Big East expansion exercise approaching 2025… | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Big East expansion exercise approaching 2025…

Reaction Score
Yeah I’m just saying the Big East really doesn’t care about temples football record, and in fact considers the fact that it plays football on net negative.

Everyone who has a favorite to join the Big East is sure that their basketball will get better. I’d rather get a team that consistently has played better basketball already and not have to hope for the best.
Maybe Temple would be welcome to the New Big East if they were bad at football?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Maybe Temple would be welcome to the New Big East if they were bad at football?
It really hasn’t helped us much

Reaction Score
Seemed like UConn received a warm welcome the day that it was announced by the BE Commissioner, but I am sure there is animosity towards UConn by some of the members. I am not sure Temple would want to go independent in football anyways, which would be most likely were they to join the BE.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Seemed like UConn received a warm welcome the day that it was announced by the BE Commissioner, but I am sure there is animosity towards UConn by some of the members. I am not sure Temple would want to go independent in football anyways, which would be most likely were they to join the BE.
There is an undercurrent of the Big East being a league of basketball only‘s, or at least none D1 football schools. For UConn our contract included a number of provisions due to our status as a football D1, That hint at some organizational reluctance to get in bed with football schools. I’m not sure that temple moves the needle enough to overcome that.

Reaction Score
There is an undercurrent of the Big East being a league of basketball only‘s, or at least none D1 football schools. For UConn our contract included a number of provisions due to our status as a football D1, That hint at some organizational reluctance to get in bed with football schools. I’m not sure that temple moves the needle enough to overcome that.
Yes, the Catholic 7 hated that the Big East became too focused (for their liking) on football, enough so they bolted. They don't want that to happen again. They took us only because our basketball brand is so strong. They were willing to put up with our football aspirations only because of that, and only if the number of members with football aspirations remains really low.

Reaction Score
Yes, the Catholic 7 hated that the Big East became too focused (for their liking) on football, enough so they bolted. They don't want that to happen again. They took us only because our basketball brand is so strong. They were willing to put up with our football aspirations only because of that, and only if the number of members with football aspirations remains really low.
It was a combination of that and that they added schools that actually hurt their basketball strength (i.e. East Carolina and Tulane).

Regarding Temple, it's ridiculous to compare them or UMass to UConn. As I said before, UConn isn't back because of their market (where their hold is immeasurably higher than Temple or UMass in their markets). It's because they are a national brand with a major commitment to basketball and a record of success. The fact that they were a long-term member of the conference also helped. Any additional members added with not be based on spec. It will be a school(s) that has national recognition in basketball with a proven record and financial commitment.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom