Big East | The Boneyard

Big East

Who wins the Big East Tournament this year?

• DePaul

Votes: 22 100.0%
  • Marquette

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Creighton

• Othet

• Total voters
Reaction Score
The top of the Big East this year looks strong. Certainly this will be an upgrade for the Huskies in upcoming years for in conference play. What do you think the chances are that Creighton will break through and win a title? The top three teams do appear to be poised to make a run in the tournament. My ASU Sun Devils are scheduled to play Creighton on the 20th so I'll get to see that team in person. Really looking forward to seeing the Blue Jays. Do they have a chance to win their first Big East tournament title?

Reaction Score
I saw DePaul up close at OSU. That team is well-placed to make noise in the tournament, but I'm not convinced that they will win their conference. If Creighton is going to win some hardware, I think it's more likely in the regular season.

Reaction Score
I saw DePaul up close at OSU. That team is well-placed to make noise in the tournament, but I'm not convinced that they will win their conference. If Creighton is going to win some hardware, I think it's more likely in the regular season.
OSU got DePaul at home, and early in the season. I've watched DePaul play a couple more games, and they are improving fast. They are going to break the hearts of some school's fan base in the NCAA Tournament, if not before in regular season play.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
azfan, have you seen any indication that the Pac12 network is going to resolve it's problems with the television networks that dropped them last year?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
azfan, have you seen any indication that the Pac12 network is going to resolve it's problems with the television networks that dropped them last year?
Not to steal @azfan 's thunder, but I found this article (from February) very informative:

So to answer your question, it would appear not?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Hey, the Pac 12 has the best...oops, I mean the worst commissioner of any major conference. I'm sure he's totally on top of it with TV coverage. :oops:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Creighton is not new news. Saw them play at Duke in a tourney years ago. Always competitive and well coached.

Reaction Score
Great article. There are so many dimensions to this story. The commissioner of the Pac-12 Larry Scott has come under criticism for the Pac 12 Network paltry revenue streams.

The AZPBS article underscores the network has been remarkably unsuccessful at monetizing the conference's athletics.

Scott's view of the value of the content provided by the Pac-12 is at odds with the need for adequate distribution. I think he envisioned the Pac-12 network as something beyond what the Big Ten, the SEC, and Texas have done. Unfortunately without any distribution the network that is the Pac-12 network is left with very very limited audience size.

I can't find the article but there was discussion by the athletic directors at the PAC 12 schools to go ahead and make the decision to sell their ownership interest in the Pac-12 network to one of the big distribution media sites. Certainly from the standpoint of income the Pac-12 schools are suffering and it a disadvantage as the article Plebe pointed out for an ongoing income.

I'm not really certain how much the ownership stake in Pac-12 will be worth. Larry Scott I think really missed the boat and not partnering Pac-12 with Fox or ESPN.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Great article. There are so many dimensions to this story. The commissioner of the Pac-12 Larry Scott has come under criticism for the Pac 12 Network paltry revenue streams.

The AZPBS article underscores the network has been remarkably unsuccessful at monetizing the conference's athletics.

Scott's view of the value of the content provided by the Pac-12 is at odds with the need for adequate distribution. I think he envisioned the Pac-12 network as something beyond what the Big Ten, the SEC, and Texas have done. Unfortunately without any distribution the network that is the Pac-12 network is left with very very limited audience size.

I can't find the article but there was discussion by the athletic directors at the PAC 12 schools to go ahead and make the decision to sell their ownership interest in the Pac-12 network to one of the big distribution media sites. Certainly from the standpoint of income the Pac-12 schools are suffering and it a disadvantage as the article Plebe pointed out for an ongoing income.

I'm not really certain how much the ownership stake in Pac-12 will be worth. Larry Scott I think really missed the boat and not partnering Pac-12 with Fox or ESPN.
The egregious financial tone-deafness and irresponsibility of the Pac-12 leadership is stunning:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Thank you Plebe and azfan for the very interesting information.

Reaction Score
Creighton is not new news. Saw them play at Duke in a tourney years ago. Always competitive and well coached.
The December 20th game between ASU and Creighton looms large. After the Devils last home game CTT challenged her team in terms of film preparation and shooting practice. She indicated that the team is not investing enough time off the court and the amazing statement that in the game against Idaho State her team did not run 75% of the offensive sets correctly or at all. This partially explains the Devil's pathetic shooting to date. For the first time that I can remember in the preseason the Devils are being outshot including three-point and free throws. This is damning given the weak quality of the non-conference schedule. The Devils were very fortunate to beat Idaho State. The New Mexico game also looks like it will be a tough one and after New Mexico State I see the Devils losing to Creighton at home probably by double digits. I'm not sure there's enough time for the team to remediate their lack of film preparation and shooting in practice. We'll see. While the Devil's continue to struggle the UArizona (I know, silly, right?) Wildcats have overcome injuries and are performing at a high level. I acknowledge that their non-conference schedule (with the exception of the game in Austin) is weaker than the Devil's but they appear to be firing on all cylinders. McDonald and Reese are playing at all conference levels. That game on the 29th will be an indication how the Devils will perform in the conference.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom