Big East Considering Bubble | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Big East Considering Bubble

Reaction Score
Uh--the B1G and Pac12 are canceling football this morning.

Contracts be damned

If the NBA can do it, and the student athletes want to do it, it’s a lot easier to do for b-ball than football. My point is that I think the players will want to. There’s a lot to consider but given the option of taking classes on line at home or in a dorm vs getting to play on national television in a nice hotel with your team, I’m betting the players jump at the chance to play.

I think the optics are fine. Student athletes are treated differently that normal students every step of the way.

Reaction Score
If the NBA can do it, and the student athletes want to do it, it’s a lot easier to do for b-ball than football. My point is that I think the players will want to. There’s a lot to consider but given the option of taking classes on line at home or in a dorm vs getting to play on national television in a nice hotel with your team, I’m betting the players jump at the chance to play.

I think the optics are fine. Student athletes are treated differently that normal students every step of the way.

There is a world of difference between pros who sign contracts and players who don't. There's an ethical question involved for the colleges, but also a financial one. The pros have absolutely no concern where these two things come in.

Reaction Score
PAC12 cancelled ALL sports in 2020 which includes hoops. Other conferences will follow. Forget the bubble

Reaction Score
The Athletic posted an excellent and highly entertaining article where they created non-conference bubbles for every D1 team. There were 44 bubbles in total.

They tried their best to diversify high-major, mid-major and low-major talent while prioritizing location.

They put UConn in one NYC bubble that included Penn State, Princeton, Iona, Quinnipiac, NJIT, Wagner, Fairleigh Dickinson. The Boston one included Providence, Rhode Island, Vermont, Harvard, Boston College, Bryant, Hartford and Northeastern.

Overall, a fantastic read.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The Athletic posted an excellent and highly entertaining article where they created non-conference bubbles for every D1 team. There were 44 bubbles in total.

They tried their best to diversify high-major, mid-major and low-major talent while prioritizing location.

They put UConn in one NYC bubble that included Penn State, Princeton, Iona, Quinnipiac, NJIT, Wagner, Fairleigh Dickinson. The Boston one included Providence, Rhode Island, Vermont, Harvard, Boston College, Bryant, Hartford and Northeastern.

Overall, a fantastic read.
Id rather not play the season if this happens.

Reaction Score
The breakdown sounds like a depressing preseason tournament at each location. Yick.

Reaction Score
I would add that IF the conferences cancel football, then you can't expect basketball or other sports to continue prior to a vaccine. I highly doubt that they will play any other sports if they make this football decision.

If they cancel football it will mean that all sports are to be canceled. The decision will not be specific or due to the particularities of the sport of football.
I think they will try for hoops, but we are taking January IMO on campus. I think post-thanksgiving bubbles might work for non-conf games.

only way to work is a bubble.

Reaction Score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't college students actually have things called classes?

QuickDraw

NCSWIC
Reaction Score
I would take a season in the bubble instead of no season at all for many reasons. This may be the last chance we get to see Bouk dress as a Husky if there is a season, others will continue to mature and move on regardless of unused eligibility. A season in almost any form would be better than none. I agree that no fans would suck but I still prefer it to no games.

Reaction Score
I think they will try for hoops, but we are taking January IMO on campus. I think post-thanksgiving bubbles might work for non-conf games.

only way to work is a bubble.
Everyone is saying basketball must start in January. I don’t agree. The safest time is when students are off campus- Thanksgiving to January.

Reaction Score
NCAA Tournament in May? Heck yeah, bring it on.

Today we are publishing the first in a two-part series on what the NCAA can and should do, and contingencies it must have on call, in order to give college basketball its best chance at having basketball in the winter and spring of 2021. The NCAA and its membership needs the tournament to tip in 2021, lest athletic departments "get sent back to the ice age," as one coach expressed to me recently. Another coach -- the most prominent in college athletics, the one down at Duke -- has been openly urgent on this as well.

In July, Mike Krzyzewski said this: "We need to have the NCAA Tournament and we need to have some contingency plans based on when the season would start. Everyone says it's going to start on time. We'll see. I would like for us to take a great look at contingency plans, when it might also be. Can it be in April, can it be in May? But we need -- and the NCAA needs -- (the) men's NCAA Tournament. If you don't have it two years in a row, the NCAA, financially, could go in another direction."

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't college students actually have things called classes?
Like Allen Iverson, Zion, and probably most of the UNC MBB program etc?
There are tons of NCAA mens basketball players who never stepped into a classroom
It's totally wrong but its reality

Reaction Score
So what you're telling me is college kids, who are mini celebrities on campus, are really going to sequester themselves from the rest of the world so they can play basketball for free?

Yeah sure. And I've got a big beautiful wall down south for sale if anyone's interested.
Not playing for free. Remember, they are on a full scholarship to a major university. Give that same opportunity, to some kid working his or her butt off to pay for school and watch how quickly many of them submit to sequester and the opportunity to play basketball. People gotta stop lobbying for the players. They are getting a free college education. So just do it or pay your own way in college.

Reaction Score
Like Allen Iverson, Zion, and probably most of the UNC MBB program etc?
There are tons of NCAA mens basketball players who never stepped into a classroom
It's totally wrong but its reality
Add Melo to that list, heard a few stories.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom