it with friends.
This was nice meal and a fun night; we did the tasting menu:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
This was nice meal and a fun night; we did the tasting menu:

I don't doubt it's great. Did go to a Michelin starred place in Dublin on our honeymoon. But we are kind of pub food people. 7 craft beer bars in Galway - This is Galway

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I don't doubt it's great. Did go to a Michelin starred place in Dublin on our honeymoon. But we are kind of pub food people. 7 craft beer bars in Galway - This is Galway
We are, too. And we spent a wonderful afternoon at The Salthouse, which I recommend.

We spent three days and nights in Galway in the middle of a 17-day trip to England, Wales and Ireland and we got damned tired of pub food, so Loam was a splurge.

McDonagh's was the best fish and chips we found; and Martine's across the street had a more varied menu and excellent food and service.

Lots of great sessions, especially at Tig Coili.

Reaction Score
Looking at next summer and I've long wanted to do a family vacation in Big Sky/Rockies or Tetons country. Unfortunately, with a HS aged daughter we are restricted to summer for the most part. Yet I hear that Yellowstone is very crowded and hot as hell in summer. Have considered Grand Canyon and monument valley Utah, but that's even hotter.

Have any of you done one these big western states trips in summertime? I'm not sure how I'd feel about big crowds on a trip like that. wondered in Glacier National park or perhaps Calgary and Banff National Park might be less crowded and cooler.

I'm open to suggestions.
@HuskyHawk

I did the trip to Jackson Hole, Wyoming about 14 years ago. We stayed in Jackson Hole right near Grand Teton National Park. We did the guided trip tour to Yellowstone. 2 hours there, 2 hours back. Long day. But you see some of the big parts of the park. Yellowstone is massive. You could spend there a week yourselves. But I found the day trip to be adequate. We went the first week in August. It was crowded, but not hot at all. Maybe 80 during the day. 40s at night. No humidity.

It was the best vacation I've ever taken. We did white water rafting in Jackson Hole. We did a jeep tour near the Teton national park where we saw 200 buffalo. Played golf. Jackson Hole is a great town. And I think Grand Teton National Park is so underrated.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
It's moot to the OP now, but speaking of Jackson Hole, some of the Clint Eastwood film "Every Which Way But Loose" was filmed there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom